Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 10:12 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,565 times

Advertisements

Some interesting articles about heartworm preventatives and how some veterinarians believe monthly/year round doses may be too much. Please note that the medicine kills the larvae. It may take up to 6 months for a larvae to develop into an adult.

I posted these articles for owners who would like to learn more about the heartworms. This is not to discourage or persuade you to change or stop the preventatives. I think it's a personal choice one makes for their pets. For me, I give my dogs Nuheart every 2 months, instead of monthly, year round (I live in FL but I would do the same anywhere else). None for my indoor kitty.

Heartworm Medication Part 1: Truths, Omissions and Profits - Dogs Naturally Magazine

Unknown Facts about Dog Heartworms

Are drug companies honest about Heartworm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 01:09 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
Very interesting reads. I do use it year round...living in west TX where it's practically summer all year round but I'm considering cutting back maybe the three coldest months of the year. I've never liked putting chemicals on or in my dogs.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:51 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Some interesting articles about heartworm preventatives and how some veterinarians believe monthly/year round doses may be too much. Please note that the medicine kills the larvae. It may take up to 6 months for a larvae to develop into an adult.

I posted these articles for owners who would like to learn more about the heartworms. This is not to discourage or persuade you to change or stop the preventatives. I think it's a personal choice one makes for their pets. For me, I give my dogs Nuheart every 2 months, instead of monthly, year round (I live in FL but I would do the same anywhere else). None for my indoor kitty.

Heartworm Medication Part 1: Truths, Omissions and Profits - Dogs Naturally Magazine

Unknown Facts about Dog Heartworms

Are drug companies honest about Heartworm?
Thanks for posting this!

Here is another good article. It's old (2006) but still relevant.

http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdj...revention.html

Old 08-05-2015, 08:20 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,666 times
Here is the Safeheart (milbemycin oxime) FDA drug summary for those interested. You can print this out and take it to your vet to show that you can safely give Interceptor (milbemycin oxime) at the lowest dose (2-10 pounds) for dogs up to 50 pounds to effectively protect against heartworm. Dogs over 50 pounds can get the Interceptor 11-25 pound dose. This lower dose will not protect against intestinal worms but at least you have the option to decide if you wanna drug your dog for something so benign and easily treatable as intestinal worms.

Unfortunately Novartis is no longer producing stand alone Interceptor. They now offer Sentinel which includes both milbemycin oxime for heartworm protection and lufenuron for flea protection. Your dog likely will not get the same flea protection if you dose down to the Safehart level of milbemycin oxime for heartworms. But again, at least you have the option to make the choice.

NADA 140-915 Safeheart? - supplemental approval (June 4, 1998)

Old 08-05-2015, 11:55 AM

107 posts, read 152,064 times
This is important information for consumers to have in order to make informed decisions about their pet's care. Although I DO treat my dogs for this, I do not follow the normal protocol for heartworm "prevention" in order to reduce the amount of poisons that are intentionally put into their bodies over their lifetimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs