Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 04:58 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times

Advertisements

I'm walking my dogs where I always do. I pass a house with 2 large pitbulls in the yard. They don't bark at me or my dogs. I don't see them outside very often but have seen them before a few times.

I have 2 small Chihuahuas. Actually one large and one huge one. The big one weighs like 13 pounds but he's very big not fat. he needs a bigger harness and collar than the large 9 pound one.

So I try to rush them along as they try to smell everything every 3 feet and one wants to go to one side of the street and the other wants to pull to the other side.

So I'm walking past and one of the pitbulls presses against the gate and it opens. Now I'm terrified so I pick up my dogs. The bigger of the 2 pits walks in front of me and my bigger dog starts to growl and I tell him to be quiet.

I'm carry 2 dogs and I have mace but my hands are full. I see a car and the dogs are around it so he slows down I tell him to call 911 but he just drives off and doesn't even open the window a crack it was a younger guy with a girl in the car.

So I don't panic and decide to walk back to a neighbors house to see if she can help or ring the doorbell of the house. The dogs are off towards the corner and the lady who's yard it was comes out her back door and I tell her that her dogs got out.

Sh says they are good dogs I tell her she should always be outside when they are outside. She didn't say anything. She didn't even go towards them she just called out to them and eventually they went over to her.

In the end everything was fine, thank God.

I do not trust pitbulls my cousin had one that he raised from a puppy and one day it attacked him and his wife and he had to barricade himself in a room and call the cops to kill it and his wife was in the hospital with scalp wounds for 3 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 05:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,603 times
Wow!!! You got lucky! I hope in addition to the mace, you carry protection in case your dogs do get attacked by a pit bull. I would call animal control and file a complaint. Next time you walk by, make sure you have the mace ready. Personally, I carry the mace and a switchblade. If a pit gets on my dog, it won't be for long. I hate them with a passion and I work quite a bit supporting strict regulations and bans. You definitely should never trust a pit bull. They are FAMOUS for exactly what you described. It happens regularly.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Wow!!! You got lucky! I hope in addition to the mace, you carry protection in case your dogs do get attacked by a pit bull. I would call animal control and file a complaint. Next time you walk by, make sure you have the mace ready. Personally, I carry the mace and a switchblade. If a pit gets on my dog, it won't be for long. I hate them with a passion and I work quite a bit supporting strict regulations and bans. You definitely should never trust a pit bull. They are FAMOUS for exactly what you described. It happens regularly.
Thanks, I would never trust one, it's either you are lucky or you are not. And yeah I do carry a pocketknife, but I have to figure out how to use it when holding 2 dogs, but I'm sure I would find a way when the time comes. If it's my dog or the pitbulls the pit will be wearing a knife for a hat.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:01 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,696,813 times
If they are legal in your state try to get yourself one of those cheap little electronic zappers that are sold at gun shows and maybe gun stores.
They are claimed to knock a man down.
But for dogs are noisy zap sound and would probably knock then down too if they sniff it.
Here are some ideas https://www.tbotech.com/

Old 03-09-2018, 04:50 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
If I were you I would call animal control on this address and let them know what happened and how indifferent shall we say the owner was . One day those dogs could get out and attack a child and then the owner would be like " he or she has never done that before " it happens everyday and you see owners on the news , well they never did that before sort of thing but definitely call animal control and report them getting out and confronting your dogs . I would find another way to walk also . It is never easy when you have a neighbor who has one of those dogs . God bless you dear and yes I think the zapper is a good idea .

Old 03-09-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
If they are legal in your state try to get yourself one of those cheap little electronic zappers that are sold at gun shows and maybe gun stores.
But for dogs are noisy zap sound and would probably knock then down too if they sniff it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
If I were you I would call animal control on this address and let them know what happened and how indifferent shall we say the owner was . One day those dogs could get out and attack a child and then the owner would be like " he or she has never done that before " it happens everyday and you see owners on the news , well they never did that before sort of thing but definitely call animal control and report them getting out and confronting your dogs . I would find another way to walk also . It is never easy when you have a neighbor who has one of those dogs . God bless you dear and yes I think the zapper is a good idea .
Thanks I do have one of the zappers but I don't carry it with me all the time. Maybe I should when I walk the dogs.

I also had neighbors who had aggressive pitbulls, it was in the house behind mine but our corners met and some of their dogs tried to climb the fence a few times. I think they dealt drugs and used the dogs to protect their stash, I would hear commands in German sometimes. They did have a really sweet funny looking pit mix who looked half Chihuahua but she was really sweet. Those poor dogs were left out in the cold and rain sometimes, one was left out in a large fenced cage but that was on the far side of the house where I couldn't see it. Lucky for me they moved away a few months ago.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Thanks I do have one of the zappers but I don't carry it with me all the time. Maybe I should when I walk the dogs.

I also had neighbors who had aggressive pitbulls, it was in the house behind mine but our corners met and some of their dogs tried to climb the fence a few times. I think they dealt drugs and used the dogs to protect their stash, I would hear commands in German sometimes. They did have a really sweet funny looking pit mix who looked half Chihuahua but she was really sweet. Those poor dogs were left out in the cold and rain sometimes, one was left out in a large fenced cage but that was on the far side of the house where I couldn't see it. Lucky for me they moved away a few months ago.

I think I will call animal control because they did not secure the gate next time I walked by.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:41 AM

I'm charging my zapper now, I will have to take it with me when I walk the dogs because you never know when something will happen.

I called animal control. They asked what happened and I guess they are going out there, I hope. They asked if I wanted to leave my name, at first i said no but I asked if they would let me know if they went there and they said no, then she said I could follow up, kind of she was iffy with the info. I was going to but I asked if they would reveal the info to the person at that house and they said that they would have to with the freedom of information act. So I did not leave my name.

I just want her to secure her gate and be outside if the dogs are out there. While looking for the house address online I saw that house sold pending and they rent so they will be out soon i hope. I'm surprised so many landlords will rent to people with pitbulls.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:48 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
My dog is aggressive to other dogs, so I get super nervous when we come across any breed of dog that is off leash.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
My dog is aggressive to other dogs, so I get super nervous when we come across any breed of dog that is off leash.
That's scary, Mine are little dogs so they know if a dog is loose and it's a big dog not to be a tough guy, but my bigger little guy would try to protect me so I worry about him.

My dogs get angry and bark at any stranger or car or anything odd if they are protecting their yard. On a walk they won't bark at anyone or any other dog and they know one big dog gets furious when they walk by her house but my guys put their heads down and walk faster past her usually. She's gotten out and never comes near us. In fact those morons had a tree damage the fence so it was open on the side yard and they would let the dog out to wander the streets when it felt like it.

I just remembered another reason to carry the zapper. Sometimes there is another pit on a corner house near where we walk and they leave it out chained or tied to a rope unattended and the dog gets furious when it sees me with the gods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs