Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:37 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,001 times

Advertisements

I like the idea that the other poster said about finding someone now who can come visit you and your dog every once in awhile, and will become someone that your dog looks forward to seeing. Then they can stay in your house for the duration of your trip with your dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 12:42 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans213 View Post
The fact that u are Asking if it is horrible to do or not, days to me that you are having some hesitation and guilt about makin this decision. And that you will prob have guilt and feel bad for the rest of your life if you do it. I could be mistaken tho.
Yes I believe you are very mistaken. Anybody who did not question if it should be done or if this is the right time is somebody without a heart. It is an agonizing decision fraught with anxiety and second guessing at every turn. Obviously this is something you have never faced. You will feel differently when you do. The only guilt involved is usually when people realize they waited too long.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:14 AM

857 posts, read 2,216,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We had a similar situation with our elder Bluetick coonhound. She was old, very arthritic and lame (from a viscous attack many years back by a Boxer). The older and more lame she got the less she could tolerate staying at a kennel.

She was quite hobbled (and in pain) and she started to develop some kidney issues. We took her to the vet and it was a 60/40 chance of survival for her on treatment, but in all honesty she was at the end of her life.

I am an owner that will not let my dog live in suffering to benefit me or my family, I have to do what I feel is right for my animal. With that, I chose to put her to sleep with me present and with her. One of the hardest things an owner has to do. I will add that I am also a farmboy and have been tasked with animal husbandry a long time. Most of our 'ilk' tend to side like that. It's not selfishness that drives our decision, it is pure compassion and respect.

You need to do whats best for the animal and yourselves, especially if you feel it is suffering.

I think you have given the Op good Advice.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:02 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
You also have to consider, if she is still alive at that time, how upset she might be with you gone -- even if you find someone to stay at your house. After loving a dog for 13 years, to have her die without you holding her in your arms would be quite sad. If she is fragile, its unlikely she will live much longer. I think it would be pretty hard on her being apart from you for 3 weeks even if she is still in her own home. She very well could die while you are away.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:05 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I'm not trying to blast you, OP - I'm really not...only you can decide what is right for you. But since you asked - that would be the absolute most miserable vacation of my life if I planned putting my dog down around being gone.

I'd look for someone who could start right now dropping by the house and letting your dog become familiar with them. If the dog doesn't make it until then, at least you were planning ahead. I would think the price you would pay for a live-in would be small compared to the peace of mind that comes with knowing you are doing everything possible. Perhaps there's a college student in your area who would be thrilled to stay in your home for a few weeks?

It's a difficult decision, it really is - but I personally plan my vacations around my dogs and not the other way around. Maybe that's why I'm considered a little odd
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Then I must be a little odd too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans213 View Post
Me too!

We take our dog and both cats with us when we travel and they all love going for the ride.
The cats will lay in the front window after we get the motor home parked and watch outside all night long. Then when the sun starts coming up they go to their favorite hiding spot in the motor home and sleep all day.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:15 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Thanks all for the input. I guess I will have to ride out this one until we get closer to October. Can't possibly take this dog to Dublin with us. My husband has been training for this marathon for a very, very long time and the 3-week trip is paid for and planned. She will be going with us to Florida in September for a week, and we always drive so she can join us. We have tried in-home dog sitters and have never found someone we are satisfied with. She used to stay with my adult son & his family but their home has many levels and even steps down from deck to yard -- she cannot handle the steps. I will, however, work on finding someone to come here.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:41 AM

857 posts, read 2,216,261 times
ALL MY BEST.

It is heart wrenching to loose a pet and guilt though not needed, must go with putting an old dog down.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:20 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Thanks all for the input. I guess I will have to ride out this one until we get closer to October. Can't possibly take this dog to Dublin with us. My husband has been training for this marathon for a very, very long time and the 3-week trip is paid for and planned. She will be going with us to Florida in September for a week, and we always drive so she can join us. We have tried in-home dog sitters and have never found someone we are satisfied with. She used to stay with my adult son & his family but their home has many levels and even steps down from deck to yard -- she cannot handle the steps. I will, however, work on finding someone to come here.
I can tell from your posts that you love your dog very much. You know her better than we do and I know you'll make the best possible decision when the time comes. It won't be an easy one, I know, but I support you.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:53 AM

429 posts, read 971,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Yes I believe you are very mistaken. Anybody who did not question if it should be done or if this is the right time is somebody without a heart. It is an agonizing decision fraught with anxiety and second guessing at every turn. Obviously this is something you have never faced. You will feel differently when you do. The only guilt involved is usually when people realize they waited too long.
i dont think you understood what i was saying at all. and based on your comment it is very clear that you in fact did not understand what i was saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs