Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:18 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
SouthernBell,

Does your dog pull the strings of the rope toy out? I thought about giving my beagle mix a rope toy but I was afraid to let him play with it while unsupervised. I have visions of the rope strings, becoming... um, digested.
They DON'T digest... they stay intact. They um, look about the same as they did when they come back out ~

I wouldn't leave them alone with them in a crate though. I'd be afraid of choking on the strings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 09:25 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,944 times
Can you not put a top on the kennel? That way she could have fresh air and more space.

They can get crates open or chew out, although she might not.

I'd say yes she can be trained to be a good house dog, especially potty training. As far as chewing it is hard to say, you might be able to teach her what not to chew on and have a couple safe toys for her but there is no guarantee she won't destroy something she isn't supposed to when unsupervised/bored. If you have a small room that doesn't have a bunch of stuff she can destroy you could leave her there once she is potty trained while you are away.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 1,365 times
I have a 6 month old boxer mastiff mix that tears up the edges of the trampoline pulling the styrofoam out all over the yard. I have tried showing him the mess and telling him no chew, bad puppy and I even sprayed the trampoline with amonia, any suggestions. I have bought him chew toys and he is in the pin with another older dog that plays well with him. Please help affraid my husband is going to make get rid of my pup

Old 08-04-2015, 09:48 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big MIke2015 View Post
I have a 6 month old boxer mastiff mix that tears up the edges of the trampoline pulling the styrofoam out all over the yard. I have tried showing him the mess and telling him no chew, bad puppy and I even sprayed the trampoline with amonia, any suggestions. I have bought him chew toys and he is in the pin with another older dog that plays well with him. Please help affraid my husband is going to make get rid of my pup
How long is he in the backyard? It sounds like he's bored. How much exercise does he get? I would not leave him for long periods unsupervised in the backyard and up his exercise.

Showing him the mess and telling him no means nothing to him. He can't understand it. Please don't spray anything with ammonia it's toxic to dogs. There is a product called bitter apple that is safe for dogs and deters them from chewing. However in his case I doubt that it will help since he sounds pretty determined.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:54 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big MIke2015 View Post
Exercise is the key to solving so many destructiveness issues. Boxers are a high energy breed and when you combine that with puppy energy, you have a dog that needs lots of exercise much of the time. Frequent walks, runs, playing with the ball, dog parks, tug of war, anything to keep his mind and body stimulated will prevent a lot of these tearing up problems. And be sure he has a lot of good things to chew; bones, hooves, whatever. When he chews things that are OK, praise him. Don't just punish him for being bad. Be patient, give him the exercise he needs, and both you and the pup will be much happier. Lots of crate time is no substitute for running out the puppy energy. A tired dog is a happy dog. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2015, 11:15 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Caveat, this is not cheap. Look at crates used by show people. Most of them have dual latches, one a rotary clasping type, the other a hasp type that can take a carabiner or lock. I don't think even a pit can open this type of crate.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:33 AM

He is very active we play with alot through out the day, and he has a large area it is not a small yard, my problem is at night this is when he is tearing things up. My dog that is in with him is older and she will play with for a while at night but she goes to sleep and he starts tearing things up. I think I will try to crate at night for a few nights and see if that helps. I have a large crate so I know he will have enough room to just be in it at night. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:59 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
I would use the large crate at night if that is when he is destructive. Eventually leave him out for short periods to see how he does. Also would try the bitter apple.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:39 PM

I bought the bitter apple today wil see if it helps but he will go to bed in the kennel tonight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs