Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:48 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times

Advertisements

I am glad you dog is fine and that it turned out to not be something serious.

As to the price I will find out in the not too distant future as Dazzle has a retained testicle too and the vet can not feel it meaning it is up in his abdomen somewhere and he will have to go in and find it. Leaving it would put him at a high risk of it becoming cancerous so it has to be removed. I love my vet and feel he has always done his best to keep prices down so when we get there I will let you know what it cost. He wants Dazzle to have abit more weight on and now since we are in obedience class I will also wait until we are done so it will be 6-8 weeks from now. Abdominal surgery in a male is a bit trickier then in a female due to the fact they can not just ake a straight cut down the center so maybe that is why the cost was so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 05:15 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Dazzle has a retained testicle too and the vet can not feel it meaning it is up in his abdomen somewhere....

Poor Dazzle!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:37 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
You know, not very much would have to go wrong with my junk before I considered it an emergency. I'm assuming the OP is a human male, and as such I think you owe the little guy a bit of urgency in getting this treated.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:16 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
we brought him to the ER. The vet said it's just fluid and not an infection. I'm glad we brought him in for peace of mind. He gave us anti-biotic just incase, and an anti imflamatory.... We payed 550 for the neuter even though they quoted us 250 max.. they claimed it was much more extensive than they thought it would be. an additional 150$ at the ER really stung today.. I just hope everything is okay..

I'll keep you guys posted..
Boy I sure screwed that one up. I'm sorry that you ended up spending more money than you absolutely had to. No more 'diagnosing' over the internet for me!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:42 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
we brought him to the ER. The vet said it's just fluid and not an infection. I'm glad we brought him in for peace of mind. He gave us anti-biotic just incase, and an anti imflamatory.... We payed 550 for the neuter even though they quoted us 250 max.. they claimed it was much more extensive than they thought it would be. an additional 150$ at the ER really stung today.. I just hope everything is okay..

I'll keep you guys posted..
Wow, did you happen to notice if the vet was holding a gun on you when he gave you the bill? $550. for a neuter is robbery. I would be looking for a new vet very soon. My little guy went through the same thing a few weeks ago and his total bill was $176.00, and that included pre-anesthesia blood work and a 2 week supply of antibiotics. Don't know if your vet told you this or not, but his exercise should be limited for awhile, he shouldn't be running and jumpimg around for awhile or this could lead to more trips back to the vet. Hope your little friend gets well soon.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:03 AM

100 posts, read 550,387 times
This calls for a chargeback.

Even so, could the vet have waited somewhat for the other ball to drop or was he just too anxious for your money ?

I'd chargeback the butcher right now while reading city-data. That is terrible to put the little guy through that.

but most of all best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I thought that sounded a little steep as well. Its supposed to cost more to fix a female because its more invasive and I didn't pay half that for either of my female dogs (who are now on rainbow bridge).

I have had many male cats fixed in my day and never ended up with any complications but then I never had a vet suggest he go up in the body of the animal looking for a testicle, they always waited for them to descend.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:25 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

I have had many male cats fixed in my day and never ended up with any complications but then I never had a vet suggest he go up in the body of the animal looking for a testicle, they always waited for them to descend.
I don't remember the age off-hand, but if the testicles don't descend by a certain age they never will. When I adopted my pug he was well over a year old and still cryptorchid.

I'm not saying whether the price was fair or not, since I don't have a good way to compare with the local rates. However please keep in mind that a cryptorchid neuter where you don't know where the other testicle is ahead of time is about 5 times longer and more complicated than a regular neuter. That means more supplies, anesthetic and doctor and tech time. I don't know if that was the case for the OP's dog, but I'm guessing so since there were 3 incisions.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:44 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I don't remember the age off-hand, but if the testicles don't descend by a certain age they never will. When I adopted my pug he was well over a year old and still cryptorchid.

I'm not saying whether the price was fair or not, since I don't have a good way to compare with the local rates. However please keep in mind that a cryptorchid neuter where you don't know where the other testicle is ahead of time is about 5 times longer and more complicated than a regular neuter. That means more supplies, anesthetic and doctor and tech time. I don't know if that was the case for the OP's dog, but I'm guessing so since there were 3 incisions.

I totally agree here. I'm betting the anesthesia alone was a huge part of it since he had to be under for so long. This was no run of the mill neuter.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:05 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,099 times
My little buddy went through the same surgery as the OP's pet for a neuter in March this year, six days later he was attacked by a coyote in our back yard, he still had the staples in his little belly from the surgery when he was attacked. He was ripped open on bith sides, he had muscle tissue hanging out and I put it back in and wrapped him in a towel to hold it in on the way to the vets.

I thought for sure he would die but the vet saved him. After surgery he stayed at the vets for three days, they were concerned about infection from the animal bite. When he was released he was sent home with a 2 week supply of 2 different antibiotics and a 2 week supply of pain meds. His total bill was $584.00 for everything.

Some of these vets just flat out over charge people big time, I've had vets in the past that try to talk over your head and make simple surgery sound like brain surgery so they can clean your clock when you get the bill. Here are some pics of his surgery after the attack.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs