Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 10:02 AM

325 posts, read 228,869 times

Advertisements

I have a new rottweiler puppy that is a purebred and even has two champions in his bloodline in his paperwork. I really would love to get him trained an then one day perhaps try to put him in competitions. Is there specific classes he needs to take then instead of just going to any training classes for basic obedience. He is only 3 months old now an i've only had him for 3 weeks.But in that time he has already learned his name, an will come when you say it, he has learned to listen when told sit. He finally will go bathroom outside, an if he starts biting when you play with him an we tell him "easy" he will stop biting. But we still have alot to learn me as well as him as i have never owned a puppy before but im really confused about picking a training class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 10:31 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times
If you want to compete I suggest taking the Fenzi online introductory class. You need to start working on foundation exercises now, and then progress to age appropriate training. I believe that Fenzi includes puppy versions of all its exercises in its program.

Even if you don't decide to continue with the Fenzi online program, it will be good for you to work with world-class trainers, and to get a good understanding of high level training principles. You will then be better able to choose a good local trainer. When/ if you do look for a local trainer, you want one with CPDT credentials, e.g. Mary Smith CPDT- KA. While CPDT credentialing does't guarantee a good trainer, it at least sets a higher baseline than any joe schmo who thinks he is a trainer.

Fenzi Dog Sports Academy - Home

Fenzi Dog Sports Academy - FE120: Performance Fundamentals

Old 03-09-2016, 10:34 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
Are you talking about showing him in a confirmation show where it is all about the structure of the dog ( but you do need a well behaved obedient dog to do so) or are you interested in showing him in obedience or maybe both?

Right now I would not wait another minute and get him into a puppy class as it will help socialize him and in a good puppy class they will learn some basic commands and maybe more.

In The class I had Chaos in the puppies learned basic obedience and learned off leash before they had to do it on leash, they also learned how to go to their mat. to leave things, to sit if they wanted to have some one pet them, how to walk across a beam of wood low to the floor and go through some nylon kid tunnels to help build confidence and most importantly how to play with others. The class we took was great because it is taught by a trainer that does agility and flyball and is really into her dogs so really wants others to have that great relationship and trust with their own dogs. I knew the trainer from agility and knew her classes would be fantastic!

Old 03-09-2016, 11:57 AM

122 posts, read 124,941 times
I second the Denise Fenzi Fundamentals on-line class. I have taken many of her classes and am going to her training camp at Purina Farms this June. She also offers classes that are more Obedience, Agility, Rally, or Conformation focused that you can take depending on what you want to do with your pup.

Another favorite of mine is Janice Gunn. She has been recently posting videos of training her new puppy Sparks. You can see what she starts an 8 week old puppy on and what he looks like at 5 months. This will give you an idea of what some the items the Fenzi syllabus has listed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2L5...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bps7...ature=youtu.be

Enjoy your new puppy! I have a 4 month old one now and their minds are like little sponges!

Old 03-09-2016, 01:22 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,198,364 times
What part of the state do you live in? I participate in UKC and AKC conformation and handled my golden to her UKC breed championship. I have lived in south and central Florida and know of conformation classes in those two sections of the state. I agree, the younger you start, the better. Even if your pup never becomes a breed champion, the socialization and bonding that begins at such a young age pays off in big dividends later with a confident, controllable dog.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:17 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Take the pup to an obedience class but tell the instructor that the pup is a show dog and you don't want the pup to sit when you do the heeling exercises.

There is an exercise called watch me. Put extra nice treats inside your own mouth. Tell the pup "watch" and touch your lips with your finger. Say "watch" again and take the treat out and give it to the dog. You'll get a pup who snaps tp attention when you say watch and soon a pup who snaps to attention when you touch your lips. You want him to stand still facing you with intense focus.

A rott should stand square naturally, but teach him to stand square if he doesn't do it on his own.

The pup will need to trot big at your side and make corners without tripping you.

There's a lot more to it than that but if the pup can do both those things, he is 90% ready to show.

You'll need to learn how to groom. Dont get between the judge and the dog to block the judges view.

Start showing at a match instead of a point show. Mistakes aren't so bad at a match because everyone there is training and nobody will be perfect.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:24 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Take the pup to an obedience class but tell the instructor that the pup is a show dog and you don't want the pup to sit when you do the heeling exercises.

There is an exercise called watch me. Put extra nice treats inside your own mouth. Tell the pup "watch" and touch your lips with your finger. Say "watch" again and take the treat out and give it to the dog. You'll get a pup who snaps tp attention when you say watch and soon a pup who snaps to attention when you touch your lips. You want him to stand still facing you with intense focus.

A rott should stand square naturally, but teach him to stand square if he doesn't do it on his own.

The pup will need to trot big at your side and make corners without tripping you.

There's a lot more to it than that but if the pup can do both those things, he is 90% ready to show.

You'll need to learn how to groom. Dont get between the judge and the dog to block the judges view.

Start showing at a match instead of a point show. Mistakes aren't so bad at a match because everyone there is training and nobody will be perfect.
great advice!!

Are you not asking your breeder these questions? A good breeder should be your best resource for knowledge and become your mentor.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:44 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
...Are you not asking your breeder these questions? A good breeder should be your best resource for knowledge and become your mentor.

On another thread, OP says she bought the dog from a pet store so I doubt she has access to the breeder.

Edited to add: goochgirl, I remember when I got my first purebred dog, 45 years ago. I was so proud of him and thought he was beautiful. I entered him in an AKC show and ignored the stares from the other dog handlers when I took him into the show ring. He took 4th place out of 4 dogs and I was thrilled with my little ribbon. But I learned that the other dogs in the ring had champions up the wazoo and, even with a few champions in his bloodline, my dog wasnt show quality. That didnt mean I loved him any less -- and I did show him in the obedience ring a couple of years later. Good luck to you.

Last edited by TFW46; 03-10-2016 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-10-2016, 08:03 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
It doesn't matter if he is show winning quality. OP can show him and have a good time. OP can learn how to show and groom, and if OP decides that showing is a fun hobby then OP can buy a better dog next time.

There are a few self-centered jerks at dog shows, but there are a lot of nice people. Someone will step up and offer guidance. Maybe not a Rott person, but someone will.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:56 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It doesn't matter if he is show winning quality. OP can show him and have a good time. OP can learn how to show and groom, and if OP decides that showing is a fun hobby then OP can buy a better dog next time.

There are a few self-centered jerks at dog shows, but there are a lot of nice people. Someone will step up and offer guidance. Maybe not a Rott person, but someone will.

Yes, this is correct. But so many newbies sour at the experience because they don't win. I would recommend working in obedience (usually at the same shows as conformation), and then spend time learning and meeting conformation owners, breeders, and handlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs