Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 06:26 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,790 times

Advertisements

Recently my 14 y.o. mini schnauzer was dx'ed with kidney failure. The first symptom I noticed that he had trouble establishing a urine stream in the AM. It would start slow and dribble, sometime uncontrolled, and after a while he was urinating OK. This happens every morning. After the slow AM start he is fine the rest of the day.
I have switched him to a low phosphorus diet and added fish oil. He is under a vets care but also has a serious heart murmur.
Has anyone ever experienced a dog with a similar urine problem?
Suggestions and comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 07:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Did he eat any of the contaminated pet food last year? My cats got kidney damage and 1 got quite sick after eating that stuff.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:23 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,790 times
Actually, he was very ill two years ago when the tainted dog food was discovered. He was having seizures at that time. I trash all commercial dog food and treats and began making my own. He recovered slowly. Looking at a previous blood test I think he suffered kidney damage during this first episode. Vets blame the problem on his age, but I still think those tainted foods/treats played an important role in his decline.
Don

Old 06-21-2008, 09:21 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,516,201 times
Yahoo groups has a wonderful group for dogs with kidney problems. It's called K9KidneyDiet. Although a lot of it is about food, there is a lot of helpful information that goes way beyond diet. They can answer all kinds of questions about your dog's condition. They've been a huge help to me, as I also have a dog with kidney problems.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:31 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Sounds to me like your dog died of old age.....Sorry for your loss & just know he had a long & happy life.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 19,530 times
My 7 year-old Schnauzer has suffered skin rashes and ear infections for several years. He has been on Nature's Recipe Breed Specific dry food and was doing great on it. Several months ago he had a bladder infection, responded well to antibiotics, then suffered another bladder infection this past week. His vet recommended Hill's Scientific Diet C/D. The skin rash and ear infections returned. Does anyone know of a food good for urinary tract that does not contain wheat, corn, or beef?

Old 01-18-2010, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 30,121 times
Our 12 year old mini Angel was diagnosed with acute kidney failure today; how are you doing.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:25 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,213 times
I'm sorry this had happened to your pet, try the K9kidneys group on Yahoo, best place to go for info with other dogs owners

K9KIDNEYS : for owners of dogs with Kidney Disease

Old 09-22-2010, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 24,066 times
Our mini Pepper was diagnosed with kidney disease and 1 week later started having seizures and we had to put her down. She was only 6. UTI was ruled out as was poisoning, perhaps it was a genetic thing, we'll never know. We tried to switch her food to the kidney freindly stuff, but she would not eat it. This happened a month ago. We were heartbroken and still are. The vet said that once increased levels of creatinine and BUN are detected by blood test, it's usually too late. They tried to talk us into inserting a feeding tube into her esophagus, but there is no way we were going to do that. When we first found out about it, we put her in ICU for 5 days on an IV. It brought the numbers down a little, but by then her kindey function was down to 20%. We took her home for the last 3 days of her life and were giving her 7 different medications and SQ fluids. It didn't help. If you have a schnauzer, I recommend annual kidney ultrasound to detect changes in the structure of the organs. Maybe it can be caught early enough to save them through dietary changes. Good luck.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 29,866 times
so sorry to hear about your dog.... we too just got a diagnosis of kidney failure in our 5 year beagle, "Jake", we are going thru alot with him but he is still with us....it has been a month since diagnosis, and we have "hope", Again, I am so very sorry about yours, my heart goes out to you, since we are on an emotional rollercoaster day to day.... God Bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs