Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Our female lab Angel is eleven now.

She doesn't hear well at all.

She has been to the vet and they could find nothing wrong.

She gets around just fine but, this is still heartbreaking.

We are using hand gestures with her and she is learning fast.

I just hate to see my dogs getting old......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
I agree it is difficult to see our dogs getting old. But to a dog being deaf is really no big deal. Phoenix has been deaf her whole life and most people do not even know she is deaf as she is just like ever other dog out there. I think over the years she has told some of the other dogs just pretend you can't hear and they won't expect you to do as much..

Old 08-30-2011, 11:46 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I agree it is difficult to see our dogs getting old. But to a dog being deaf is really no big deal. Phoenix has been deaf her whole life and most people do not even know she is deaf as she is just like ever other dog out there. I think over the years she has told some of the other dogs just pretend you can't hear and they won't expect you to do as much..
Yea, Angel is doing fine.

We just started checking on things when she was sleeping so sound.

She takes many of her prompts for the other dog, Bear.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:11 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
We've had three deaf dogs over the years and all have done just fine. The current one is a 5 pound Chihuahua and the only real challenge is on our shoulders. We have to always be aware of where she's at in relation to us as she's so little but you have to do that with small dogs anyway.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:38 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Just need to be careful about waking them from their sleep. I used to blow on my dog's face to wake her up, then ever so softly touch her fur (she had long hair) so she knew I was right there (she was also blind).

It's rough to see them age.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
I had a dog who became deaf when he was almost fourteen. It happened over a period of time so I was able to try new methods to communicate. I had read that dogs could feel vibrations so when I called him I'd stamp my foot. As his hearing became worse I learned that this worked in the house but hardly at all outside. Then something interesting happened.

I was in an unheated, somewhat damp room attached to the house. There was an old chest of drawers which hadn't had a drawer pulled out in ages. When I opened a drawer ther was a deep sound, but not very loud. My dog instantly turned his head and looked. From his quick and interested action it was obvious that this was the first sound he'd heard in a long time. Later, I learned that a dog otherwise deaf can often hear low sounds. But in the meantime, I had started pitching my voice as low as possible and he was often able to hear me. It was good to be able to talk to him again and not wonder if he thought I was ignoring him.

It's sad to see them get old. I have two dogs now, twelve and seven, who always liked to play rough and tumble. Lately, however, my older dog will chase around for a minute or so, then run under the porch. My younger dog wants him to jump on her and sit on her as he always did. I wish I could explain to her that she needs to be gentler. I know she would if she knew because he's her hero and she loves him dearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs