Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:33 PM

543 posts, read 2,364,043 times

Advertisements

I love dogs, I do, but I despise my neighbors. I posted on here before about the neighbor's golden retrievers attacking and killing my chihuahua back in May. We have had no real serious issues until they got another GR that is younger than the other two. That dog is the dog from "H".

Not only has this particular been part of the clan that killed my little Theodore, he has attacked the neighbor's dog recently, caught me off guard in my own yard and growled at me, but late this evening ran up in my yard while we were outside and tried to attack my JRT. I hit him with something and he ran off. The neighbor called and told me that nothing better happen to her dog. Oblivious to that fact that her dog has real issues, she had the nerve to talk smack to me. Warning after warning has been issued to her about her dogs and she continues to let them run wild. I am afraid of this dog biting a child and my concerns fall on deaf ears with her.

My biggest issue her is that they are my neighbors and also my husband's family but after the death of my dog, I really want them to kiss off! I have never seen such irresponsible dog owners in my life. I have never been around such an aggressive dog in my life. My pitbull was an angel and never harmed anyone and this GR is killing and attacking small animals and getting away with it.

Any advice? I have called animal patrol but they keep locking their dogs up when they see them coming. It's not financially possible to fence off all 8 acres where I live. We do have some fencing in the back yard but I also feel that my dog should have the freedom to be with her masters on her own front porch without being attacked.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 07:58 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,525,776 times
Dang this is family acting like this? Can you video tape these dogs or anything so have proof for animal control? Never knew Goldens to be mean unless abused or inbred. If one attacked one of my dogs or me to bad family or not I would shoot the dog/dogs.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:18 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Is there any way that you can trap the dog (s) when they're on you're property? Then perhaps call animal patrol? I'd also document every single time their dog was on my property--writing down dates/times, taking pictures, even videotaping. I know in my neighborhood, we had a dog that was left outside and barked incessantly. One of my neighborhoods tape recorded that dog barking, kept a journal and took the matter to civil court. I know she ended up winning, but don't know the specifics. Maybe you could do something like that?

Old 07-29-2008, 08:26 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Has hubby talked to his family about the dogs?

Old 07-29-2008, 09:14 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
All dogs no matter what the breed can go into "pack mentality". This pack has killed so that's not good. Document, call the police or better yet got to the station and tell them the whole thing. These dogs are a menice to the neighborhood. What's going to happen if the go after a child???

Just because they are goldens doesn't mean that they can't be bad...it could be poor breeding, poor socilization, no training.

I'd also bone up on the laws in your county about dog control, there should be something on the books about dangerous animals.

These people are not being responsible pet owners.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 PM

Thanks. I know about the pack mentality and as odd as it sounds, they have owned three GRs at a time and nothing like this has ever happened before. They get this new pup late last year and BAM - the aggression starts. My husband has said something to them about it but takes a lighter approach because his cousin, the owner, is having health problems.

But, there is something seriously off with this lighter colored, younger one. I can't explain it. It's not your normal puppy stage. He is very aggressive towards other dogs and has shown signs of aggression towards humans.

Thank you so much for the advice. I'm going to start documenting. I've grieved over my chi and I do not want my JRT to be attacked and killed by this dog. It's bad when you can't even have control over your own yard without inteference from the neighborhood dog/dogs.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Dang this is family acting like this? Can you video tape these dogs or anything so have proof for animal control? Never knew Goldens to be mean unless abused or inbred. If one attacked one of my dogs or me to bad family or not I would shoot the dog/dogs.
I hear ya. As I said before, my pit was the sweetest dog ever. Well trained, socialized, good temperment, etc. She NEVER showed aggression towards anything.
And when I reported to AP about the first incident with the death of my dog, the first thing they did was ask me if the pit did it. Can you believe that? Mention a GR and people think they are all cute and sweet. Not all are, I've found that out the hard way.
I hope to avoid something else bad happening. I know that if that dog bit one of our children he would be history.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
The REAL PROBLEM is not THE DOGS! IT IS THE OWNERS ...WHEN WILL PEOPLE STOP BLAMING THE ANIMALS?
Now if these were Pitbulls they would have been picked up by Animal Control and put down already. You have to speak with the owners to get control over their dogs! Remember, a dog is a reflection of its owner!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post

Any advice? I have called animal patrol but they keep locking their dogs up when they see them coming. It's not financially possible to fence off all 8 acres where I live. We do have some fencing in the back yard but I also feel that my dog should have the freedom to be with her masters on her own front porch without being attacked.

Thanks!
It sounds like somebody needs to put up some fencing. I don't see any other solution. If all the dogs are allowed to roam free, they will come in contact with each other.

You don't need to fence in all 8 acres, but how about 1 acre? or 1/2 of an acre? Plenty of dogs live on less land than that and do fine.

Remember, fences are there to keep things out as much as to keep things in.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:18 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
I agree with Riveree. Yes, you have a problem with your neighbors/relatives...but your responsibility here is to YOUR dog. If that means sitting on the back deck or patio behind a fence rather than the front porch, so be it. In a perfect world we could all let our dogs off lead or out of our control to wander, but it ain't that way. No good for anyone, least of all your dog. I think particularly if you are in a rural area where there may be no real "rules" regarding confinement of pets, it is all the more important that you invest a minimal amount in fencing to keep your dog safe. I've seen some great low cost fencing on country property...4 x 4s set 8 feet apart with 4 ft. x 8 ft. cattle fencing nailed between them horizontally and 2 x 4s at the top and bottom for security. Put you some honeysuckle or jasmine over it - presto, cheap fence and landscaping and privacy all at once! With a JRT you may have to go with the 2 inch x 4 inch mesh wire, but it comes in very rigid sheets and can be easily worked with.

I have 7 dogs under a fenced half acre and they are doing quite well! Put up a fence for yours and your dog's security and peace of mind. In the meantime, document what you can...and get husband involved in this. If it's his family, he needs to set the stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs