Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:26 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

I tried doing a search on this "campaign" but I did not find anything but I must admit, I'm often don't have that much luck in a search here. It just came across my Facebook page from the shelter where we adopted our last dog, "See This Yellow Ribbon On My Dog's Leash" this means my dog needs space. They would like to see their city adopt this. It sounds like a good idea but when I googled for it, some thought that someone would be asking for trouble by doing it. I know now that I have two larger dogs that when I walk them and am rushed by a group of children, especially if they have dogs with them off leash, it can be a real problem. Since we have had Yellow Dog for about 5 months, I am always guarded when introducing her to new people and situations because I have no idea how over her long life, she has dealt or not had to deal with these situations/people. I think it would be a nice touch especially among the civilized population. I know we were in a lot of RV parks and it would probably work in that type of situation quite well. Good idea, bad idea, not worth a thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 02:34 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
I doubt anyone would know what it meant. I might think the dog belonged to a soldier overseas and you were taking care if it.

Maybe a red ribbon? or a muzzle........

Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
yeah I saw it too. I don't think the general public has any idea about this and it would just mean more attention to your dog.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:51 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
Educational. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
never knew...........until now!

Old 09-04-2012, 07:17 PM

175 posts, read 590,159 times
I would like to tie the yellow ribbon on our dog because she is sooooooo good walking on a leash but as soon as someone comes up close and talks to me or her, she gets all excited. But if we just walk past she ignores them……..until they look at her and say “ohhhh she is so cute…!!!) then all bets are off. LOL !! She is not normally a jumper but when on leash and there is attention given to her she gets excited! A lot of people ask is your dog friendly and can I pet her? I would love to say "no, because it undermines her direction" but I am a softy and usually say yes. She is 90lbs and why would someone with a 10lb dog ask if she is friendly???? Yes she is .... but she will crush your dog if she jumps on them. I can and do control her but is is still a hassle for me. I just want to walk in peace.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:38 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
In all my years being involved with dogs I had never heard of this until reading this thread, I too was thinking in regards to a soldier

Old 09-04-2012, 09:57 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,799 times
I had the same idea but was not sure how to promote it. Mine was a little more detailed.

I would involve the community on several levels.

Colored collars, leashes, baseball hats, arm bands for the people.. they could be made out of paper and be disposable, given out by shelters, trainers. They could be a great thing to market, get some dog food company to sponsor the idea.

The colors could identify RED- stay clear YELLOW- no strangers or no kids, something like that, GREEN- friendly.

They could go into more detail, by the sex of the dog, dog in heat.. being walked by a dog walker,.. on and on..

The colors should be bright and easy to see at a distance. People could put a logo on their fence, mailbox, car. I thought of it for mainly when out walking. So many people just say, "oh, don't worry, my dog won't bite, she is friendly" The yelling in itself excites my dogs and they want to eat the little snack running at them.

Some basic hand signals would be great to. A form of common communication without yelling across the park.

If nothing else, it would be an opportunity to educate children and to bring awareness. It would help other people learn to pay attention to what is going on around them when they have their dog in public.

Anyway, I have a bunch written about it, if anybody would like to carry it out, as I have no resources, but I can send you my notes. PM me I suppose.

It could be a way to get donations at fund raising, by promoting the system and having people buy the colored collars, leashes, vests, all sorts of stuff.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
I have been to dog events that had RED ribbons to tie of the dog or leash if it a dog needs space so others will give it space. I do agree if I saw yellow I would think military not DINOS ( dogs in need of space). There is a great facebook page called DINOS.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:06 AM

34 posts, read 105,088 times
This reminds of back when I was horse back riding. Red ribbon in a horse's tail was a sign that it was a kicker and needed some extra space. It was a very useful piece of information to have in those situations . . . but it only worked because everyone knew what it meant. I've never heard of using ribbons on dogs before to denote any sort of warning and I think it would require a LOT more exposure for the general public to pick up on it. And until that day comes I suppose I don't see it serving much of a purpose (unless you are simply aiming to educating people about it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs