Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 06:48 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times

Advertisements

Does it appear to anyone else that the OP really hasn't done any research or even read other posts here at C-D? Also it looks to me like OP would like a well-behaved dog on a leash out in public because it might impress others.

I was really concerned when OP said he liked children but didn't like them when they misbehaved and the same with dogs. That, to me, is a red flag and he should avoid having both. I never dislike my children or pets because they misbehave and that will send a message to the child/pet.

OP, why don't you ask all these prize winning friends who inherited your dogs how they do it? They have a relationship between the dog and the person which I am not sure that you can develop with your attitude. My dogs and kids both accept that I can mistakes just like they can, we have a "mutual" thing going on. It doesn't appear that you can bond with a dog. Caring for a dog is a lot of work and training them doesn't happen quickly, same with children.

Have you concerned keeping gold fish?

Old 05-02-2015, 07:01 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
That's a lot easier said than done. I can't carry the dog with me all day, so what's the solution when I'm at work?
You shouldn't have a dog if it's going to be alone all day long. Dogs are social, that would be an unhappy dog. You can't train a dog if you're not home to do it. The only way to teach a dog to go outside, is to catch him while he's sniffing, pick him up, take him out, then after he goes outside, you make a huge fuss and tell him what a good boy he is....do that over and over and over and over, and they will learn. If you're not consistent, they won't learn, no different from a child. I have to add, a dog that pees in your house is not "disrespecting you" it means you haven't properly taught it. Again, time and consistency are needed.

I want to add, I love dogs, crazy about dogs, but I will not get a dog because it would be alone all day and miserable, and I don't have the time nor consistency to train it properly...so love them or not, I make the responsible decision, and don't get one.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:17 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You shouldn't have a dog if it's going to be alone all day long. Dogs are social, that would be an unhappy dog. You can't train a dog if you're not home to do it. The only way to teach a dog to go outside, is to catch him while he's sniffing, pick him up, take him out, then after he goes outside, you make a huge fuss and tell him what a good boy he is....do that over and over and over and over, and they will learn. If you're not consistent, they won't learn, no different from a child. I have to add, a dog that pees in your house is not "disrespecting you" it means you haven't properly taught it. Again, time and consistency are needed.

I want to add, I love dogs, crazy about dogs, but I will not get a dog because it would be alone all day and miserable, and I don't have the time nor consistency to train it properly...so love them or not, I make the responsible decision, and don't get one.
Well, although I agree with that right now, because my circumstances aren't conducive to owning a dog or cat, I'm going to say that in the future maybe I just shouldn't consider owning a puppy. All of my bad experiences with dogs were with puppies or dogs that I adopted as puppies. I had no time to train them consistently, except silly pet tricks, and my parents were busier than me. My mom owned lap dogs, though, but she got them as rescues when they were elderly. They were already broken from habits like chewing and accidents. My mom's dogs were much more enjoyable pets than my dogs were. That tells me that we were just too busy for puppies.

Of course, vet expenses go up for older dogs; one of my mom's lap dogs developed cancer later in life. Then, there's just that issue of the dog not really being "yours." I guess that's the point, though. I don't have time for my own dog.

Last edited by krmb; 05-02-2015 at 07:31 AM..

Old 05-02-2015, 07:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
That's a lot easier said than done. I can't carry the dog with me all day, so what's the solution when I'm at work?
Yes it is a lot of work and requires a lot of time but it's years of hassle free enjoyment afterwards. Dogs are like kids, you have to spend a lot of time with them especially when they are really young and easy to train. I've often had people say to me "I wish my dog acted like that." Most of them probably didn't realize the extraordinary amount of work it took to get to that point.

I'm not suggesting you carry the dog around, quite the opposite. Start training them right from the beginning and get them to go to the door by calling them to take them outside. You want to form positive habits and teaching them to go to the door is one of them. If my dogs have to go outside they go and sit by the door. The only time you'll want to carry them is if they are looking for somewhere to go where you don't have time to get them outside on their own.

If you don't do it and they develop the habit of going in the house they are going to keep on doing it. If you can't be there while working I don't know what to tell you other than have someone come to your house for a few weeks.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:38 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Here is the APDT link; it is a good place to start learning about how to become a responsible caring dog owner.
https://apdt.com/pet-owners/
Here is another great resource. Humans make mistakes by not understanding how dogs think/react.
The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs: Patricia B. McConnell: 9780345446787: Amazon.com: Books
Your local library probably has a copy.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes it is a lot of work and requires a lot of time but it's years of hassle free enjoyment afterwards. Dogs are like kids, you have to spend a lot of time with them especially when they are really young and easy to train. I've often had people say to me "I wish my dog acted like that." Most of them probably didn't realize the extraordinary amount of work it took to get to that point.

I'm not suggesting you carry the dog around, quite the opposite. Start training them right from the beginning and get them to go to the door by calling them to take them outside. You want to form positive habits and teaching them to go to the door is one of them. If my dogs have to go outside they go and sit by the door. The only time you'll want to carry them is if they are looking for somewhere to go where you don't have time to get them outside on their own.

If you don't do it and they develop the habit of going in the house they are going to keep on doing it. If you can't be there while working I don't know what to tell you other than have someone come to your house for a few weeks.
My lifestyle isn't going to be accommodating to a dog at this point. At the barest minimum, I would need:

1. A large fenced in area or kennel outside to put the dog and let it play so that it doesn't have accidents while I'm at work

2. Time to walk the dog

3. Expertise in obedience training or the ability to hire someone who does so that the dog doesn't develop those characteristic unsavory habits

Even with all of that, though, I'm not confident I would have a well-behaved puppy.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
1. I've written more, but I think I'm taking that to yet another thread, because this appears to be a big issue for me for some reason.

2. I'm sorry, but to me dog ownership is all lies. That kind of sums up how I feel, how I really feel.
1. You certainly have written more. It seems you're bound and determined to jump from forum to forum repeating yourself incessantly when you don't get the responses you're looking for - and what on earth you're looking for has eluded pretty much everyone who's taken the time to respond to you.

2. Lies? What on earth are you talking about?

You're in no position financially or emotionally to offer a home to any kind of an animal, you challenge advice given to you by those who've cared for and nurtured animals for decades. Every dog and cat you've owned has been a problem (you're obviously very young so how many have you cast off?) and yet you feel obligated to throw out advice on their care and feeding and even their health issues.

If you want to volunteer your time at your local shelter to take a dog for a walk or cuddle a cat then go for it - but certainly not with the attitude you expressed earlier when you said, "I read about animals so much that I think I can probably tell the trainer every move she's going to make."

What I feel, how I really feel, is that you need to seek some professional counseling to sort yourself out. There may well come a time when you're financially and emotionally in a better place to think about welcoming a pet into your life but it's not now.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:37 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,878 times
Quote:
I sometimes get very frustrated if I try to teach a pet to do something that should be easy, and it doesn't do it. These are normal reactions are they not?

I've written more, but I think I'm taking that to yet another thread, because this appears to be a big issue for me for some reason. I'm sorry, but to me dog ownership is all lies. That kind of sums up how I feel, how I really feel.
The issue isn't with the dog/pet, it is with the teacher- or if you prefer, the owner who doesn't know how to effectively communicate with the dog.

So, fine, if you feel dog ownership is all lies, then be done with it, admire other people's dogs, but please do not get another dog yourself.

Dogs are sentient beings, and as such shouldn't be used as an object for your frustration, or to take your clear dislike of dogs out on, or to prove to yourself that you are worthy of a dog's affections. I think your posts pretty clearly show why dogs "hate you so much" to use your own words.

As far as not wanting to read negative posts, well, life isn't all roses and sunlight- sometimes you need to have a clear understanding of your limitations, and it isn't my job to make you feel good about failing multiple dogs even as you appear to be considering getting another one.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
1. You certainly have written more. It seems you're bound and determined to jump from forum to forum repeating yourself incessantly when you don't get the responses you're looking for - and what on earth you're looking for has eluded pretty much everyone who's taken the time to respond to you.

2. Lies? What on earth are you talking about?

You're in no position financially or emotionally to offer a home to any kind of an animal, you challenge advice given to you by those who've cared for and nurtured animals for decades. Every dog and cat you've owned has been a problem (you're obviously very young so how many have you cast off?) and yet you feel obligated to throw out advice on their care and feeding and even their health issues.

If you want to volunteer your time at your local shelter to take a dog for a walk or cuddle a cat then go for it - but certainly not with the attitude you expressed earlier when you said, "I read about animals so much that I think I can probably tell the trainer every move she's going to make."

What I feel, how I really feel, is that you need to seek some professional counseling to sort yourself out. There may well come a time when you're financially and emotionally in a better place to think about welcoming a pet into your life but it's not now.
Your post really confuses me. I was on this thread earlier. The dog food question is not in this thread.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
The issue isn't with the dog/pet, it is with the teacher- or if you prefer, the owner who doesn't know how to effectively communicate with the dog.

So, fine, if you feel dog ownership is all lies, then be done with it, admire other people's dogs, but please do not get another dog yourself.

Dogs are sentient beings, and as such shouldn't be used as an object for your frustration, or to take your clear dislike of dogs out on, or to prove to yourself that you are worthy of a dog's affections. I think your posts pretty clearly show why dogs "hate you so much" to use your own words.

As far as not wanting to read negative posts, well, life isn't all roses and sunlight- sometimes you need to have a clear understanding of your limitations, and it isn't my job to make you feel good about failing multiple dogs even as you appear to be considering getting another one.

Huh?

Last edited by krmb; 05-02-2015 at 09:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs