Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:50 PM

29 posts, read 375,067 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently aquired a new dog, a puggle from a man who just didn't have time for her anymore and she was constantly in a cage. He assured us she was potty trained. She's 2 years old, VERY healthy.. Had all the check ups for UTI's, crystals in urine etc etc... Nothing.. she however will not stop urinating in the house! We have carpets and we gave in and bought a carpet cleaner and use the Natures miracle as a cleaner, the no marking kind specifically.... I thought maybe it was a dominace thing over my other dog a toy poodle but I dont know..

We can take her out 5 times a day and she's still guarenteed to pee at least once on the carpet, or my couch or my bed. We've even gone as far as gettin baby gates to put up around the house to keep her out of places!

She's also obsessed with water so we've limited her intake well rather controlled it because if you put down a bucket of wate she'll drink the whole thing. We make sure she gets enough but not too much. She even jumps in the shower to drink the water... Not diabetic or anything like that though..

I'm just at a loss!! I have had many dogs and all have been sucessfully house broken, this dog however refuses.. Won't crate train, won't do it for treats nothing! Help where do I go from here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 03:59 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
You might want to post this over in the dog section of this forum where it will be seen by a lot more people.
If she has been given a complete health check,( You say she is very healthy, but has a vet deemed her so....and was it you who took her to the vet and not the person whom you got her from?) then I would say, you will need to start from scratch with her, just as if she were a puppy.
That means getting her out every 30 minutes or so....as soon as she as eliminated, praise her and bring her back in. Play times outdoors and bringing her out to eliminate should be totally different until she gets the idea of why she is out there. Praise and treats are great motivators.
It sounds like you are already limiting her living space, which is a good idea until she can be trusted.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:00 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrypie_skyhigh View Post
My husband and I recently aquired a new dog, a puggle from a man who just didn't have time for her anymore and she was constantly in a cage. He assured us she was potty trained. She's 2 years old, VERY healthy.. Had all the check ups for UTI's, crystals in urine etc etc... Nothing.. she however will not stop urinating in the house! We have carpets and we gave in and bought a carpet cleaner and use the Natures miracle as a cleaner, the no marking kind specifically.... I thought maybe it was a dominace thing over my other dog a toy poodle but I dont know..

We can take her out 5 times a day and she's still guarenteed to pee at least once on the carpet, or my couch or my bed. We've even gone as far as gettin baby gates to put up around the house to keep her out of places!

She's also obsessed with water so we've limited her intake well rather controlled it because if you put down a bucket of wate she'll drink the whole thing. We make sure she gets enough but not too much. She even jumps in the shower to drink the water... Not diabetic or anything like that though..

I'm just at a loss!! I have had many dogs and all have been sucessfully house broken, this dog however refuses.. Won't crate train, won't do it for treats nothing! Help where do I go from here!!
ViralMD has posted great instructions on housetraining: http://www.city-data.com/forum/5663078-post3.html.

When she's not crated, tie her to your waist with a short leash. Keep her with you at all times and you'll catch her when she looks ready to go. Hustle her outside and praise her when she goes.

Inside, you can try a female bellyband. You can buy these in pet stores. They're made especially for females in heat. Just put a sanitary pad inside and you won't have wet floors, carpets or beds. This isn't a solution for the problem but it will help until she gets trained.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:11 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Looks like we have two identical threads....this one was first posted in the pet section....between the two, she has gotten some great advice!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:01 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
Not sure how long you've had her but sometimes it takes a while for them to get used to a new routine - would start over as if she's a pup - feed her once or twice a day and get her on some type of schedule - take her outside more often, go outside w/ her so you know what she's doing and keep her on a leash, she's out there to go, not to play - take her out after she eats, when she wakes up etc - would gate her in the kitchen when you cant watch her (or leash her to you like someone said). Your dog may have been overcrated and she may piddle/poop in the crate which is a bad habit and difficult to undo - to get her to accept it more, try feeding her in it and that should help. If she's still not thrilled w/ the crate, wouldn't push it at this point, would just keep a very close eye on her and reward her w/ small tasty treats (tiny piece of chicken, cheese or steak). Another thought about the crate - some prefer the wire crates (better ventilation and they're more likely to feel like a part of the family than if they're in a small dark crate) so you might want to try that if you really want to crate her, otherwise would just keep her in the kitchen when you can't watch her.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 24,826 times
I have a 4 year old toy poodle that I rescued 1 1/2 years ago. I take her out in the morning before breakfast, walk her after breakfast; middle of afternoon and take her out again after dinner (5:00 P.M.) She has been pee-free for a while, and is now absolutely ruining my area rug with pee. I have another area rug in another room, but her rug of choice is the living room. She's good for a couple of days and then whammo, forget it. I am at the point of wanting to take the rug out of the living room and leaving the wood floor bare. Any help would be appreciated. And yes, I do get angry with her and when I spot the pee she runs under the kitchen table because she knows she has done wrong.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:54 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Take her to the Vets she could have a UTI!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
since UTI has been ruled out...
my next thought is DIABETES, pugs are prone to it, and excessive thirst is a VERY VERY common symptom as is excessive urnination.

otherwise g back to step 1, pretend shes an 8 week old puppy. potty trips EVERY hour your home, when your not home, crate, when you are home if you cannot watch her 110% of your attention she either goes in the crate or she gets thethered to you. once shes accident free for a few days on a once every hour schedual, start taking her out every 1 1/2-2 hours, repeat the process adding a little time between potty visits but ONLY after shes accident fre for a few days...if shes doing well every 2 hours, but has an accident when you go to 3 hours, go back to taking her out every 2 1/2 hours, and if that doesnt work go bac to 2 hours untill shes consistently accident free again then increas only by 1/2 an hour next time ect.
her crate needs to be small (if she was crated 24/ befor hand she may already be used to pottying in the crate) so make sure the crate is big enough only to stand up, turn around and lay down in. botherwise id suggest tethering when your home and even on an hourly schedual if she even looks like shes thingking about needing to go take her out imediatly.

She will get the hang of it eventually, but if shes never been taught beyond the crate (she may be 100% house broken when in her crate, but now she has so much space...all bets are off) itll take a whiel to reteach her.
but definatly have her tested for diabetes first. the "obession" with water is a telltale sign of diabetes in dogs.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:14 AM

819 posts, read 3,208,145 times
OP is from almost 4 years ago - hopefully she got the hang of it. I would be pissed of my dob wasn't house trained after all that time

Old 05-20-2012, 10:22 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
It took Caesar 18 months before he completely stopped peeing in the house, I've never had a dog take that long to train.
I don't know if it's harder to train a peke or if was just him. One day he stopped, that was it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs