Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 02:56 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,468 times

Advertisements

These dogs seem more "people-like" probably because they THINK they ARE people. I love dogs, but I've never seen one make more attempts to be a human ever. My boss also has a shihtzu that he took in when it was dumped, and he says the same thing. He is convinced that she thinks she is human. He insists that she watches t.v. with him every night. As soon as he sits down in his easy chair in front of the television, she comes running and jumps up in his lap. She then stares at the t.v. until it is time for her to go out and then she runs to the bed, jumps up, and throws herself down with her head on a pillow - just like people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,339 times
Default dominance

What's a good way to tell when you're picking out a shih tzu whether they are going to be really dominant? Are there any good standard tests to try?

Old 03-21-2007, 03:23 PM

Shihtzus are small so I haven't ever worried about dominance. I wouldn't say that anybody's dog here is particularly dominant, just feisty. We all love our dogs and love having them in our lives.

I understand that a good test to conduct when choosing any dog is to roll the dog over on their back (carefully and without hurting the dog) and try to keep them there (humanely) and see what kind of struggle it puts up. If you see a real fight or aggression come out during that test, then you know you're dealing with a strong-willed dog. Also, pay attention to how the puppy interacts with its littermates. If the puppy is attacking, jumping, and biting at his/her littermates, then that is another sign, too. Good luck. These dogs are really great and real people pleasers so don't worry too much about ending up with a dominant or aggressive dog. By the way, I haven't ever known any Shihtzu who doesn't like its belly rubbed. My dog cannot see good anymore, but she can still hear me, and she lifts her leg as I pass by (just enough to expose her belly for belly rubs)! You could always adopt one from Shihtzu Rescue and then you'll have a better idea of your dog's personality.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
I loved our Shih Tzu's, they are great dogs. My "bubba" had no problem at all being held on her back but DO NOT DARE touch her back paws or the dog that would never bite would snap at you. I have no clue why she did not like her back paws touched that bad. She was a good ol girl w/ a ready smile. I knew it was time when she no longer smiled just sensing you were in the room , took her to the vet which she hated and would shake like leaf and that day she did not shake at all just layed her head down on my hand as I put her on the exam table and closed her eyes - and this was BEFORE they even gave her anything. She did have many health problems and lived to be about 16. She had skin allergies and got really down in her hips so bad that by the last few months many times you had to hold her up for her to go potty. They are great loyal dogs that have a fun personality, a ready smile and a sparkle in their eyes.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:06 PM

momof2 - your post was so heartwarming . . . but sad. It seems that our furry friends always know more than we give them credit for, and yours knew it was time and trusted you to carry out her wishes. It breaks my heart to think of that fateful day when we will need to say goodbye to our "Little Dog".

Old 03-22-2007, 03:17 PM

364 posts, read 527,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I loved our Shih Tzu's, they are great dogs. My "bubba" had no problem at all being held on her back but DO NOT DARE touch her back paws or the dog that would never bite would snap at you. I have no clue why she did not like her back paws touched that bad. She was a good ol girl w/ a ready smile. I knew it was time when she no longer smiled just sensing you were in the room , took her to the vet which she hated and would shake like leaf and that day she did not shake at all just layed her head down on my hand as I put her on the exam table and closed her eyes - and this was BEFORE they even gave her anything. She did have many health problems and lived to be about 16. She had skin allergies and got really down in her hips so bad that by the last few months many times you had to hold her up for her to go potty. They are great loyal dogs that have a fun personality, a ready smile and a sparkle in their eyes.
Wow. My eyes are watering right now after reading that. Reminds me of my furkid Comet that passed about two months ago. It is one of the hardest things in life.

I give Shih Tzu's five stars though. Great personality, loyal, smart, sweet. And very human like! My Mannie amazes me everyday.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:30 PM

I'm glad that this thread has been resurrected. It has been so enjoyable to talk about our sweet little dogs. My favorite thread yet!

Old 03-26-2007, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,314 times
I adopted a 3 yr old shih tzu from a rescue center just as I always have about one year ago! His name is Griffin and he's a big boy at 17 lbs. He is so sweet and entertaining to us. The only time he ever shows any signs of aggression is when you mess with his face, making it very difficult to clean the crud around his eyes. I can never get a good picture of him because he fears cameras from some reason. I've even tried to trick him with my camera phone, but he always knows. It's so strange. Everyone mentions how they are so human-like and I agree. To me he seems to be a cross between a toddler, a magui, and the luck dragon (Falcour) on The Never Ending Story. Sometime's he even stands on his hind-legs and that really looks human. I'm so glad that we were able to rescue this poor homeless puppy and wish that more people would do the same instead of buying from breeders. I don't see how anyone could live with themselves knowing that they are breeding life for money when there are so many homeless and and being put down everyday.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:29 AM

I woke up on Saturday night because I felt something out of the ordinary next to me. Turns out it was my Little Dog! She had climbed up higher on the bed (usually sleeps near my feet), and she was sound asleep with her head on my pillow right next to me. A very precious sight. I pulled the covers up more so that she was covered, too, and went back to sleep with a smile on my face.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
We have a Shih Tzu that is about 6-7 months old. She's a firecracker, but she's not dominant. We specifically picked a non-dominant female because we have young children and didn't want her being aggressive with them. Bella is a sweetheart - she plays rough with our other 2 cocker spaniels, but cozies up the kids with no problem.

She's so goofy looking with her tongue hanging out of her mouth almost all the time.

The only problem we have with her, is that she likes to eat ****! Ugh...
My Shih Tzu Rudy eats his **** too, but his vet told me to sprinkle "Accent" seasoning on his food and it will make his **** less appetizing..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs