Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:56 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLuvinWoman1 View Post
I honestly think that no matter what people buy or where they buy it or how they buy it..there will always be someone to criticize. If i buy a purebreed..someone will be upset I didn't rescue one from the shelter..if I get a cross..someone will complain I didn't buy a purebreed and so on and so on. So I have found you can't please everyone and it's best to do as you feel is best for you and your family. I also think it's rude to say Labradoodles are ugly when someone just posted a pic of theirs..
Your right CLW! Just can't please everyone! I have PureBred dogs and PureBred cats. And I also have rescues. I do what is right for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 09:58 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
How adorable! And the price was right! Not $25 and not $23...but $24! LOL!
LOL well it was an old farmer in the middle of nowhere,& after we got REALLY lost trying to find the place,& had to call on the cell phone several times,and when we got there I was a dollar short for the $25 he was asking for the pups,just to cover their shots/worming. He told me just to forget the dollar,wasn't gonna break him!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:00 AM

973 posts, read 3,305,191 times
I am floored when I hear that someone actually paid a ridiculous amount of money for a so-called "designer dog" when they are simply a mixed breed. A mixed breed at the shelter will run around $100 or so and that is to help offset the costs that the shelter incurs for shots and spaying. At this point, designer breeds haven't been around long enough to have acquired any consistancy in appearance and temperment.

The purebred, registered dogs of today started out as a mutt and through many years of selective breeding, produced a certain look and temperment. Many of those breeds have been around much longer than any of us. Someday the AKC may classify some of these "designers" as a new purebreed. Right now though, "designer dogs" don't even have the recognition of the AKC and aren't papered. I would expect to pay big money for an AKC registered dog, not a mixed breed.

IMHO, it's a damned shame that there are so many sweet and loving animals at the pound which are put to death each day because someone wanted a Purebreed or Designer breed instead. I have had several purebred animals in the past and I can tell you that they do not have a monopoly on charm, cuteness or brains.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:01 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
LOL well it was an old farmer in the middle of nowhere,& after we got REALLY lost trying to find the place,& had to call on the cell phone several times,and when we got there I was a dollar short for the $25 he was asking for the pups,just to cover their shots/worming. He told me just to forget the dollar,wasn't gonna break him!
Years ago,right after we got married and had NO money...we bought our first dog out in the hills of Napa, Ca. $5! Half Black Lab/Half Golden Retriever. What a great dog is was!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:07 AM

321 posts, read 1,557,066 times
Ummm, to the posters who said that now everybody will want a dog like the one in "Marley & Me", that dog is a Labrador Retriever, and they are already the most popular dog in the US. So I don't think the movie is going to have that big of an impact since they are nothing new and trendy.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 AM

591 posts, read 1,415,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
LOL well I'm not surprised,as some of the people on CD are not the kindest,brightest people out there.
I could care less if someone calls my wonderful pup "ugly", as I get the pleasure of his company every day & knowing that he is likely smarter than some posters here.
I couldn't help but defend your lil baby. I thought what was said was so rude. I have yet to see an ugly dog. To me I don't understand how some people can say they love all dogs yet go on to say which breeds are ugly..to me they are all pretty..

Old 12-16-2008, 10:13 AM

Shelby..same here..I have some purebreeds and some that were rescues..

Gizmo..if u knew much about dogs then you'd know that dogs were made up of breeding one breed to another..do u think all these breeds just magically appeared?

Old 12-16-2008, 10:15 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,808 times
"Designer Breeds" are nothing more than a person's attempt to make a buck at the expense of the ignorant person willing to pay for their ignorance - with no concept of breeding or genetics.

Why do people believe it is truly possible to combine 2 (or three) breeds to get "the BEST" of each breed"???

Why aren't you getting the "WORST" of each breed?

Even Code of Ethics breeders who have years of experience with genetics and bloodlines will occasionally not get the right "mix" for what they are breeding for.

Who in their right mind thinks that BYB (back yard breeders) who saw a trend and decided to make some bucks are now genetic experts.

No offense to anyone or their beloved mix breed but "designer breeds" are nothing more than a mutt with a designer name - nothing more.

And PLEASE don't even think of BREEDING one of these dogs - what will you have then - a ScnoodelLabradoodleDandy???

Just say no.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:18 AM

Grason I agree it should be left up to the experts. I will agree with you on that one not.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:30 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Even when breeding purebreds, two show champion dogs, you're not going to get a litter of all champion quality puppies. Breeding isn't an exact science. And mixed puppies aren't guaranteed getting the best traits of the parents.

I loved my short legged Scottish terrier Schnauzer mix, but went I went online to look at other Scotty Schnauzer mixes, there were quite a few variations in what was available. Some were long legged, others had more of a Schnauzer's colourations, most lacked the nice feathered ears, some had longer snouts. I never did find a dog that looked exactly like my old terrier. So now I have a black and white spotted lab mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs