Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:56 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times

Advertisements

Sometimes surgery causes a seroma, which is a build-up of fluid (blood plasma) under the skin. They are usually adjacent to the surgical site. Some vets attribute their formation to too much activity too soon after surgery. It sounds as if your dog had some fairly extensive work done, which could certainly have caused some tissue damage and tiny ruptured blood vessels that could cause a seroma. The fluid is gradually absorbed back into the body, but large ones in bad places may require draining. One of my dogs recently had a lymph node under his jaw removed for diagnostic purposes and he developed a seroma near the incision. It gradually subsided with no problems. Call the vet on Monday AM and see what he says. if the dog is acting normally and the surrounding area doesn't become hot and inflamed, then I see no reason to see an emergeny vet. Until Monday, keep the dog quiet and try not to worry. A seroma is not an abscess and doesn't indicate infection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 11:15 PM

369 posts, read 2,165,473 times
we brought him to the ER. The vet said it's just fluid and not an infection. I'm glad we brought him in for peace of mind. He gave us anti-biotic just incase, and an anti imflamatory.... We payed 550 for the neuter even though they quoted us 250 max.. they claimed it was much more extensive than they thought it would be. an additional 150$ at the ER really stung today.. I just hope everything is okay..

I'll keep you guys posted..

Old 05-10-2009, 02:10 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
So glad to hear it's not too serioys! You're a good pet-father.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:10 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Vet prices can be so outlandish but I do know that type surgery is more involved (and more $$), bummer. I probably would have done the same thing you did and have gone to the ER, rather than wait til the weekend passed. Glad to hear he's on the mend and will be back to normal soon, looking forward to seeing more pictures then ;-)

Old 05-10-2009, 08:42 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
we brought him to the ER. The vet said it's just fluid and not an infection. I'm glad we brought him in for peace of mind. He gave us anti-biotic just incase, and an anti imflamatory.... We payed 550 for the neuter even though they quoted us 250 max.. they claimed it was much more extensive than they thought it would be. an additional 150$ at the ER really stung today.. I just hope everything is okay..

I'll keep you guys posted..
You might want to hold off on giving him either drug until you talk to your regular vet. I don't like to give animals pills unnecessarily.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:56 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
550 is outlandish for the neuter of a dog. That is highway robbery. Mine was 60 and he had a perfect little surgery. That was at Valu-Vet here in Florida. They did a great job. They even gave me a tiny E collar for him.
The most I ever paid for a male neuter surgery was 125 and that was at a top, highly rated Animal Hospital back in N.J. That is crazy what they charged you.
Glad to here your little guy is ok!

Old 05-10-2009, 11:23 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,134,001 times
It may have been extra $$$, but take it from one who got to the emergency vet too late, it was worth the money to make sure he was ok. Glad you did it. Hope it's smooth sailing now for you.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:51 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,748 times
Tell me please, just what is this owner waiting for? I could but won't say anymore!

Old 05-10-2009, 03:09 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1945 View Post
Tell me please, just what is this owner waiting for? I could but won't say anymore!
You may want to read the other posts, Suzanne. He took the dog to the vet. It was a seroma, nothing to be too concerned about.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:16 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,554 times
I would seriously change Vets because he/she is robbing you blind. There is nno excuse for that. Even for a more extensive neuter...just rediculous. Good luck and hope he heals up nicely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs