Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,944 times

Advertisements

I would guess the dog either doesn't realize outside is the ONLY place to poop. And the closet means the dog got in trouble pretty severe last time it went in front of the owner so the dog, illogically, learned pooping in front of owner in house is bad. Dogs are hard to undersand because you need dog-logic. Also if its a puppy all guess can be thrown out the window because they will just do whatever until the proper behavior is understood. I have seen ouppies poo in the house because the didn't realize they had to go until too late. And some that just don't want to quit playing long enough to go outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 01:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I appreciate your answer but this is a 2 year old dog-maltese- and I've never actually caught him in the act of pooping in the house but I have seen the poop. I certainly did express my unhappiness with "Oh Toby why did you do that?" and rushing to get the mess cleaned up but no screaming or hitting.

It usually happened early in the morning- say around 5 before I could walk him at 6:30. I hated to do it but I have both dogs sleeping in the laundry room now and not with me(Toby used to sleep in the bed with me but jumped down to poop very early). He has not messed in the laundry room at all since this new arrangement.

We feed him 5 star rated food-single ingredient, no grain Natures Variety I think it is, walk him 3-5 times daily, let him out to pee right at bedtime so he's not lacking exercise, quality food or plenty of opportunity to poop outside. Just drives me crazy to have a pet break potty training.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 5,944 times
The last two things I can guess at is that 1) Your dog as assumed the alpha roll and decided there is no reason to listen to you. You may want to read up on how to assert yourself as the alpha and that may help. Dogs sharing a bed is a no no when it comes to keeping alpha status, but i will let you read up on it. 2) the dog may be sick and can't hold it.

Hope it helps. I have a current dog giving me a similar issue, which is how I ended up here. she will just poop in Tue house randomly. Weeks apart sometimes days apart others. Driving me crazy.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,182 times
We adopted a rat terrier about 6 weeks ago. He is such a good little guy, but he's started pooping in his cage again. He did this a couple of times last week and we thought it was from giving him some table food, but since then we have been careful of how much and what he gets to eat. We have another dog, too, who tends to be the bossy, "original" one. We separate the little guy overnight from the other dog with both his crate and a gate so he is not bothered by the other one. He is 1 1/2 years old. I don't know what to do next to combat this problem and would appreciate any suggestions.
Cindy H.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:13 PM

We adopted a rat terrier about 6 weeks ago. He is such a good little guy, but he's started pooping in his cage again. He did this a couple of times last week and we thought it was from giving him some table food, but since then we have been careful of how much and what he gets to eat. We have another dog, too, who tends to be the bossy, "original" one. We separate the little guy overnight from the other dog with both his crate and a gate so he is not bothered by the other one. He is 1 1/2 years old. I don't know what to do next to combat this problem and would appreciate any suggestions.
Cindy H.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:14 PM

I see that there have not been posts in quite a while. Is this site still in operation?

Old 09-05-2014, 12:16 PM

5,520 posts, read 7,112,574 times
I have a 5 month old Bernese Mountain Dog and he poops and pees in the crate. Not everyday, but often enough. I crate him while I'm at work. He 's in for 4 hours, I come home and let him out then he goes back in for another 4 hours. At five months, he should be able to hold it in for 4 hours.
I feed him Iams puppy food for large breed dogs. He gets one cup in the morning and another for dinner. I also have two other dogs, One also gets crated and the other has the run of the house.
Don't know why he is doing this either but it's getting ridiculous. He also eats his poo which turns my stomach. Every dog I get always does that, (4 out of 5, in the last 12 years) it's gross. I can't pick it up fast enough.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Because this is an "old" thread, it may not be getting as much attention as a new thread would.

First thing you might want to do is a check up with the vet to make sure there are no health issues for the dogs.

But in truth, it sounds to me like both of you need to take a step back and reinforce the training for your dogs. It often isn't a one and done thing. Re-evaluate their feeding and bathroom schedules and figure out how to make the dog successful in going outside when he is supposed to and not making messes in their crates. It will take time and consistency.

If you google "dog pooping in crate" you'll get lots of sites with tips.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,028 times
Unhappy My puppy poops in his crate!

My puppy is 6 months old and has pooped and pees in his crate almost every day. He doesn't go in the house at all-only in the crate or outside. I've tried a comfy bed, towels and toys to keep him occupied but everything gets covered in poop! I don't feed him and then crate him so it's not that he doesn't "go" outside before he's crated. He does it 1-2 times and then jumps/walks through it so he needs to be bathed before the loving may commence. It's exhausting cleaning it up every day and I'm wondering "what happened to dogs won't eliminate in the crate"??? I've tried using a smaller crate, putting the divider in the larger crate so he doesn't have so much room but even when he only has the prescribed space of only being able to stand up, stretch and turn around, he still poops right in front of the door and then jumps up and down in it. Just recently I broke down and began letting him sleep in bed with me just so I won't have to spend an hour before work cleaning up the mess, only to have to do it again as soon as I get home. He almost always sleeps through the night but if he so much as wakes for a minute I get up and take him out but he only pees, no poop--and he never does anything in my bedroom. He is fed Blue so it's not a cheap food filled w/fillers. What to do?

Old 04-19-2016, 11:59 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Not Trained You leaving him in the crate Too long. At 6 months old he needs to go Out often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs