Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 05:15 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times

Advertisements

Ok dog people,

We rescued a pup from a bad situation in September. Here are some facts:

He was born 7/10...
He came to live with us 9/12
He was neutered on 10/20 (he had not dropped)

Prior to being neutered he was doing very well, very consistent. I would say 75-80% house trained. Since getting neutered he has lost ALL training and it is as though he has forgotten what he goes outside for. Also of note is that, he can not go but 30-40 minutes between pottying.

We are at a loss. This is so upsetting and stressful. Today we purchased a belly band for him. He did well for a couple of hours but I just found a small spot where he tee-teed.

Some of the comments we have gotten are: "he was too young to neuter", "maybe they cut his urethra", "maybe the surgery did something"?

This weekend we have hit a wall with all of this, I am gonna to call the Vet on Monday but does anyone have any experience, thoughts? TY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 05:18 PM

18,380 posts, read 19,010,807 times
pups are not reliably house trained till at least 1 year old. go back to the basics. don't let him have the run of the house

Old 11-28-2015, 05:20 PM

He doesn't, he spends alot of time in his crate. He even goes potty in the crate.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:39 PM

18,380 posts, read 19,010,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
He doesn't, he spends alot of time in his crate. He even goes potty in the crate.
how often do you take him out to pee? you should take him out every 1/2 hour or so. they should only be spending a few hours in the crate I think the rule is 1/2 hour to every month old.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
how often do you take him out to pee? you should take him out every 1/2 hour or so. they should only be spending a few hours in the crate I think the rule is 1/2 hour to every month old.

We were at about 1 hr. to 1hr. 15 min., intervals. That is where he should be.

He spends a large portion of time in the crate....he goes out potty's comes in and feeds plays with sissy and us and 10 minutes in, he pees. As a "correction" he goes in the crate.

He has seen such a regression since being neutered. Often times when he goes out to potty he just sits down and does nothing.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:56 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
Has he been check for a urinary tract infection ( UTI)? My friends who raise guide dog puppies got one puppy they were having a difficult time housetraining and they were pretty much pros at housetraining. Turned out the puppy had UTI/ They got it treated and she was soon house trained. I know other people that have had adult dogs that suddenly started peeing in the house and once again it was due to a UTI. It is worth checking out when you have issues with housetraining.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:50 PM

When I call the Vet on Monday I will certainly ask about that possibility. TY

Old 11-28-2015, 10:17 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,422 times
Could be an infection or kidney stones. You may have to leave him at the vet for a couple of hours so they can get a urine specimen. Or they might just use a fine needle to draw it directly from his bladder. In any case, it does not sound normal. At three months old he should be able to go around two hours.

On the other hand, I prefer to train all dogs (puppies or not, we have had lots of foster dogs over the years) by restricting water to meal time and providing small amounts in between. Feed on a schedule, your dog should be getting 3 meals per day yet, especially if it is a large breed. If you are letting the puppy freely graze food and water all day long it will take longer to establish a pattern. When you feed at certain times you can figure out how long it takes your dog to digest and you will see a pattern develop. Most of our pups need to go out right after eating and then about an hour later again. After that they fall into a pattern of every 2-3 hours at three months old. Any time your dog has access to water figure that they will need to go out about 20-30 minutes later at that age.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:02 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
After the vet checks him go back to basic IF the Vet says hes ok. Keep in mind Rescues such as Puppy mills are Forced to Live in their own messes! Every time he messes Bathe him Esp when hes in the crate. He has to get use to Smelling Clean. Could be being at the vets & yes some times they pee & end up smelling it & laying in it before anyone gets a chance to clean the crate. Could be a relapse. Also dogs take 59 Days to imprint "You mean I Have to keep doing this" I worked with Lady 90 Days just to make sure she had it down pat LOL

Old 11-29-2015, 05:14 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,878 times
As a side note to what has been mentioned above regarding possible UTI, seeing vet, and going back to basics, you need to clean the areas where he has pottied indoors with an enzymatic cleaner such as Anti-Icky_Poo (available on line) or alternately Nature's Miracle. Use exactly as directed. Regular cleaners don't remove the urine odor, which may make it more likely your pup will repeat in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs