Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:59 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,234,618 times

Advertisements

Had to put our dog down a week ago. It was very sudden and due to a genetic deficiency. She started to really struggle and the vet said she would only get worse (which she did immediately) so we put her down. I'm still having trouble with it, in spite of making plans to adopt another dog. I'm scared about genetic problems that slowly creep up later and almost feel as if I don't want another dog. However, there is a huge void in our lives because she's gone. She was high spirited, interactive and affectionate, in her prime; the poodle mostly ignores us and was more of a side kick to her crazy antics.

I'm looking at other breeds but they all scare me because of this experience (DH likes the Brittanys, we both like the goldendoodles, but they are crazy expensive and we won't settle for less than AKC registration). I'm willing to settle for a Bichon, or a Beagle, as these seem like safe choices. We are all over the place emotionally. I did write a letter to the animal ER because they were great in handling her diagnosis and being honest with us. That helped with the grieving process. How soon after a loss do you go out and get another one? DH says immediately but i'm dragging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 09:12 AM

18,409 posts, read 19,042,623 times
it does take a while to get over a dog's passing when they were so important and special to you. it will happen, don't rush your self. all dogs no matter the breed, just like people have the possibility of medical problems. if you don't take the chance you will never get another dog. would you give up the dog you lost because she had a problem and miss out on her entire life and the experiences you had with her? get the dog you want, when you feel you are ready. don't settle

Old 05-04-2015, 10:20 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,213,563 times
Each persons grieving process is different. James Wight (aka James Herriot) said that getting a new dog soon after helps fill the voids we feel. (read some of his stuff here: https://www.nytimes.com/books/first/...orite-dog.html ). That's usually the way I feel too, but as I said, each person is different.

I am curious, however, why you feel AKC registration is a must? It is not a guarantee of health, it only states that the pups were born to registered dogs. (see more info here: What does "AKC" really mean? )

When our last basenji died, it was also sudden and very traumatic. I *needed* another dog, even though we had our beautiful old golden. It took two months mostly because my husband seemed reluctant to help me choose. I finally just went and got what I wanted from the nearest shelter - and now my husband feels a very close bond with Joose.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:48 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,234,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Each persons grieving process is different. James Wight (aka James Herriot) said that getting a new dog soon after helps fill the voids we feel. (read some of his stuff here: https://www.nytimes.com/books/first/...orite-dog.html ). That's usually the way I feel too, but as I said, each person is different.

I am curious, however, why you feel AKC registration is a must? It is not a guarantee of health, it only states that the pups were born to registered dogs. (see more info here: What does "AKC" really mean? )

When our last basenji died, it was also sudden and very traumatic. I *needed* another dog, even though we had our beautiful old golden. It took two months mostly because my husband seemed reluctant to help me choose. I finally just went and got what I wanted from the nearest shelter - and now my husband feels a very close bond with Joose.
I will have to look more into the AKC. From my understanding, they have strict rules regarding the health of the dogs and breeding. For instance I thought they were supposed to screen for genetic deficiencies common to the breed in order to be registered? We are new at this and want to do it the right way after this experience. I will research your links.

We are moving forward slowly. I bought the Puppies for Dummies to get me started, and we've narrowed down the breeds we like. I even went to the pet store to interact with a Goldendoodle just as a way to get warmed up to the idea. That was an awful experience because the Goldendoodle looked very scrawny, the nose was dry, didn't want to go back in his cage, and when we walked out there were puppy mill picketers. Felt worse about everything, and it seemed like a sign to steer away from that breed of dog to me or bad omen.

Just wanted to see how the Goldendoodles interacted because they look like our kind of dog on paper, but it was just a very sad interaction. I would never get a dog from a pet store anyway because I don't believe they're regulated very well, nor do I believe the dogs are properly socialized/loved. I want one from a breeder who loves and cares for their dogs. Just knowing the bad breeding that goes on, and the fact we had a dog as a product of that, has been a real drag.

Thanks for the nice responses. They are helpful.

Last edited by daylux; 05-04-2015 at 10:57 AM..

Old 05-04-2015, 10:56 AM

188 posts, read 209,911 times
I'm sorry for the loss of your dog. I dread the day I have to experience it with Nico. Will probably throw a lot of stuff and hurt peoples' feelings.

The AKC offers no health guarantees. They're just a registry, its up to the breeders to screen and breed for health, so choosing a responsible breeder is paramount. Do lots of homework and talk to lots of people before you decide, it will make a huge difference in the life of the dog you choose.

I'm not one to make breed suggestions because no dog's temperament is 100% predictable, regardless of how well it is bred. But I would gently suggest looking into Samoyeds, if you're looking for a breed that is affectionate, playful and very attached to its people. This breed goes way back as a companion animal, and I have yet to meet one that doesn't display all of the traits mentioned above. The only caveat is the cost - they can be pricey if you purchase from a good breeder, but there are some great rescues out there that offer Sams or Sam mixes for much less.

Whatever you decide, you'll know when you find the right dog for you. As hothulamaui said above, don't settle.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:03 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,213,563 times
There are good breeders associated with AKC and there are breeders who just get the papers 'cause people think they mean something they don't.

Goldendoodles are going to be hard to get "registered" because they are not a recognized breed. While I understand that there was a desire to get them recognized, it's a lengthy and costly process. For now, while they are adorable and I won't go the preachy route - goldendoodles are simply a mixed breed/cross breed (to some, a mutt). There is no such thing as a purebred goldendoodle. Any goldendoodle can have the features/problems of a golden OR a poodle OR a mix of the two. And right now, they are considered popular so probably will be more expensive. I would be VERY VERY cautious about where you get a goldendoodle if that is what you want.

In general, a good breeder will do lots of health checks and certifications for their dogs for generations back...among other things. Are there any dog shows nearby? Visit some and talk to the owners of the dogs there, get more information and recommendations from them. Google "questions to ask a dog breeder" or "how to find a reputable dog breeder" for lots of information.

You have a good head start, I can tell because you know that there is bad breeding going on. It happens and even some of the best breeders can't prevent everything.

It's possible that doing all this research will help you with the loss while also getting excited about the next family member.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-04-2015, 11:12 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times
I'm a person who has to replace a dog immediately once I lose one. It's just what happens. Other people need time to recover from a loss before moving on to another dog.

A few thoughts:
-AKC registration is no guarantee of a healthy dog. They do very little monitoring of the breeders that register with them unless it benefits them financially.

-Do NOT buy from a pet store. That is the worst possible place to get a dog.

-Herding breeds tend to be longer-lived. I know of quite a few cattle dogs that made it to 15 or even 17. Same goes for smaller dogs.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:20 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
BEFORE You buy Check out the Parents Health. Breeders that are Responsible do Health checks Before they breed. This does NOT mean going to the vet! When you decide what breed do Research as to what problems the breed has. Some have a list a mile long some have very little problems. Healthy parents & Grand parent gives you a good idea to the health of your pup. IF the parents have Excellent Hips for example then they will be OFA reg. Ask to see the paper work! Great eyes they will be CERF reg.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:58 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,896,519 times
Mutts are so much healthier in general. I've had a ton of mutts and none have had major health issues.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:24 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Mutts are so much healthier in general. I've had a ton of mutts and none have had major health issues.
And You put you Mutt thru all the genic Tests for ALL thos Breeds hes Mixed with? You Proved hes Not Defective? WOW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs