Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,454,356 times

Advertisements

Jim280,

Wow! I'm glad you boy is okay! Yes, vets in the Northeast and California charge insane amounts. I've heard that Southern vets are less expensive!

W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 03:22 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
we brought him to the ER. The vet said it's just fluid and not an infection. I'm glad we brought him in for peace of mind. He gave us anti-biotic just incase, and an anti imflamatory.... We payed 550 for the neuter even though they quoted us 250 max.. they claimed it was much more extensive than they thought it would be. an additional 150$ at the ER really stung today.. I just hope everything is okay..

I'll keep you guys posted..
Next time go to the Humane society and have him neutered there. We paid $ 75.- for our English (full breed) Bulldog and our other full breed small dog. We were quoted almost $ 400.- at the pet hospital and I thought it is ridiculous and both our dogs had no complications. Be smart and check around and don't go by the most expensive are always the best places to go. At the pet hospital they charge $ 40.- just for the dog examination when your dog needs shots. If you have a puppy and have to come every few weeks they charge you the same amount every time and than on top they charge you the shots and other b.s.
I'm from Europe and the vets are doing the examinations for fre when you come for the shots and that way you go easier back...it is part of their job and what is there to examine for a healthy puppy every 4 weeks?

Our dogs all died at an old age. One at the age of 15 and the other at the age of 10. I have seen that in the USA there is a lot of money to be made by a vet and a lot of people pay whatever they are told just out of the love of their pet and don't do some research for cheaper options which are just as good.

I'm happy your dog is okay!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:13 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,664,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
My little buddy went through the same surgery as the OP's pet for a neuter in March this year, six days later he was attacked by a coyote in our back yard, he still had the staples in his little belly from the surgery when he was attacked. He was ripped open on bith sides, he had muscle tissue hanging out and I put it back in and wrapped him in a towel to hold it in on the way to the vets.

I thought for sure he would die but the vet saved him. After surgery he stayed at the vets for three days, they were concerned about infection from the animal bite. When he was released he was sent home with a 2 week supply of 2 different antibiotics and a 2 week supply of pain meds. His total bill was $584.00 for everything.

Some of these vets just flat out over charge people big time, I've had vets in the past that try to talk over your head and make simple surgery sound like brain surgery so they can clean your clock when you get the bill. Here are some pics of his surgery after the attack.

OMG! Was he loose or fenced? Better be careful and watch the dog when he is out! That is horrible, poor little guy.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:20 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
OUCH I am glad Both dogs are ok!
I also feel the more folks are encouraged to S/N the Higher the Vets go in prices Rediculous! Male dogs that had to have adominal surgery to find & remove testicals should be billed [owners lol] any more than a female the same weight, etc! But vets now adays seem to care with their pockets instead of their hearts grrrrrr

Old 05-13-2009, 08:17 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,496,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Jim280,

Wow! I'm glad you boy is okay! Yes, vets in the Northeast and California charge insane amounts. I've heard that Southern vets are less expensive!

W.
Thanks Woof, he's recovered and doing fine now, his biggest problem now he is spoiled...lol.. we have some vets here in the south with insane prices as well. I think some of these guys are looking at retirement after a couple years in business with the prices they charge.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
OMG! Was he loose or fenced? Better be careful and watch the dog when he is out! That is horrible, poor little guy.
I was in the yard with him when he got attacked, he never gets outdoors alone. The coyote came from out of nowhere and got him, it happened about 30 feet or so from me. If I hadn't been there with him the coyote would have killed him for sure, almost did anyway. He's recovered and doing fine now, but I expect he may have future problems from all he went through.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I was in the yard with him when he got attacked, he never gets outdoors alone. The coyote came from out of nowhere and got him, it happened about 30 feet or so from me. If I hadn't been there with him the coyote would have killed him for sure, almost did anyway. He's recovered and doing fine now, but I expect he may have future problems from all he went through.
What time of day was it? What was the coyote doing in your yard?

I though coyotes attacked around the neck and mouth. How did he get your boy on one and then the other side of the abdomen? How did you chase the coyote away?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
What time of day was it? What was the coyote doing in your yard?

I though coyotes attacked around the neck and mouth. How did he get your boy on one and then the other side of the abdomen? How did you chase the coyote away?
It happened around 7:30 PM just before dark, I have woods about a hundred yards behind my house which joins a farm and my yard is not fenced. Coyotes have been spotted on several of the cattle farms in the area this year. Coyotes usually do go for the throat area with larger animals but my little guy is only 12 lbs. He looks bigger in the pics I posted than what he really is, he's a little guy.

The coyote clamped his mouth across his back and its top teeth went in one side and the bottom teeth in the other side and just ripped him good. If you look close at the pics you can see puncture wounds in his side by the surgery incision, those holes are from the teeth. Also you can see teeth marks on his back where the teeth just grazed him. My dog was behind me when this happened, I was picking up tree branches from a storm that came through earlier. My dog let out yelp and I looked behind me and saw what was happening and ran to my dog and the coyote ran off.

I took my 30-30 the next day and went coyote hunting in the woods, he was long gone by then. It was the end of mating season for coyotes so it's not unusual for them to travel and make a den for the female to have her pups.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
It happened around 7:30 PM just before dark, I have woods about a hundred yards behind my house which joins a farm and my yard is not fenced.
I know a lot of people who never let their pets out a hour before sunset because this is when the coyotes are out looking for food. Right now in my area, the rabbits are out everywhere, so they have lots of food, so time of year makes a difference, too.

I'm so glad your baby is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs