Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:51 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,353,229 times

Advertisements

They get such bad reps.
I don't know much about pits other than a lot of people in my community have them and they're such nice dogs and nice around other kids.
My dog and a neighbors pit get together and play sometimes and they get along really well.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:31 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,697,780 times
I donate to my local animal shelter and when I do I tour the kennels. I have noticed than in recent years the majority of breeds are pit bulls and pit bull mixes. It seems to me if there are so many advocates for pit bulls there would be fewer of them in the animal shelters. The truth is that pit bulls have been exploited by people trying to make a profit from breeding and selling them. When things don't work out the dogs end up in the animal shelter and eventually euthanized.
The real crime is people taking a dog breed and training it to do what no breed should be trained to do. Pit bulls got a bad rap, but it is people who make them that way. No one can blame a township for the passing laws to protect their citizens. Advocates for pit bulls need to address their concerns to the people responsible for giving their favorite breed a vicious reputation. For one, I suggest touring your local animal shelter and seeing how you can help.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,669,220 times
Here in Florida if you look in the classified section of the Orlando Sentinal....it is almost a full page of puppies for sale...from breeds A to Z! There are also so many pitbull breeders advertising pups for sale. And most are all backyard breeders. Makes me sick, especially in this state where so many unwanted dogs are euthenized. Daytona alone puts down 13,000 dogs a year. Very sad. I just saw another dog running on a main road the other day...but could not get it, my car was full of stuff. Shame.... it looked like a Pyrenese mix.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:26 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,498,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keliko View Post
If your American Pit Bull Terrier is the correct size, it should be between 35 lbs to 65 lbs. I would suggest telling them it's a Mountain Cur or Mountain Cur mix(throw lab in there). Look it up, most of the time, they have no idea what it is, as long as it's not a "Pit Bull," your safe.

If it's on the bigger side, let your imagination run, LOL. A lot of these Bully pits have mastiff in them, say Mastiff and Lab, etc...
"Lab mix" worked for us. However, when she got older her looks did change quite a bit. Oh well. Lab mix is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Pits do get a VERY bad rap. The owners of Pits that "go bad" should be the focus. How many owners raise Pits to be mean??

Thankfully, the Humane Society here hasn't jumped on the band wagon that Pit Bulls are bad.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:33 PM

342 posts, read 1,832,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keliko View Post
If your American Pit Bull Terrier is the correct size, it should be between 35 lbs to 65 lbs. I would suggest telling them it's a Mountain Cur or Mountain Cur mix(throw lab in there). Look it up, most of the time, they have no idea what it is, as long as it's not a "Pit Bull," your safe.

If it's on the bigger side, let your imagination run, LOL. A lot of these Bully pits have mastiff in them, say Mastiff and Lab, etc...
Usually bans restrict "pit bull-TYPE" dogs, in addition to naming specific breeds. So if it looks like a pitbull to them (i.e. muscular dog of similar size), then that's all that matters. That's the problem with these legislations (aside from the fact that they exist), they use really vague terminology.

Also, mastiffs are often on restricted lists as well (not all, but increasingly so), and are sometimes considered to be "pit bull-type" dogs because they are large, muscular and powerful breeds. So reporting a dog as a mastiff may not necessarily save it from BSL.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
Persoanlly ;I thnik pit bull owners and lovers need to do more than fight a ban as if they don't its juts a matter of time. There could be required licensing and training. There are even more and more other breed owenrs that are having their dogs attacked. Owners ignore the problem then others won't;its just a matter of time.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,021,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I donate to my local animal shelter and when I do I tour the kennels. I have noticed than in recent years the majority of breeds are pit bulls and pit bull mixes. It seems to me if there are so many advocates for pit bulls there would be fewer of them in the animal shelters. The truth is that pit bulls have been exploited by people trying to make a profit from breeding and selling them. When things don't work out the dogs end up in the animal shelter and eventually euthanized.
The real crime is people taking a dog breed and training it to do what no breed should be trained to do. Pit bulls got a bad rap, but it is people who make them that way. No one can blame a township for the passing laws to protect their citizens. Advocates for pit bulls need to address their concerns to the people responsible for giving their favorite breed a vicious reputation. For one, I suggest touring your local animal shelter and seeing how you can help.
Great post! I agree! I was shocked by the number of pit bulls in our local animal shelter when I went to adopt a dog. I'd estimate they made up 60-70 percent of the number of dogs there. Clearly, there's a problem and it needs to be addressed head-on.

In the wrong hands, these dogs are like weapons and the "wrong hands" gravitate toward these dogs like magnets. Anyone with a criminal record shouldn't be allowed to own one. Period. No one under 18 should be allowed to be the primary owner, either. Besides a strictly enforced leash law, muzzles should be required when these dogs are taken out in public off their own property.

Breeders of ALL breeds should be better regulated and monitored. Animal cruelty, especially dog-fighting, should carry MUCH harsher sentences and enforcement. These are the only measures that are going to solve the problem. Everyone's breeding pit bulls these days and only tough regulation will make it unprofitable and undesirable for backyard breeders to continue and for criminal elements to want to own and fight these dogs.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:27 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,419,666 times
I dont know of an area that does not require a dog to be licensed texdav. Not only that but ifyou put strict licensing on a "Pitbull Type" dog, do people not think that its easy to make a Lab, Shepeard or ANY other breed out there dangerous ? Singleing out a breed is rediculous and works as great as prohibition did.
How can Pit Types be the issues when Holland who had a ban for years revoked it because it made NO differenec. Animal control in UK said banning of Pits made NO differenec. So, animals are not the issue ? What is the issue? People!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:41 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,200,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I dont know of an area that does not require a dog to be licensed texdav. Not only that but ifyou put strict licensing on a "Pitbull Type" dog, do people not think that its easy to make a Lab, Shepeard or ANY other breed out there dangerous ? Singleing out a breed is rediculous and works as great as prohibition did.
How can Pit Types be the issues when Holland who had a ban for years revoked it because it made NO differenec. Animal control in UK said banning of Pits made NO differenec. So, animals are not the issue ? What is the issue? People!
Every breed has its distinctive characteristics in terms of physical appearance AND personality. Sure, I could try to train my dogs to be attack animals, but it wouldn't work. And with my lab mixes, they don't seem to have the terrier stubborness to stay in an angry fighting mode. It's very easy to distract them and get them calm. Then there are my little terrier and poodle mixes. But if they get mad enough to bite, their teeth don't do any real damage.

So the problem is that a bad dog owner with most other breeds of dogs is no big deal, but if a bad dog owner (sloppy about discipline and being its alpha, or training it to fight), well that's a real and bigger problem in the making. Pit bulls have the teeth, strong jaw muscles, body muscles and stubborn temperament to make them a serious threat to any human or creature they take a dislike to. Pits seem to have a very high tolerance for pain compared to other dog breeds So there are many good and valid reasons for pit bulls being the current dog fighting breed of choice, not labs, not German shepherds. And they are both readily available and inexpensive dogs to purchase.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:57 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,853,184 times
Lightbulb don't bad dogs just ban ignorant owners.

Trying to get around a pit bull ban by calling your dog some other breed is not a healthy practice for society. What happens is that the new breed or breeds will now become the target of the communities which pushes for and supports these types of bans. Just like book burning it just never stops until the real issue has been resolved.
I don't own a pit but had a beautiful pit live next-door, he was a loving kind dog and we had the best friendship. His owner constantly allowed him to roam free "I just can't keep him in the yard" was the excuse. His dog was accused of killing another dog on a different street. So he just put his dog down. Needless to say it wasn’t his dog that did but another dog that looked like his.
Pit Bull owner or owners of any vicious dog should under go ownership college for a license to own. To many vicious breed owners do train their dogs to be on the attack either on purpose or due to neglect. Too much false information about how to handle a vicious dog is considered legitimate. I live in a area where pits are highly popular. Yet most vicious pit owners are not on the right side of the law.
Don’t blame the dog blame the owner but since they can’t single out the owners ( most owners don’t see that they are doing wrong) then society will go after the easier target. The dog. Sad but true. Can’t legislate knowledge….. Or can they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs