Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 10:43 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times

Advertisements

I take one or both of the dogs to anyone of the local pubs within walking distance when we go for a drink. They can sit inside where there are high tables, but not where the low tables are in the dining area etc. I don't really think dogs would work somewhere were there is a lot of food set on low tables.

No restaurants around here will let dogs inside, but most will accomodate them outside. The same is true of cafes. The reality is that so many potential customers have dogs and want to do things with their dogs so business owners need some way of accomodating them.

Usually on weekends I leave the dog/s at home because its too loud for them. That being said, a long lazy Sunday roast/session at the pub on a rainy winter's day with the dogs asleep under the table makes man and dog very happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 01:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
There was a neighborhood pub I used to go to with patio seating where a few of the regular patrons would bring their dogs. They changed their business model to accommodate the under 21 crowd and the place became noticeably unpleasant due to unruly children and their vapid parents; give me dogs any day.

Old 06-19-2023, 06:02 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Our dog is fine on a dog friendly patio. We appreciate being able to go to a restaurant while traveling, but we don’t take the dog when we’re home.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:12 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,407,323 times
As a server who's had to deal with this in the past, it's a nightmare. It's a trip hazard and have seen plenty of dog fights or ones about to start. Leave them at home!!!!!

Old 06-20-2023, 03:52 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
As a server who's had to deal with this in the past, it's a nightmare. It's a trip hazard and have seen plenty of dog fights or ones about to start. Leave them at home!!!!!
That's absolutely right. Unless someone is blind, the dogs need to stay at home.

The first person bit will be the end of it. Legally, the establishment is at least 50% liable, possibly more if it could be shown there were close calls prior to the incident.

537 dog bites to the face of children treated at a Denver hospital.

Which dog breed caused the most injuries?

Pit Bulls? Nope. 11 bites. Then again, Cocker Spaniels had 11 bites. Golden Retrievers had 11 bites.

The winner was Labrador Retrievers at 50 bites. The runner-up was the Rottweiler with 18 bites.

Granted, 84 children had their faces ripped off by mixed breeds and I'm sure at least one was a Pitt Bull mix but the clear winner here coming in at 20.2% of the mixed breeds was the Labrador Retriever. (followed by mixed Chow breeds at 17.9% and mixed German Shepard breeds at 11.9%).

I hope everyone is paying attention.

It isn't the breed; it's the owner.

Old 06-20-2023, 04:47 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,954,275 times
Hopefully… not on the menu.

Old 06-20-2023, 08:47 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
I haven't been to Europe in a few decades, but most establishments allowed dogs INSIDE the restaurant. Inside! With the people! No real or fake service dog vests either. Just family dogs eating with their families.

It's probably a tradition that dates back a thousand years.

I remember one restaurant a family was eating with their dog who was completely chill. A new family came in with a dog and it growled ONCE at the other one. The owner of Mr. Growly immediately and responsibly took his dog out. Nobody at the restaurant- no employee, no guest, nobody, had to tell him what to do.

Dining outside shouldn't be any different.

In most communities there is a social contract on how people, and their animals, should behave. Unfortunately, many places in the USA aren't like that.

I've had dogs that I've taken to outside eateries. Usually the staff gushed over them, brought water bowls etc. Right now I wouldn't take any of our dogs out to eat unless we can all stay in the car because none of them are ready for me to accept a responsibility like that. Some day, probably. Not now.

Just because you "can" take your dog out to eat, doesn't mean you should.

Old 06-21-2023, 11:02 AM

11,157 posts, read 7,954,275 times
I’ve been living in France for 6 years… Dogs are allowed in restaurants, shops and on public transportation. I haven’t seen a lot of it, but it’s ok to take them in. You might need a bag or a muzzle on buses or trains.. you have to check the requirements with the company.

Old 06-22-2023, 04:21 AM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

It isn't the breed; it's the owner.
Nah it's the breed.

Old 06-22-2023, 05:11 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
In my experience it's the owner more than the breed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs