Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:42 AM

218 posts, read 755,934 times

Advertisements

I must be in the wrong thread. I thought this was about Biden (him being influential public figure, hence the issue-discussion??? Oh well, it was good to vent anyways!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 10:43 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
The problem is it gets very old with "rescuers" trying to shove their ideas down everyones throat. I am not against rescuing...done it...have a few myself...but I also have the right to go elsewhere if I so choose. I have donated more money and time then I care to even think about to various rescue org. But , if I choose to go to a rep. breeder for my next dog or cat...I will. JMO
exactly! why is it so horrible to try to seek out the healthiest dog possible for your family? why is it so wrong for people to do the research and seek out the best dog for their family? people who go to reputable breeders are crucified by "rescue nuts" for trying to get the best dog for their family

Old 04-11-2009, 10:43 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
That's not what I said. It's a FACT that this country has serious problems with over population. Anyone that decides to buy a dog from a breeder even though they have no plans for it and allow others to be euthanized is quite honestly a self centered person. How can you possibly disagree with that? If you're looking for a pure bred dog that you don't plan on doing a thing with, why in the world would you buy one when there are others dying?
Seems to me that's exactly what you said.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:45 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,170,962 times
agreed!
Seems the Biggest problem going on right now within this thread is that some people "say" they don't care what others do. Yet that keep harping on how irresponsible it is for pet owners to make their own decisions.
When I adopt or buy a pet ,I do so knowing it will be a member of my family for a very loNng time. I'm responsible for every single issue;it's food,medical care,training,love-everything.
Now if any of you on here want to chip in and help pay for the care of My animal(s), let me know and you can then tell me what to do and I'll provide my address as to where to forward the money.
FYI-I've adopted from shelters, rescued strays and purchased from individuals. My choice-my $$$. Same with anyone else.
Mind your own business should be the mantra of the day-every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
The problem is it gets very old with "rescuers" trying to shove their ideas down everyones throat. I am not against rescuing...done it...have a few myself...but I also have the right to go elsewhere if I so choose. I have donated more money and time then I care to even think about to various rescue org. But , if I choose to go to a rep. breeder for my next dog or cat...I will. JMO

Old 04-11-2009, 10:46 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,702,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Exactly. I have done both also. For different reasons. I have no problem with either one. The one that is bad is buying from pet stores but I would never harass someone who made this choice. They usually end up having enough problems anyway.
I wouldn't buy from a pet store either but my brother arrived home about 12 years ago with a chocolate lab puppy for our whole family after the unexpected loss of a Doberman puppy. He bought her from a pet store at the mall for way way to much moneybut he still has her and she is old grey and creeky but she has given back every cent and more of the love that he spent on her. My mom has a new Doberman and "Java" probably is a gem. So in a way my brother rescued her from a pet store "shelter"

Old 04-11-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I wouldn't buy from a pet store either but my brother arrived home about 12 years ago with a chocolate lab puppy for our whole family after the unexpected loss of a Doberman puppy. He bought her from a pet store at the mall for way way to much moneybut he still has her and she is old grey and creeky but she has given back every cent and more of the love that he spent on her. My mom has a new Doberman and "Java" probably is a gem. So in a way my brother rescued her from a pet store "shelter"
So glad that worked out for them. I have a friend whose daughter (just naive) bought a chi from a pet store - had health problems from the get-go - after thousands in vet bills over a couple of years, they had to have her put down due to temperment issues. They just recently got a shelter dog (rescued from a "collector") who has been just wonderful for them.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:54 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Seems to me that's exactly what you said.
We're not going to agree. And I won't continue to argue over it. It'll be a waste of time. It's my opinion and I don't understand how anyone can disagree with facts. I mean, if the statement wasn't based on fact than I could understand arguing over it. That's like someone saying the Earth is round and a debate popping up over it. It's round. Doesn't matter what shape you'd like it to be. Doesn't matter that you don't believe it. There is irrefutable proof on both counts. So, if you know that bringing more pets into the world instead of homing the ones we already have will only continue to make the problem worse and you still choose to purchase one, how in the world can you think that doesn't make someone self centered? I mean, what they want is more important than the lives of the homeless dogs? Isn't that kind of the definition of being self centered??

Quote:
self centered - 1 result
self-cen⋅tered   /ˈsɛlfˈsɛntərd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [self-sen-terd] Show IPA
–adjective 1. concerned solely or chiefly with one's own interests, welfare, etc.; engrossed in self; selfish; egotistical.
2. independent, self-sufficient.
3. centered in oneself or itself.
4. Archaic. fixed; unchanging.

Also, especially British, self-centred.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
That's not what I said. It's a FACT that this country has serious problems with over population. Anyone that decides to buy a dog from a breeder even though they have no plans for it and allow others to be euthanized is quite honestly a self centered person. How can you possibly disagree with that? If you're looking for a pure bred dog that you don't plan on doing a thing with, why in the world would you buy one when there are others dying?
well, that's pure, judgmental BS!

did you know there are breeds out there where there are more dogs being bred by reputable breeders than there are being PTS in shelters? there are a lot of breeds that aren't that widespread yet. so if someone hs their heart set on that breed and can't find one in a rescue, is that person "selfish" for going to a reputable breeder?

we can't save all the homeless dogs out there in the world, that is a fact. there's only so much anyone here can do. the way to tackle the pet overpopulation problem is to take it on at its source, to restrict and regulate BYBs and puppymills, to educate owners on neutering, pet health, and the importance of socializing, to enforce laws already in place to make sure neglected and abused pets aren't being dumped in shelters. the best way to tackle this problem is NOT by criticizing those that did their homework and decided instead to go to a reputable breeder. you have no proof that most of these people would have adopted from a shelter anyways. someone who wants a Dandie Dinmont terrier, has done a ton of research and decided that this is the breed for them, and doesn't go to a breeder isn't just going to change their mind and adopt a pit/lab mix from a shelter instead

Old 04-11-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
We're not going to agree. And I won't continue to argue over it. It'll be a waste of time. It's my opinion and I don't understand how anyone can disagree with facts. I mean, if the statement wasn't based on fact than I could understand arguing over it. That's like someone saying the Earth is round and a debate popping up over it. It's round. Doesn't matter what shape you'd like it to be. Doesn't matter that you don't believe it. There is irrefutable proof on both counts. So, if you know that bringing more pets into the world instead of homing the ones we already have will only continue to make the problem worse and you still choose to purchase one, how in the world can you think that doesn't make someone self centered? I mean, what they want is more important than the lives of the homeless dogs? Isn't that kind of the definition of being self centered??
The thing is, that there are lots of things in this world that one person or another finds "selfish" or wrong. I hope you don't own a car, have more than one child, are a vegan, recycle absolutely everything and better yet are a "freegan" because there are facts to support all of these also. ....

Old 04-11-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
so it's self centered for someone to try to get the best dog for their family?

hey, let's all just convince people right now to go out and adopt a pit bull! no matter if a pit isn't the right breed for you, you'll be saving the world if you adopt! b/c apparently, if you want a breed that better suits you and your family, especially your family's best "interests" and "welfare", you're a selfish, horrible, self centered person!

I suppose one could make the argument that whenever one picks a particular breed, they are being self centered b/c they have their own best interests and welfare in mind. but how is it in any pet's best interest for me to adopt it w/o considering what's in MY best interest first? i would highly doubt I would ever adopt a border collie or JRT b/c I don't want one and owning one is not in my best "interests" or "welfare"; I guess that makes me self centered going by the definition you provided . that's how bad breed choices are made, when people don't consider all options. a lot of people adopt a dog thinking they're saving a life, only to later learn the dog wasn't suitable for them, that, b/c they didn't consider their own "interests" and "welfare", the pet suffers and ends up being returned.

selfishness is all relative. everyone here wants to do what makes them happy. again, if someone does there homework and getting a dog from a reputable breeder makes them happy, I see nothing wrong w/ that. but I guess that would make them self centered and selfish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs