Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:10 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,644 times

Advertisements

And while not my dog per se, I'm training a lab puppy for agility comps, and last week started the foundation of getting him to do lead changes like a horse. It's crazy how fast they learn when they're young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times
Default What's the smartest thing your dog does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Every dog I've ever owned has been smart enough to get me to pay for all their room and board as well as medical and travel (to the park) expenses in exchange for what? Barking too much, looking cute, allowing me to give them tummy rubs, hogging the bed, etc. ?

Yeah, I got the better end of the deal.
Really she doesn't do anything really smart...but she is very smart.

I was thinking along these lines with my "rescue" who has really come a long way in the time I've had her so just thinking about how far she has to go (to get really "normal) I'd say she's really, really smart in that no matter what she does that she shouldn't (going for walks to do her business is a testament to my insanity) she will always redeem herself 10 fold before the day is out. I don't know how she pulls that off every single day.

Truth be told, she is just very smart but also just as equally, very crazy as well.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:57 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,058 times
I forgot one thing else that Louis did that amazed my fiance when it happened. She was trying to get the puppy, Marie to sit. She had the treats and had Louis sit, give paw, lay down, all that good stuff. Then it came Marie's turn. "Sit! Sit! Marie Sit!.." Then Louis getting agitated that she won't sit down gets up and hits her on the butt for her to sit down. They both got a treat for that one!

Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,166 times
When I first got my poodle I was single and I was really strict with his training. I actually got the instruction book dog training for dummies, so everything was by the book.

I had taught him to 'go lay down' whenever I would eat because I didn't want him to get in the bad habit of begging. He was very obedient and would look away when I was eating and go lay down. Around the same time, I also taught him to 'sit pretty' and would give him a treat (dog treat) for doing that trick.

One time I sat down to eat and I had told him to 'go lay down' and he went to lay down in the corner (good boy). Then while I as eating, I look over and he would sit up pretty every time I would look at him. lol

It was too cute so I fed him from my dinner plate and now he begs and I share my dinner with him so there went that.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:11 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
When I first got my poodle I was single and I was really strict with his training. I actually got the instruction book dog training for dummies, so everything was by the book.

I had taught him to 'go lay down' whenever I would eat because I didn't want him to get in the bad habit of begging. He was very obedient and would look away when I was eating and go lay down. Around the same time, I also taught him to 'sit pretty' and would give him a treat (dog treat) for doing that trick.

One time I sat down to eat and I had told him to 'go lay down' and he went to lay down in the corner (good boy). Then while I as eating, I look over and he would sit up pretty every time I would look at him. lol

It was too cute so I fed him from my dinner plate and now he begs and I share my dinner with him so there went that.
DH has a dog who will "sit pretty" without a command when she wants something, usually to remind him that he should be perfectly aware that it is dinner time.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
The dog i mentioned in the first post would sit up, then I'd go BANG! and she'd fall over and play dead.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:11 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's cool!
My Basset can open kitchen cabinets and drawers. He can screw off the tops of any plastic bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I had four Bassets and they are too short to be countersurfers but they know their way around the lower four feet of a kitchen! LOL
Adorable, as usual...

Here's a photo I thought had been lost for years but recently turned up.

Our beloved Basset [with some Beagle, I think] was usually just really nutty, but would surprise us once in a while with some shenanigans like showing us he's hungry by bringing us his bowl.

What's the smartest thing your dog does?-bassets-dinner-bell-c.1965.jpg

Old 11-27-2016, 05:40 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,064 times
dear OP, kudos for you for sticking by these dogs,( please please stick by them, it matters)...
they are such faithful and vulnerable animals (a cat is waaaaaay less attached to their owners, for ex)...

Old 11-28-2016, 01:57 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,171,757 times
Several years ago I taught my Malamute/Wolf hybrid how to do an army crawl with hand signals. Several years went by where we hadn't practiced it. On a whim, I gave him the signal and he immediately dropped down and did the crawl.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:34 PM

483 posts, read 418,070 times
Besides basic training that I very rarely bring up (as test) to see if my Roman remembers (and he does)...

Hubs and I are more body cues people and believe in that free spirited soul of our Roman. He is smart enuff to actually appreciate it by reciprocating in a very gentlemanly manner as not to disappoint us. Why the relationship with Roman and us (his mom n pop) is amazing. Yes.. Amazing!!!

To start off.. he belongs to one of the hardest to train breed. At 70+ something rank.
He is a Great Pyrenees.
Aka.. Dissapyr.
Means ask him to stay, sit, shake.. it remains standing.
Then at come.. the spot is empty.

Roman does all that. Collarless (he is chipped but we can put the collar on him at will, anytime of the day because only on walks n hikes he gets collared. At home he remains naked). I almost never needs to ask him to come. He will come and hang by my side everytime he knows I am there.. and will brush by me (like a cat) fur touching if he has to leave a while (to bark / drink etc) and comes back to say.. nope I didn't leave ya (sane method during off leash hikes).

I know he is super smart.
My cat can teach him to ring the bell to be let out.
He walks beautifully even without insisting him to heel.
(As puppy he was very stubborn, pulled like a horse. So I tried using prong on him.. and it hurts {I know trying to remove it from him} him worse and he bucked like a bronco. I took it off, show him both the regular collar and the prong.. he understood.. he actually nosed the regular collar. Walked nice ever.)

He reads our body cues without letting instincts taking over.
Means when he reads what we want at even many potentially dangerous situations (like encountering another aggressive dog, a couple horses, a bull etc) he is calm and looked to us for "directions".

There are plenty of stories to share..
But it would be so long a documentary.

Just to say..
Roman is the smartest *free willed* boy I have ever met.
Smarter than my old soul dog and that boy was also very smart.
❤❤❤
Attached Thumbnails
What's the smartest thing your dog does?-fb_img_1480214704906.jpg   What's the smartest thing your dog does?-fb_img_1463058853395.jpg   What's the smartest thing your dog does?-fb_img_1470956042882.jpg   What's the smartest thing your dog does?-fb_img_1463059152876.jpg   What's the smartest thing your dog does?-fb_img_1463059049767.jpg  

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs