Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,283,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You describe the typical self-avowed dog fanatic. If a dog gets out of hand, then it's never the dog's fault or their fault--it's your fault.

Dogs are animals. They might be well-trained animals, but they're animals nonetheless. They are not family members. They do not have human characteristics. They are animals who, if you go back to their genetic past, are instinctive hunters which enjoy the kill. Which means that they have the ability to act aggressively and really do terrible things.

Here's the thing to think about. If these dogs are so aggressive and have already killed your dog and attacked the neighbor's dog, then what's to keep them from mauling a four-year-old? Or an 85-year-old woman out on her morning stroll?

These are considerations that the type of doglovers you describe never think about. So when a real tragedy takes place that involves human life or injury, they say, "Why, Fluffy has never acted this way before." And for all the stupid nonsense about "It's the OWNER'S fault," you still have a tragedy on your hands.

So if I had two dogs in my neighborhood that were that aggressive, I'd move to have them destroyed. Because they are a potential menace to more than just other dogs.
I would tend to disagree with some of what you said. Not everyone that believes dogs get a bad deal sometimes are "typical self-avowed fanatics". What has happened here IS the fault of the owners through not controlling their pet. You can't deny that if we take what is said at face value. As to dogs enjoying the kill, please...dogs have been domesticated for years and years. Only left to their own devices or through illness do they even perceive other animals (or people) as food. Prey drive, yes...the urge to kill everything that moves in every dog, not hardly. And dog aggressive dogs are not necessarily people aggressive. That's a fact that cannot be disputed. Because a dog kills a cat, it does not mean he will eat grandma. If a cat kills a bird, do we go all out to have the cat destroyed? Of course not...and not all dogs that are aggressive are large dogs that can maim or kill. Those little ones...ya gotta watch out for 'em sometimes.

The part I will agree with is the wide-eyed stare of "I've never seen my dog do that". That's because you weren't paying attention, dear owner. Dogs act the way they act from early on - it IS the owner's responsibility and duty to notice, pay attention, and redirect or retrain. If you haven't seen your dog behave like that, it's not because he didn't give you every indication in the world there was a problem. Whether you're tuned in is a whole 'nother ballgame.

All that being said, I firmly believe there are dogs that are not wired right. It happens...two with weird heads hook up and the results can be a less than desirable tempermented dog. That evaluation, however, is best left to a canine neurologist and not the next door neighbor. Fear makes us see a lot of boogey men that aren't there.

No, much as we want to deny it, what happens with dogs can usually be traced back to the owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 11:48 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,204,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
THE OWNERS SHOULD BE DESTROYED.....I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU...IT IS NEVER, NEVER THE ANIMALS FAULT... THIS IS THE RESULT OF AN IRRESPONSIBLE DOG OWNER WHO SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY PET IN THE FIRST PLACE. THIS IS AN ANIMAL LOVERS FORUM...WE CARE FOR AND LOVE OUR PETS....THEY ARE ALL A PART OF OUR FAMILIES AS THEY ALL SHOULD BE! THEY GIVE US UNCONDITIONAL LOVE! THEY DO NOT JUDGE AS YOU DO! SORRY FOR RANTING BUT YOU PULLED AT MY HEARSTRINGS IN THE WRONG WAY AGAINST MANS BEST FRIEND A LITTLE TOO STRONG!
Well, you are ranting. Blindly, I might add. Yes, dogs are kind of family members. But they're not people, they do not have the emotions of people, and they're not family. And an aggressive dog is a danger to those around him no matter what the owner is like. What's more, now that the dog in question has grown to adulthood, those same aggressive tendencies will prove much harder to extinguish.

So whether it's the owner's fault or not at this point has little to do with the problem of aggressive dogs that are evidently free to roam the neighborhood and hunt in packs. That means every other dog, cat, or child in the neighborhood is potentially fair game for them. At the same time, fencing them in at this juncture will not help, for the dogs will burrow out. Yet, with your kneejerk reaction, you would allow this potential menace to continue. But even if you confiscated the dogs and relocated them, the same problem would exist, only this time in a different, unsuspecting neighborhood.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:06 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,024,241 times
Not sure where you live but in most areas it is illegal for dogs to be roaming around a neighborhood, whether or not they are killing or harming other animals. I have an acre of land, all well-fenced, and still one of the member's of my neighbor's inbred pack of used-to-be-German Shepherds (they have been in-breeding for 15 years at least) managed to get under my fence and killed my pygmy goat. I live in Arizona and the law here states that you can kill any animal that comes onto fenced property and harms livestock...so I did. With my .22. I know it was not the dog's fault, they are a nutty pack of Frankendogs, but once that dog had killed my goat I was pretty sure he would be back under the fence for my JRT's and grandkids.

Animal control fined the owner...it was a huge fine...and he received two days in jail. Since then he has gotten rid of half of the pack (he still has six of them I think) and he reinforced the fence to hold in a Mammoth, so they have not gotten under since. But I keep my .22 handy, just in case...and mean as that my sound, when you are dealing with a person who has no scruples as far as his animals go, you sometimes have to be your own vigilante.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:43 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,670,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I would tend to disagree with some of what you said. Not everyone that believes dogs get a bad deal sometimes are "typical self-avowed fanatics". What has happened here IS the fault of the owners through not controlling their pet. You can't deny that if we take what is said at face value. As to dogs enjoying the kill, please...dogs have been domesticated for years and years. Only left to their own devices or through illness do they even perceive other animals (or people) as food. Prey drive, yes...the urge to kill everything that moves in every dog, not hardly. And dog aggressive dogs are not necessarily people aggressive. That's a fact that cannot be disputed. Because a dog kills a cat, it does not mean he will eat grandma. If a cat kills a bird, do we go all out to have the cat destroyed? Of course not...and not all dogs that are aggressive are large dogs that can maim or kill. Those little ones...ya gotta watch out for 'em sometimes.

The part I will agree with is the wide-eyed stare of "I've never seen my dog do that". That's because you weren't paying attention, dear owner. Dogs act the way they act from early on - it IS the owner's responsibility and duty to notice, pay attention, and redirect or retrain. If you haven't seen your dog behave like that, it's not because he didn't give you every indication in the world there was a problem. Whether you're tuned in is a whole 'nother ballgame.

All that being said, I firmly believe there are dogs that are not wired right. It happens...two with weird heads hook up and the results can be a less than desirable tempermented dog. That evaluation, however, is best left to a canine neurologist and not the next door neighbor. Fear makes us see a lot of boogey men that aren't there.

No, much as we want to deny it, what happens with dogs can usually be traced back to the owner.
Well said Sam, but unfortunately, SOME PEOPLE do not get it and never will!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:30 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,302,235 times
This is for the OP and anyone, anywhere, who has to put up with nuisance dogs. There is a direct correlation between belligerent barking and agressiveness. Chances are, this pack of dogs barks incessantly. There is a site, www.barkingdogs.net
that describes this behavior. It also explains why this type of people continue to keep problem dogs. They've created a problem, a dangerous one at that, and refuse to correct it. When anyone complains, they scream VICTIM!!! It comes down to: pissing off family, or living in fear. I choose the former.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:31 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,562,544 times
When we had loose problem dogs in our neighborhood, animal control set out traps for them. Something to consider.

Also, they have homeowners insurance, yes? I would notify their company of the problem and the potential for a big payout if one of these dogs injures someone. How was the death of the chihuaua compenstated [or not?]

Old 08-01-2008, 08:44 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,670,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
This is for the OP and anyone, anywhere, who has to put up with nuisance dogs. There is a direct correlation between belligerent barking and agressiveness. Chances are, this pack of dogs barks incessantly. There is a site, www.barkingdogs.net
that describes this behavior. It also explains why this type of people continue to keep problem dogs. They've created a problem, a dangerous one at that, and refuse to correct it. When anyone complains, they scream VICTIM!!! It comes down to: pissing off family, or living in fear. I choose the former.
There is no such thing as a problem dog.....the problem is ALWAYS the owner!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:30 AM

543 posts, read 2,365,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
When we had loose problem dogs in our neighborhood, animal control set out traps for them. Something to consider.

Also, they have homeowners insurance, yes? I would notify their company of the problem and the potential for a big payout if one of these dogs injures someone. How was the death of the chihuaua compenstated [or not?]
Speaking of the chihuahua, I found pictures of him last night and cried. I loved that little booger so much and it hurts me to think of the trauma he went through before he died. It was almost like he held on to his last breath for his mama and then went on to rainbow bridge.

No compensation was ever offered for his death. None. Not even a serious apology. I think that instead of money for my chi, they should have to make a generous donation to the local shelter.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:26 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,483,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
Speaking of the chihuahua, I found pictures of him last night and cried. I loved that little booger so much and it hurts me to think of the trauma he went through before he died. It was almost like he held on to his last breath for his mama and then went on to rainbow bridge.

No compensation was ever offered for his death. None. Not even a serious apology. I think that instead of money for my chi, they should have to make a generous donation to the local shelter.
......or a contribution towards a fence .

Could you have a family sit-down and explain that you're still upset over the loss and you want to move past it and not hold a grudge. Since you did not ask for any monetary compensation for your loss, nor did you call any authorities, you've decided that to make things right in the family, you are asking them to kick in for some fencing.

They may refuse, there's probably a good chance they will, but you'll have said your piece and there will be no misunderstanding that you feel they did not do right by you .

You never know.....they may refuse to kick in for the materials, but they may offer you free labor in putting a fence up and that might heal some of the rift in the family.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:51 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,434,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
It sounds like somebody needs to put up some fencing. I don't see any other solution. If all the dogs are allowed to roam free, they will come in contact with each other.

You don't need to fence in all 8 acres, but how about 1 acre? or 1/2 of an acre? Plenty of dogs live on less land than that and do fine.

Remember, fences are there to keep things out as much as to keep things in.
I agree totally, esp. for a chihuahua and a jrt, they dont need a ton of acres. We have 4 small dogs on approx 1/2 acre (irreg. shaped) and fenced in a portion of that and it's been wonderful, they have plenty of freedom, it's very easy to pick up after them and when we go out, they come in quickly (they're inside dogs anyway but I dont have to chase them in). Plus it was inexpensive. Have a friend in another town w/ 2 small dogs and she got some kind of low cattle fencing to keep her dogs in the yard (but she didnt have big dogs living nearby). Would really give it some thought. Good luck and I hope the situation can be resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs