Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 07:20 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,171,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's absolutely right. Unless someone is blind, the dogs need to stay at home.

The first person bit will be the end of it. Legally, the establishment is at least 50% liable, possibly more if it could be shown there were close calls prior to the incident.

537 dog bites to the face of children treated at a Denver hospital.

Which dog breed caused the most injuries?

Pit Bulls? Nope. 11 bites. Then again, Cocker Spaniels had 11 bites. Golden Retrievers had 11 bites.

The winner was Labrador Retrievers at 50 bites. The runner-up was the Rottweiler with 18 bites.

Granted, 84 children had their faces ripped off by mixed breeds and I'm sure at least one was a Pitt Bull mix but the clear winner here coming in at 20.2% of the mixed breeds was the Labrador Retriever. (followed by mixed Chow breeds at 17.9% and mixed German Shepard breeds at 11.9%).

I hope everyone is paying attention.

It isn't the breed; it's the owner.
A bad owner is a bad owner but in my experience owning, training and working with aggressive dogs that do bite, I can state without question there are "bad dogs." These, regardless of breed, tend to be poorly bred with nervous/reactive temperaments. As a breed becomes more popular there is more "back yard" breeding of previously poorly bred dogs in an attempt to make a few bucks. In any event, when I go out to eat, I don't need dogs all around me. They are best kept home unless they are service animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2023, 12:17 AM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
A bad owner is a bad owner but in my experience owning, training and working with aggressive dogs that do bite, I can state without question there are "bad dogs." These, regardless of breed, tend to be poorly bred with nervous/reactive temperaments. As a breed becomes more popular there is more "back yard" breeding of previously poorly bred dogs in an attempt to make a few bucks. In any event, when I go out to eat, I don't need dogs all around me. They are best kept home unless they are service animals.
The issue really isn't the "bad dog", it's the high strung dog that nips out of nervousness. Border Collies are a good example of that type of breed. As a breed they also tend to attract a certain type of owner in cities. Kelpies attract a similar owner but they're a much more confident dog than a BC, imo. Probably because show breeders haven't destroyed them in the process of getting confirmation. Ditto koolies.

Old 07-01-2023, 05:07 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yes, as nice as OHSO is, it's really a bustling, loud, overstimulating place for a dog in my opinion. Really loud music. Lots of kids out of their seats roaming around the patio. My cattle dog gets snappy around little kids (he was an abuse rescue from a house full of kids) so he has to be watched in that setting.

32 Shea, a couple miles from OHSO, has a really lovely dog friendly patio. It used to be even better before they remodeled it. It had comfy low couches and chairs where you could sit closer to your dog. It was a relaxing place. Lots of trees, shade, babbling fountains, etc. Phoenix's population has skyrocketed since I left and I've noticed when visiting that the patio isn't as relaxing because it's busier now. It's still a nice place though. My dogs did enjoy it more than the other one.

I'm curious how many more people on here take their dogs to a dog friendly restaurant, and what their experience is.
I’ve taken my tiny yorkie to OHSO, it was a great place to meet up with friends and they had an awesome outdoor patio for dogs. When Lexi came, she stayed in my lap, she really didn’t care for the place. She nibbled at food I offered, but I think it was too noisy for her.

At times, I’ve seen the patio filled with dogs under nearly every table, so it’s popular at least with the owners. None of the dogs looked thrilled to be there, they were sitting or dozing under the tables.

I would never take my Swiss shepherd’s to an outdoor restaurant. Even the best dog can react unpredictably and strangers are notorious for coming up, standing two inches away and asking if they can pet your dog. If I’ve had a beer or two, I might not be as diligent in keeping an eye on them. The last thing you’d want is for someone to get nipped, causing disruptions and headaches, when you just wanted to come in, sit down and relax.

Old 07-06-2023, 10:30 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
Years ago I went out to eat with my brother and his wife. They had two English bulldogs that they took along. I rarely take my dogs with me when eating out but they said they always take their dogs when they ate at this place. The restaurant was at an outdoor mall and the dogs could not be on the patio but the patio had a low wrought iron fence around it. One of them would go in and request a table along the fence and the other would wait outside then tie the dogs up to outside the fence next to the table and the dogs would sit along the fence by the table. OMG it was the most entertaining dinner ever as not one person could pass those two bullies without stopping and talking baby talk to them. There were even some tough gang looking guys that stopped and talked baby talk to them. The bullies loved all that attention and as I said it was very entertaining to watch. After experiencing it I understood why they took them as it was dinner and a free comedy show.

When my home was being fumigated I took the dogs up the coast and spent a couple days in Morro Bay so ate at places that had patios that allowed dogs. Sad to say but my dogs were better behaved than most of the kids that were at the restaurants.

Old 08-10-2023, 03:52 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
I would love it if dogs were allowed in restaurants here in Canada. Only Service dogs are allowed.

Old 08-13-2023, 07:12 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I would love it if dogs were allowed in restaurants here in Canada. Only Service dogs are allowed.
And that's exactly how it should be. Service dogs are required to adhere to strictly defined standards of behavior. Pet dogs are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs