Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:12 PM

260 posts, read 843,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I refuse to buy any Iams product because they support PETA who has actively tried to abolish the Iditarod. Like Keeper, I also use "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul." Strange name, but an excellent quality kibble.
I don't think Iams supports PETA given that PETA has devoted a website to attacking them IamsCruelty.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:24 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
DandJ, when you switch foods, make certain to do a transistion which I think you mentioned you plan on doing anyway. Also, stick with the same line/quality of treats as well. Yes, you do need to consider the caloric intake on the treats and not overdo it.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
DandJ, when you switch foods, make certain to do a transistion which I think you mentioned you plan on doing anyway. Also, stick with the same line/quality of treats as well. Yes, you do need to consider the caloric intake on the treats and not overdo it.
That part I did know -- the transitioning. I did that when I switched him from Science Diet. I'm not sure how I knew to do that -- someone must have told me, though -- but I plan to do the same when we switch foods this time too. Thanks!

But the same line/quality of treats? This is news to me. Quality I can understand (although, like me [his Mama], he's a fan of the junk food ) but is there a benefit -- beyond getting the same quality -- of having treats in the same line/brand as the meals?

Thanks again! You're always so helpful!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:06 AM

138 posts, read 618,858 times
As far as feeding the same line of dog treats, I'm not sure what you are meaning by this. Dog treats from the grocery store, PetsMart, etc have a lot of corn, corn meal, BHA, BHT, by-product, etc in the treats, just like the dog food does. So, if you get treats from these type of places, make sure it does not have all that in there. It will be hard to find any type of treat at a grocery store that does not have the By-product, BHA, BHT, etc in it. Your best bet is to find a natural pet food store in your area. If your feeding a high quality food already, then the place that you get your kibble from most likely will have treats with better quality ingredients. But, you don't have to feed the same brand of treats as the dog food, if this is what you mean. For example, if your feeding Solid Gold kibble, you don't have to feed only Solid Gold treats. Hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugluvr View Post
As far as feeding the same line of dog treats, I'm not sure what you are meaning by this. Dog treats from the grocery store, PetsMart, etc have a lot of corn, corn meal, BHA, BHT, by-product, etc in the treats, just like the dog food does. So, if you get treats from these type of places, make sure it does not have all that in there. It will be hard to find any type of treat at a grocery store that does not have the By-product, BHA, BHT, etc in it. Your best bet is to find a natural pet food store in your area. If your feeding a high quality food already, then the place that you get your kibble from most likely will have treats with better quality ingredients. But, you don't have to feed the same brand of treats as the dog food, if this is what you mean. For example, if your feeding Solid Gold kibble, you don't have to feed only Solid Gold treats. Hope this helps.
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant or, rather, was asking -- if I should feed him the same brand treats as I am food. Meaning, if I transition him to Solid Gold food, do I have to give him Solid Gold treats. I guess the key is to give not junky treats, but healthier treats than I've been giving him (the "junk food" of canine treats).

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:24 AM

5,296 posts, read 7,237,341 times
Our Dog likes California Natural.
When we switched her from Iams to CN her tummy troubles she had been having pretty much disappeared.
Good luck, it can be confusing, so many options out there.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Good luck, it can be confusing, so many options out there.
Exactly! That's why this forum is so awesome! I get to pick the brains of so many dog lovers so that I can do what's best for my furry friend.

You guys all ROCK!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:39 AM

138 posts, read 618,858 times
I forgot to mention that when you make the switch to the natural food, you'll find that your dog will poo less too because there are no fillers in there so he is actually benefiting from the food he is eating and not "disposing" all the fillers and unnecessary "junk food" like there are in the IAMS food. Also, you may want to put some yogurt on his/her food, especially in the beginning as this will help the digestive system with the switch. I put yogurt on my girls food 3-4 times a week as it's good in probiotics, good for their digestive system, immune system among many other things. I get an organic yogurt from the grocery store for about 50 cents for the small container and it lasts me about 2 weeks. Course I have 2 pugs but anyway...something to think about. The DanActive yogurt by Dannon is also a good yogurt that you can get from the grocery store.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugluvr View Post
I forgot to mention that when you make the switch to the natural food, you'll find that your dog will poo less too because there are no fillers in there so he is actually benefiting from the food he is eating and not "disposing" all the fillers and unnecessary "junk food" like there are in the IAMS food. Also, you may want to put some yogurt on his/her food, especially in the beginning as this will help the digestive system with the switch. I put yogurt on my girls food 3-4 times a week as it's good in probiotics, good for their digestive system, immune system among many other things. I get an organic yogurt from the grocery store for about 50 cents for the small container and it lasts me about 2 weeks. Course I have 2 pugs but anyway...something to think about. The DanActive yogurt by Dannon is also a good yogurt that you can get from the grocery store.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be transitioning him from his old food to the new, a bit at a time, but I like the yogurt idea. I bet he'll like it too! (He's such a piggie! )

Old 12-03-2008, 12:39 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant or, rather, was asking -- if I should feed him the same brand treats as I am food. Meaning, if I transition him to Solid Gold food, do I have to give him Solid Gold treats. I guess the key is to give not junky treats, but healthier treats than I've been giving him (the "junk food" of canine treats).

Thanks!
That's pretty much what I was saying, stay on the same level of quality. Other great things are carrots and bananas, my dogs love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs