Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 04:33 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyyygirl View Post
My puppy is 6 months old and has pooped and pees in his crate almost every day. He doesn't go in the house at all-only in the crate or outside. I've tried a comfy bed, towels and toys to keep him occupied but everything gets covered in poop! I don't feed him and then crate him so it's not that he doesn't "go" outside before he's crated. He does it 1-2 times and then jumps/walks through it so he needs to be bathed before the loving may commence. It's exhausting cleaning it up every day and I'm wondering "what happened to dogs won't eliminate in the crate"??? I've tried using a smaller crate, putting the divider in the larger crate so he doesn't have so much room but even when he only has the prescribed space of only being able to stand up, stretch and turn around, he still poops right in front of the door and then jumps up and down in it. Just recently I broke down and began letting him sleep in bed with me just so I won't have to spend an hour before work cleaning up the mess, only to have to do it again as soon as I get home. He almost always sleeps through the night but if he so much as wakes for a minute I get up and take him out but he only pees, no poop--and he never does anything in my bedroom. He is fed Blue so it's not a cheap food filled w/fillers. What to do?
Do you go out with him to potty or do you just open the door and let him out? You really need to go out with him, watch him, let him pee multiple times, and then have play time before he comes back in.

How long is he crated for and how long is it between bathroom breaks? At 6 months he can't hold it for more than about 4 hours at a time.

You may be expecting too much at this still early age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 04:53 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Got it but can't think about getting another dog now as I miss the dog I just put down.
I'm hoping he calms down.
It's strongly discouraged to replace any pet> especially if your rainbow bridge fur buddy had a fellow fur buddy!! Mainly because the dog left behind has to grieve the loss too plus this dog will also sense your GRIEF as well. Dog's have an affinity to their human leaders of the household..and they truly do feel you pain, fear, anger, loss as well.

So if you do replace you pup..make sure YOU are ready..and allow your "pooping" pup to grieve too..It's difficult I know, but I tend to agree that most of his issue at hand is due to stress/grief/insecurity sense at this point.

Maybe do a self-check to see just how YOU have been acting..Quieter..Less happy..?? Body language often changes. Whatever, you are feeling..the dog senses..and actually takes it upon themselves ALL the feelings too.

Try not to chastise, and I don't believe you are..But no doubt he knows/or at least understands things are NOT NORMAL..Once you get emotionally stable/accepting of the loss..this "poopy" puppy will come around PDQ. I also agree with trying to keep up the routine as close to normal as possible..and check out the diet..no doubt he is self - regulating his intake now..With his playmate gone..doesn't required the calorie intake so much right now!!

Good luck my friend..This will eventually get back to normal and Condolences for your loss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs