Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:13 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times

Advertisements

How old is your puppy? How long do you leave him? It sounds like he just can hold it.

I can't give any advice as to paper training as I didn't do that with my dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 04:20 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
This is the same problem that breeders have when a dog has lived in a kennel all their young lives. Then when the dog is older looking for a new home...they are hard to house train.
You NEED to house train him then use the kennel to keep him safe for long peroids. And yes house traing can be paper training. Meaning you train the same way but take to an area where you want him to go ON Paper. Katie my service dog is papertrained.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:14 PM

104 posts, read 637,256 times
Where I am coonfused is, he seems to have it down well in terms of peeing on the paper if I am gone for a few hours. He will go straight to the paper and pee, pee, pee a river. But he will NOT poop there. He will find a totally different spot on the opposite end, in the middle of the pen, etc, etc. So he will step in it and I come home to a sh**-foot pup! Aren't dogs supposed to pee/poop where they smell the scent of their waste?? Do some dogs just feel like they need to poop in one spot and pee in another? I've had three dogs and I've never seen this behavior in a paper trained dog. From what I've seen, if they pee on the paper they will poop on it too. (??)

Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 PM

My guess is that once he pees its too wet to return to. Try a litterbox..they make them for dogs tooo.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:06 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,183 times
Katie1, good advice. My Mom had to use this method when she worked and there was minimal training, albeit a few mishaps. Another friend of mine simply had a doggy door installed (fenced backyard). Trained her pup in a weekend with many healthy treats awaiting on both sides of the door. I can certainly appreciate having to leave the pup to go to work; I was fortunate and got permission to bring mine to work. Doesn't cost anything to ask, if in fact the work environment would be conducive. In fact, a lot of office environments, mostly small businesses, have a "bring your dog to work day".

Old 01-28-2009, 11:19 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3593 View Post
Where I am coonfused is, he seems to have it down well in terms of peeing on the paper if I am gone for a few hours. He will go straight to the paper and pee, pee, pee a river. But he will NOT poop there. He will find a totally different spot on the opposite end, in the middle of the pen, etc, etc. So he will step in it and I come home to a sh**-foot pup! Aren't dogs supposed to pee/poop where they smell the scent of their waste?? Do some dogs just feel like they need to poop in one spot and pee in another? I've had three dogs and I've never seen this behavior in a paper trained dog. From what I've seen, if they pee on the paper they will poop on it too. (??)
CoCo our pom when outside (She is almost housebroken) pees in one area right away and then takes forever to find just the right place to poop way on the other side. Our other three do both in the same area.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
This is the same problem that breeders have when a dog has lived in a kennel all their young lives. Then when the dog is older looking for a new home...they are hard to house train.
You NEED to house train him then use the kennel to keep him safe for long peroids. And yes house traing can be paper training. Meaning you train the same way but take to an area where you want him to go ON Paper. Katie my service dog is papertrained.
When we got our Papillion the breeder had trained them all to go in the crate that was inside the pen. I had a heck of a time getting a crate that was really different then the one she had and BTW that was our crate that she told me to bring so Amy's scent was in it. Her scent and the others sure were in it. We finally after getting two other crates finally got a black metal one. That did the Job.

We got CoCo the same kind and it came with a divider since it is way to big for her and the bigger the crate the more accidents are bound to happen.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:44 PM

Lorriem...Am I misunderstanding?? The Breeder Trained you pup to Go Potty inside of a crate??
IF yes....Did this Crate have a removable plactic or metal tray?
Since Katie is a long backed Corgi I purchased a wire crate & use only the tray with papers on it for her potty!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Lorriem...Am I misunderstanding?? The Breeder Trained you pup to Go Potty inside of a crate??
IF yes....Did this Crate have a removable plactic or metal tray?
Since Katie is a long backed Corgi I purchased a wire crate & use only the tray with papers on it for her potty!
Yep and I shouldn't say trained she just let them go and do whatever in the crate I took there. The plastic crate was all in one just like I got for my other dogs. To clean it you got on your knees and scrubed the poop and then cleanned it. I was so mad.
The only dog that we have now that uses that type of crate is our mini schnauzwer. She loves it.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:17 PM

Thats Not a breeder thats a Lazy puppy mill person grrrr.
Did your pup get trained the right way? Sometimes pups raised like that Never understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs