Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times

Advertisements

This dog passed a few years ago but I'd take her on camping trips nearly every weekend. She learned by herself how to open the tent in a non destructive manner. She'd find the zipper handle and use her nose to push it open. What's interesting is she knew how to do this on any tent no matter where the zipper handle was as long as it was within her reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
That's cool!

My Basset can open kitchen cabinets and drawers. He can screw off the tops of any plastic bottle.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's cool!
I mentioned this in another thread, once she was in a den type environment like a tent she got very protective epsecially if there was someone in the tent and you weren't in the "club" which was a few select friends around a lot. My one friend who wasn't around much had a tent just like mine and she ended up in there. He went to go to sleep and he comes back becsue the dog wouldn't let him in the tent.

If I was sleeping the "club" narrowed to a group of 2, you couldn't get anywhere near me without getting smiled at and it didn't matter who you were. It was nice because our group of friends was know for pranking people when they were sleeping

Old 06-07-2014, 08:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
My husband had a lab mix who laid under his truck and growled at anyone who walked by wearing sneakers or boots. Anyone wearing fishing waders were acceptable to him.

The Basset has been opening the refrigerator door all week. He keeps getting his canned food out of there. He doesn't touch anything else. This is a new development because we always fed him dry food in the past. I wish he'd realize he needs to close the door!

Old 06-07-2014, 08:31 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,168 times
My jack rat developed a 'thing' for keys at an early age. She loves 'to go'.
One day I was talking about going to the store, she grabbed my keys and was so excited.
He excitement is too much and she tries to being me the keys, but they just fly off some direction and she will get them again.
We tested her one day, put three rings of keys in a pile (mine, hubs, and BIL) and asked her for a specific set. She picked up each set, tossed them and then picked up the right set and brought them to the proper person.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:36 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
Every dog I've ever owned has been smart enough to get me to pay for all their room and board as well as medical and travel (to the park) expenses in exchange for what? Barking too much, looking cute, allowing me to give them tummy rubs, hogging the bed, etc. ?

Yeah, I got the better end of the deal.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:08 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Every dog I've ever owned has been smart enough to get me to pay for all their room and board as well as medical and travel (to the park) expenses in exchange for what? Barking too much, looking cute, allowing me to give them tummy rubs, hogging the bed, etc. ?

Yeah, I got the better end of the deal.
Very Funny!

Mine Too

Old 06-07-2014, 01:01 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
I'm still thinking.
Just kidding, but they don't do anything quite as clever and different as your dog or Hopes'. I do wonder how they pick up on very subtle clues, usually having to do with when I'm going to take them for a walk. We don't go at any particular time of day, but I can get up to go get the leashes and often, somehow they just know. Or the other day, I went into a closet to get poop bags out. It's a closet I go into many times a day for reasons that have nothing to do with them. But somehow one of my dogs knew, from another room down the hall, that I'd taken the poop bags out. I'd love to know how that happens.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:25 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,016 times
One of my dogs runs to me and barks if the other dog is having a seizure.
He also guards my food for me from the chow hounds if I get distracted and have to leave my plate on the coffee table while I take a call or whatever.
And he sounds the alarm if any of the others are into something they shouldn't be (like the trash). One of the best dogs I've ever owned, no question, and all of this is stuff he's picked up on his own.
Love him, he's the best thing ever!

Old 06-07-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
He excitement is too much and she tries to being me the keys, but they just fly off some direction and she will get them again.
Now that's cool, have you tried hiding them? That would be excellent as I'm always losing my keys.

The dog we have now I had her getting the leash on command but gave up because she was chewing on it too much. She was still young and it was leather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs