Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:57 PM
c99 c99 started this thread

237 posts, read 1,042,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
folks, animal aggression does NOT always equal human aggression!! no, I see NO reason for this dog to be put to sleep. a lot of dogs are not good around other dogs, especially around smaller dogs. there a ton of dogs and dog breeds w/ a high prey drive that will attack smaller dogs. again, it's no reason to PTS a dog, just need to either get it trained better or keep it on a leash at all times around another dog. there's no reason to assume DA would escalate to (the somewhat unrelated) HA

it's a sad situation. I dislike dog parks in general, and I especially wouldn't bring a small dog/puppy to a park where larger, unknown dogs were running around. even if there's no aggression involved, a large rambunctious dog can really hurt a small dog
It was more of a question regarding escalating to attacking a human... I wasn't sure if it may be a concern or not.

As a dog owner, I'd be concerned about liability after my dog killed another dog. I would think that would open me up to lawsuits if it happened again, especially if it happened outside of the dog park. I wonder what that would do to one's homeowner's insurance rates?

I am not a huge fan of dog parks either, but where else can one take their dog to play a good game of Frisbee or fetch? The beach, maybe?

Old 03-10-2009, 02:17 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,398 times
An additional problem is when there are sections for small dogs as well as large dogs, and the people decide to take their dog into one section or the other without taking into account the posted size guidelines.

For instance, at our dog parks the small dog section is reserved for dogs under 20 pounds. But, what do you do if you have two dogs - one that is small and under 20 pounds, and the other who is larger? You aren't supposed to leave your dog in the fenced in area if you aren't in there with it. So do you bring your bigger dog in the small dog area, or bring your little dog into the big dog area?

My beagle mix is 35 pounds. That makes him too big for the little dog area... yet sometimes I take him in there if the dogs in the big dog area are so much bigger. I have to make a judgment call based on the crowd on any given day. And I keep a close watch on him at all times to make sure he doesn't play too hard with any of the smaller dogs.

I'm not sure what the solution is!

At any rate, I do feel bad for the dog owners in the posted news story. Just awful...

Old 03-10-2009, 02:40 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Default Pit Bull Attacks Kills Puppy at dog Park

I often wonder when dog attacks happen which I am sure they do often, that the only time they make news is when it is a pit? I am not defending this incident I am defending the fact that it is always news when it is a pit. I am a pit owner and before we started taking her places with us, which by the way does not include a dog park of any kind, we did our research on pits in general. A lot of people do not understand that Pits are fond of chasing and killing small game. Sometimes they will kill it deliberately and sometimes they don't mean to. Ours likes to chase birds and squirrels. So far the birds and squirrels have won out but I have to say our pit is fast as hell. Not only is our pit fast, but she is one big muscle from her neck to her hind quarters. Although not a LARGE dog, she is extremely strong.

Yes I would make full restitution for the dog lost in this case and be beside my self with grief. I don't like to see anything get killed including my pit if she were to do something like this.

Regarding the statement "oh it could have been a kid"...Pits LOVE kids and don't consider them small prey. This was yet another scary test for pit when we got her. Friends of ours have two small kids who although around Minature Dobies all the time, have never been near a pit. I had our pit on a leash at some distance from the kids. I walked her up to the kids fearing she would jump on them. The kids sat on the lawn and our pit went over and sat between them then laid on the little girls lap. I was supervising the whole time and they ended up playing together.

So I suggest before there are any further posts on here regarding these vicious pit attacks that people do their homework. I have a nephew with a scar that runs from his forehead to his chin where a Shepherd ripped half his face off, I had a black lab hook on to my ankle and I had to kick him off...ALL dogs can flip out and do, not just pits.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:37 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
........ There is no way that one can predict the behavior of other people's dogs, especially pit bulls. That's how I see it, anyway.
This is unwarranted. APBTs are as predictable as any other dog, which is to say, not much. I don't see you criticizing the lab who suddenly runs away b/c "oh he never does that," or the JRT who bites and "oh he's never done that before."

I don't take my 3 dogs to dog parks any more b/c I can't watch all 3. I had 2 somewhat sedate dogs that I did take and watch with no trouble. But not 3 and not one I can't handle.

APBTs are some of the sweetest dogs around. Mine absolutely loves anyone he's ever met. Although I wouldn't trust him not to attack an intruder, but that's what I want him to do!

Old 03-10-2009, 04:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
This is unwarranted. APBTs are as predictable as any other dog, which is to say, not much. I don't see you criticizing the lab who suddenly runs away b/c "oh he never does that," or the JRT who bites and "oh he's never done that before."

I don't take my 3 dogs to dog parks any more b/c I can't watch all 3. I had 2 somewhat sedate dogs that I did take and watch with no trouble. But not 3 and not one I can't handle.

APBTs are some of the sweetest dogs around. Mine absolutely loves anyone he's ever met. Although I wouldn't trust him not to attack an intruder, but that's what I want him to do!
Agreed. The title of this thread is just asking for flames. Maybe it should have read 'Large Dog attacks, kills puppy at dog park' instead of Pit Bull attacks. Aren't Chow Chows supposed to be as dangerous, if not more than pit bulls, and I don't believe I've ever see a headline that read 'Chow Chow attacks child'. Regardless, the owners weren't exactly smart if they brought their teeny tiny little puppy into a dog park with bigger dogs. Our pit is only 37lbs and we wouldn't even let her go in a dog park.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:55 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
I'm not going to read the story! But the more I know, the less I like dog parks. I would not go to one without a big stick and some pepper spray. Too many things can happen.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:06 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Agreed. The title of this thread is just asking for flames. Maybe it should have read 'Large Dog attacks, kills puppy at dog park' instead of Pit Bull attacks. Aren't Chow Chows supposed to be as dangerous, if not more than pit bulls, and I don't believe I've ever see a headline that read 'Chow Chow attacks child'. Regardless, the owners weren't exactly smart if they brought their teeny tiny little puppy into a dog park with bigger dogs. Our pit is only 37lbs and we wouldn't even let her go in a dog park.
2 week old killed by family dog

Old 03-10-2009, 05:10 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c99 View Post
Pit bull attacks, kills puppy at dog park (http://www.charleston.net/news/2009/mar/10/pit_bull_attacks_kills_puppy_at_dog_park74426/ - broken link)

I am posting this article, not to spark controversy, but rather as yet another warning about dog parks. As an aside I am NOT an advocate of BSL, but belive that only spayed/neutered dogs should be allowed into dog parks; maybe even only one dog per handler, too, not that it would have prevented the attack in this case. I imagine since the dog was adopted from the SPCA that she was spayed.

One of the things that gets me is one of the last lines in the article:
"...apologized and promised to get Rocket socialized and trained."

I (imagine) that I'd be saying a lot more than that if my dog killed another dog, though the perpetrator's owners did say that they "feel terrible about the whole thing." I'd be apologizing profusely and would offer to purchase the victim's owner a new dog. It would be the right thing to do, imo.

I definitely agree with, "We don't believe in bad dogs," she said. "We just believe in bad owners."

Such a sad story all the way around.

If your dog killed another dog, would you keep it or humanely get it euthanized? I've never been in this situation before and would be scared out of my pants if I was. I guess my fear would be if an attack would happen again, would it escalate to a child? ... so difficult to know what to do.
How heartbreaking! All dogs involved should have been on a leash. I know people like to let their dogs run and play but it is just too risky. I feel so bad for this poor little pup and for its owners. I love Pits, have owned them but due to some being very aggressive you do have to watch them closely. If it had been in a State where they are banned they would have immediately put them to sleep and fined the owners. I don't believe in banning any breed (just some owners). As I said this is so sad. I don't like dog parks for this very reason. The ones that require a leash, there are too many people who thinks it doesn't apply to their dogs.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:24 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Okay let us face it dog parks are an invitation to disaster it only takes a minute for something to happen . Now that this dog has killed a puppy there is no ? in my mind that this owner needs to put the pitt down it has the taste of blood now and should be euthanized .I believe that all dogs that attack and kill should be euthanized not just this breed . I detest dog parks and I know several vets that dislike them as well because they are breeding grounds for worms,intestinal parasites , fleas you name it and it only takes a second for your dog to become sick or infected with something left behind by another dog . There are several reasons you should not take dogs to a dog park and I have only listed a few . sorry if i upset anyone but I also know that if you have a powerfull dog you must take extra precaution with it . As i became an adult I told myself that if ever a dog bit me and drew blood the first bite was given the second no taken to the vet and put down . Never , ever trust a dog again that has killed another living thing , they are a ticking time bomb and the next victim might be a small child or a baby .

Old 03-10-2009, 05:24 PM

315 posts, read 1,091,758 times
dog parks are only as successful as the owners who go there. i've taken my two to the dog park for over a year and i try and go when i know the specific owners that are going to be there. everyone is quick to warn newcomers about the general rules and to let them know if their dogs don't belong there. our park even has a time out section and that works great.

with that said, when there is a group of dogs, and dog can get caught up in the pack mentality. it is what's inbred in all of them. if a small dog is perceived as prey, all the dogs are going to join in the frey. it's what they do. people need to be constantly on their toes, and watch their dogs and read the signals. even with that there is always the chance of a mishap. i'm starting to take mine less and less and instead i spend that time walking them and playing with them in my back yard. i think they enjoy that even more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs