Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 10:59 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times

Advertisements

my friend astrid told me that her dog killed one of her cats and she said she is going to re home him to a home without cats . I told her that I would be too sick worried that the dog would repeat his behavior maybe with another small dog or something else small . I told her to consult with her vet but my father used to say once the dog has the taste of blood it should be put down . was my father right ? I mean I have heard other people say this as well what do you think ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 11:07 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,251,693 times
No. If that were true those feeding raw meat to a dog would be producing a killer since they have tasted blood. Police dogs commonly taste blood but they don't put them down. Blood tasting is just a myth. Some dogs have a prey instinct and if allowed to act on it, the smaller animal will usually lose. Does not mean the dog will not make a great pet in a home without cats or even sometimes small dogs.

I have two Malamutes who would just love to get a nice cat or squirrel for a fast meal, but so far have not. But they are great with smaller dogs and I have no fear they will hurt one; so long as the smaller dog is not one of those extremely aggressive ones I encounter when I walk them. Generally Malamute rescues will avoid homing a Malamute in a home with a cat. I'm sure there are other breeds that have this same problem with cats.

But I have to ask, why should you care? Are you going to home the dog?

Just do a search for doggie vampires a myth, Does A Dog Become Vicious If It Bites And Tastes Blood? Just for a few other places for info.

Dogs will raid a chicken coop to eat eggs, they are good. Some dogs will attack a larger animal, usually in a pack, but not cause they like the blood, but because they like the food and are hungry.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:08 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,999,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
my friend astrid told me that her dog killed one of her cats and she said she is going to re home him to a home without cats . I told her that I would be too sick worried that the dog would repeat his behavior maybe with another small dog or something else small . I told her to consult with her vet but my father used to say once the dog has the taste of blood it should be put down . was my father right ? I mean I have heard other people say this as well what do you think ?
I did hear that in reference to a dog killing sheep.
I also heard that about a dog eating eggs.

In those cases, farmers had to put their dog down.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,999,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
No. If that were true those feeding raw meat to a dog would be producing a killer since they have tasted blood. Police dogs commonly taste blood but they don't put them down. Blood tasting is just a myth. Some dogs have a prey instinct and if allowed to act on it, the smaller animal will usually lose. Does not mean the dog will not make a great pet in a home without cats or even sometimes small dogs.

I have two Malamutes who would just love to get a nice cat or squirrel for a fast meal, but so far have not. But they are great with smaller dogs and I have no fear they will hurt one; so long as the smaller dog is not one of those extremely aggressive ones I encounter when I walk them. Generally Malamute rescues will avoid homing a Malamute in a home with a cat.
(1st paragraph )

apples to oranges

The dog in your scenario is not associating the taste of raw meat/blood with the kill.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
My first para basically addressed the OP's statement about Daddy's myth on the taste of blood. Get it?

The second para addresses the prey driven instinct that is greater in some dogs than other dogs.

The links supplied give some further insight into the taste of blood myth.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:

I have two Malamutes who would just love to get a nice cat or squirrel for a fast meal, but so far have not. But they are great with smaller dogs and I have no fear they will hurt one; so long as the smaller dog is not one of those extremely aggressive ones I encounter when I walk them. Generally Malamute rescues will avoid homing a Malamute in a home with a cat. I'm sure there are other breeds that have this same problem with cats.

But I have to ask, why should you care? Are you going to home the dog?

Just do a search for doggie vampires a myth, Does A Dog Become Vicious If It Bites And Tastes Blood? Just for a few other places for info.

Dogs will raid a chicken coop to eat eggs, they are good. Some dogs will attack a larger animal, usually in a pack, but not cause they like the blood, but because they like the food and are hungry.

well because she is my friend and she asked me what I would do if I were her and I told her I would consult my vet first and see what they had to say about it .

Old 07-11-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
First para addressed basically addressed the OP's statement about Daddy's myth on the taste of blood. Get it?
The second para address the prey driven instinct that is greater in some dogs than other dogs.

wow no need to be rude about things when addressing other posters .

Old 07-11-2017, 11:21 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
The other cats should be rehomed. Dogs rule.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The other cats should be rehomed. Dogs rule.
LOL . yeah I don't have any cats . hubs is horribly allergic I feed the feral outside cats though .

Old 07-11-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
wow no need to be rude about things when addressing other posters .
Rude? I addressed his statement about apples and oranges. I guess he had a problem figuring out my sentences in response to your original post. And I asked if he got it that is not being rude. Rude would have been really explaining what I thought about his reply to my post, but I kept it plain and simple. Give it a try sometime (and that was not meant to be rude, but to be good advise).

And to answer your other reply....we are all vets on here.

So, after that, you have asked, I have given my answer so I'll move on to other threads. You have a great day, and watch out for vampire dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs