Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:57 AM

104 posts, read 637,256 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My pup will pee on the paper in his kennel, but doesnt want to poop on it. He MUST poop as far away from the paper as possible. Its strange to me. The problem is that because of this, he may step in his poop as he runs around his space because the poop is not on the paper, over in the corner out of the way. Has anyone else come across this? Any suggestions? I dont think he's grossed out by a nasty "bathroom" as I keep fresh paper laid at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 11:29 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
How big is the kennel? Why is your dog using his kennel as a place to go to the bathroom?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:07 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
I had a Min Pin that Pooped on the paper ...then run thru the apt peeing everywhere But the paper!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:39 PM

His Kennel is about 8 feet by 8 feet. My pup is a mix of two toy breeds so this is huge for him. But when I leave I cannot lethim to roam the house and get into things. He has a small area for his bathroom in the corner. I hope this clarifies.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:42 PM

200 posts, read 979,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
How big is the kennel? Why is your dog using his kennel as a place to go to the bathroom?
My thoughts exactly, why is your dog using his kennel as a bathroom?

The kennel should be his safe haven, his home, you don't lock a dog in there for 4 hours plus, let alone a puppy for longer than 2 hours.

Mentally healthy puppies don't like to soil on themselves, they like to keep themselves clean(this does not account for mud, rain etc...) from feces. He is going in the corner, so it can be as far away from him as possible, but if you leave him in there for too long of a time, he needs to move around doesn't he.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:20 PM

275 posts, read 469,905 times
for how many hours is he in the kennel? i dont think a puppy is going to know to poop/pee on the paper. depending on how many hours he is left if you have to work, he most likely cannot hold it. do you make sure he poops before you put him in the kennel? i know puppies have to go a lot, so this may not always help. is there anyway if you have to work, you could run home on your lunch break to let him out.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:53 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keliko View Post
My thoughts exactly, why is your dog using his kennel as a bathroom?

The kennel should be his safe haven, his home, you don't lock a dog in there for 4 hours plus, let alone a puppy for longer than 2 hours.

Mentally healthy puppies don't like to soil on themselves, they like to keep themselves clean(this does not account for mud, rain etc...) from feces. He is going in the corner, so it can be as far away from him as possible, but if you leave him in there for too long of a time, he needs to move around doesn't he.
Exactly!

Old 01-27-2009, 02:04 PM

8 ft x 8 ft IS not a crate! He is not getting the right message here! Is this a big exercise pen?
Is it inside or outside? I am Confused!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:14 PM

It is his kennel/exercise pen. I never said it was a crate. (?) Where he is while we are away during the day. It is indoors. I felt it was better to keep an untrained puppy confined to a certain area of the house if he is alone instead of roaming the whole house. I do have to leave the house to make a living to keep my pup, so please no condemnation for leaving him alone as I have no other option now. Just needing feedback as to how to help him with his poop problem.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM

No one said a word about you leaving him alone!
But you cant expect him to understand house training in a Kennel! And weather this is inside or outside it IS a Kennel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs