Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 04:51 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,582,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by draketrutta View Post
Honey, with all due respect, a brain-dead person on life support can take care of a cat.

Me thinks you should definitely forget about dogs.

I'm outta here.

I'M not a certified psychologist and I don't wanna be one.

So, in my best Arnold Scharzeneger voice:

Asta de vega Baby!!!!
Okay, I'm wondering if this is the point where I request you don't ever get another cat (or at least until you learn something about them), then, if that's the way you feel? (I'm not saying some aren't very easy to care for, but, from your other posts, you seem to be implying they are almost like decoration, which isn't true at all.) I would be willing to argue with you (or hopefully explain a few things to you), but you really do just seem to be trolling at this point. I even requested that you debate me in another forum on this website. I'll say again, oh woefully uninformed dog-lover, cats are much more complicated than you seem to think, and I'm appalled that you would suggest the things you have! Kittens do need quite a bit of mental stimulation, for one thing.

Now, to get back on topic,

Now, I will admit that puppies are difficult for me, and I don't think I'll try them again (or until I've had some success with a grown dog, even if it's a rescue that has puppy-like habits) just because they actually require much more care and training than a dog that's gotten a few years on him. (Of course, you know they are cute, but that's not a great reason to get a pet, as I have learned throughout my life).

Also,

Were you trying to say, "hasta la vista (until next time), baby?" to quote Arnold Scharzeneger, or were you trying to be vulgar, like you were earlier?

Last edited by krmb; 05-03-2015 at 05:29 AM..

Old 05-03-2015, 05:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Okay, I'm wondering if this is the point where I request you don't ever get another cat ...
Oh, you mean the same way that many respondents to your innumerable and repetitive posts feel that you shouldn't be a pet-owner?

Old 05-03-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I don't have time to read all the responses, so sorry if someone else said this...

It takes a lot of time to train a dog. It does not happen overnight or in a few weeks. It takes months.
My previous Cairn Terrier, it took me weeks to keep an eye on her outside so I could get her to stop digging. It wasn't going to work if I just let her outside and just sometimes corrected her for digging. I had to be consistent.

Just like housebreaking. It takes work and being consistent. If a dog owner works diligently for the first several months you will have a well trained dog.

Same with the chewing. Have to be consistent and be sure to have dog toys. Don't be giving an old shoe, it won't make sense to them why they can chew that shoe and not the other ones.

I used a crate for a few times in the very beginning to keep my dog safe when I had to go out. After eight months she had run of the house.

As a previous poster said, maybe you just need to take up a hobby, having and training a dog might not work for you.
I'm not planning to get another dog any time soon, but I did want to volunteer at the shelter over the summer. I thought mentally preparing myself with positive information about dogs might off-set the negative feelings I normally associate with them. I like dogs and kids, as long as I don't have to take them home, I guess. My enthusiasm isn't really coming across in these posts, but I'm a little tired of some people, not you, but some people claiming that it's "not for me" just because I see things a bit differently. If that's the case, I could probably argue that life "isn't really for me," because I sometimes struggle to communicate in person. I tell myself it's not a big deal, but apparently it affects a lot. I observe things until I'm almost sick, but then I still can't do it as well as the person who "shows enthusiasm?"

Old 05-03-2015, 08:50 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,624 times
To the kind person who sent me a note, anon, I THANK YOU millions! I was just worried about the dog(s).

Old 05-03-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Oh, you mean the same way that many respondents to your innumerable and repetitive posts feel that you shouldn't be a pet-owner?
I didn't go that far, and you aren't really making sense to me. I'm not going to respond to this any more than I have already. Note for future reference: if you want to make a decision, don't make a forum post about it. Hopefully real people are better sources of information. There seems to be this need to prove something on forum posts. I seriously doubt we would get into a shouting match on the street if I told someone knowledgeable about dogs, "I'm thinking about working with some puppies over the summer, but I haven't done well with them in the past." Here, though, they'll tell you to go jump in the lake. What makes me any different than the millions of dog owners who probably aren't the best for their dogs? At least I tried to seek information.

I'm done.

Last edited by krmb; 05-03-2015 at 09:19 AM..

Old 05-03-2015, 09:29 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Closed for mod review.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs