Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:16 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasape View Post
Agree.
I think the dogs that tend to bark the most are terriers and the least are sighthounds, but it's just a generalization.
It's probably a fair generalization, though. I also think that dogs that have strong watch-dog/protective instincts are often big barkers. Like...German Shepherds. It's their nature to be watchful of their territory and to sound the alarm. Certain herding breeds, too, are very barky. (Like Shelties. Shelties are BIG barkers...or little yappers, as the case may be.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 12:34 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Lots of people don't understand that the Pit Bull breed is broken down into a couple of "divisions". There is the American Pit Bull Terrier, The Blue Nose Terrier and the Staffordshire Terrier. The American Pit Bull Terrier is not quite so muscled up and fierce looking. The Blue Nose actually has a pink nose and is a tad more fierce looking and the Staffordshire has the shovel shaped head. I have done TONS of research on the Pit Bull which is why I am such an advocate. You are correct, perfect dog to take into your sunset years. I am 61 myself, have just recooperated from open heart surgery and my little pit was partially responsible for my quick recovery. She spent a great amount of time cuddling with me, walking with me and just being my friend. I love her to death. Good luck with your Pit!!
Perhaps were given misinforming in your research. I'd be happy to look at your sources. There is no such things a "The Blue Nose Terrier". Blue nose is not pink, it is blue or gray, hence why it is called blue and it is nothing but color not division. Pink nose is refered to as a dudley nose and it doesnt have pigment, why it is pink. Blue is a dilution of black, recessive gene causing the pigment that would normally be black to have blue/gray such as the nose, eye lids and around the lips. Just as a red nose would cause the pigment that would be black to be red or liver instead. Pit Bulls would include. The American Pit Bull Terrier which is typicaly a medium sized breed, lean and muscular, square, athletic, willing to please, versatile, loving towards people and great with family, especially children. If they lack muscle tone there could be a few reasons, one is genetics which plays a role in the amount of natural tone and ability to tone up, then exercise or lack their of and diet possibly over feeding which isn't good for any breed or just the diet they are eating in general (sometimes different foods lead to better muscle or softer muscle). The American Staffordshire Terrier is the name under which the APBT was called by the AKC. First it was Staffordshire Terrier and changed in 1972 to American Staffordshire Terrier. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier which is typically a shorter breed, maybe a little stockier, some still look closer to APBT or the original staffs. The temperament is similar to the APBT/AST and called "nanny dogs" in the UK and would even be transported after a fight with the baby back in the old days. There are variance within any of these breeds depending on the bloodline difference in size, build, personality traits. There are also times in which one or the other has been bred back together. There is no such breed as The Blue Nose Terrier and there are two with the words Staffordshire Terrier in the name. There are Blue Laceys which are a small terrier type breed not considered to be a Pit Bull. There were also Blue Paul Terriers which are thought to possibly have gone into the creation of Pit Bulls along with Black and Tan Terrier and English White Terrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Unless someone owns a Pit Bull that hasn't been trained to fight they just don't get it, do they? One of the descriptions given in the book I got on Pits is that they are "eerily quiet" and that is so true. My husband's cousin raises them and has small kids around them all the time. Never has been an issue. Love your pit and they will give you nothing but love and devotion back!
"Eerily quiet" is certainly a good description fighting almost in silence or with little sound is something totally different from what people imagine from a fighting dog, they'd expect to hear snarling, growling, snapping instead. They expect to see this same behavior from pet Pit Bulls. If only more could see the loving nature of them. I've had some dogs bred or used for fighting, some of the best most loving dogs one could meet, true love of life and children. I will say with the exception of one, she was always scared of new people, really shy. She was very mistreated though, beaten a lot. I think people should be able to appreciate the APBT without fighting, they are such a versatile breed with so much to offer (besides just being a non barky breed of course). I was so glad the Vick dogs were given the chance they deserved and to see Leo doing therapy work. These dogs need as many advocates as possible.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:36 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I have 4 GSDs in my neighborhood, and all 4 of them have the biggest %@$#!*^ mouths I've ever heard on a dog. They never stop. The one across the street still barks her a$$ off at me every time I venture out my front door, and I've lived here since the summer of '04. The neighborhood I moved from also featured a GSD like this across the street from me.

The two next door are loud, annoying and bark at everything. So was the one that preceded them, the one the owners took to the County kill shelter when she killed one of their hens.

Is this a GSD thing? Due to these 5 dogs, GSDs aren't exactly on my hit parade at the moment. Am I wrong?
Partially due to their breed, being alert. They'd bark as a watchdog or warning. Another part could be because they are bored. If they are alone most the time without exercise and mental stimulation some GSDs can get very bored and resort to constant barking or barking at every little thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs