Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 04:38 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times

Advertisements

In another thread I've read, the topic is raised differentiating Backyard Breeders and Responsible Breeders, but I've never read any specifics about what the actual criteria would be for a RESPONSIBLE breeder. (I'm posting this in Dogs, because they are my primary interest, but I do understand the same criteria may apply to other breeds, too.)

So, if you were to decide, what would be your criteria for a RESPONSIBLE breeder?

Thank you in advance for keeping on point, and not bashing those that don't fit your criteria....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 05:36 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,890 times
Responsible = NOT breeding AT ALL.

We don't need anymore homeless animals.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:39 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I just got a Sheltie 5 months ago and spent years interviewing different breeders so this first one comes from the Shetland Sheep Club
The American Shetland Sheepdog Association
American Kennel Club - Responsible Breeding Steps

Ultamately its the buyer beware scenario, so it's best to arm yourself with breed knowledge and talk to a lot of breeders, go to dog shows, visit kennels, attend local breed club meetings.

Each breed has their plusses and minuses, you need to priortize what you want in a pet...show...companion events etc. and find the right breed for you first then start investigating breeders, get recommendations from others in the breed and in the end it will be go with your knowledge then your gut. Make sure all breed specific health checks have been done on both parents, check out pedigrees, and websites for testing talk to the owners of both dogs, many times the breeder won't own the stud dog. Visit the litter and work with the breeder to get the right dog for you.

Good luck and enjoy your puppy.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:37 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
In my mind, one of the most important characteristics of a Good, Reputable Breeder is one than constantly strives to improve her line and Breed. Genetics is important, as opposed to throwing a male and female together to see the results
Health standards must be met, ie hips, eyes, elbows, heart etc. certifications is another must.
After birth...the correct care and socialization of a pup and the placing into good, qualified homes.
There was a list posted a few months back...on what to look for in a Breeder, but I'll be darned if I can find it!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
In my mind, one of the most important characteristics of a Good, Reputable Breeder is one than constantly strives to improve her line and Breed. Genetics is important, as opposed to throwing a male and female together to see the results
Health standards must be met, ie hips, eyes, elbows, heart etc. certifications is another must.
After birth...the correct care and socialization of a pup and the placing into good, qualified homes.
Yes.
I'll add that a good breeder cares about breeding for good temperament, and often has all the pups spoken for before they are even born.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes.
I'll add that a good breeder cares about breeding for good temperament, and often has all the pups spoken for before they are even born.
Good points! LOL....Mine use to be spoken for before they were conceived!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:31 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
One who has the parents tested for problems known in the breed (hips, eyes, deafness etc) before breeding so as not to perpetuate any potential health problem(s) and one who will take the puppy back for the lifetime of the puppy should it not work out w/ the new owner.

Most reputable breeders also have homes waiting for their puppies.

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 06-18-2009 at 08:03 AM..

Old 06-18-2009, 07:34 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
A reputable breeder is one who has very sound dogs. You know they are sound because the breeder is winning in the show ring, breeds carefully and infrequently, often has many of the pups "spoken for" before the litter is even conceived and requires that all pups who are sold just as pets and not going into the show ring are spayed/neutered. They have documentation of multiple generations of the dogs showing that the parents, grandparents .... have, for example, OFA certification that the lines are free from hip displasia. They also make a lifetime commitment to take back any dog they have bred and find it a good new home if the original owner can not keep it for any reason.

Generally they consider it a very expensive and time consuming hobby, not a business that they make money on.

Someone who has a dog with "papers" and simply mates it with another dog that has "papers" in order to sell a batch of puppies to whomever has the $$ is not a responsible breeder.

Yeah, I got into the show dog thing for a few years in my 20's but soon realized it wasn't my thing.
Now I just rescue big old black dogs and give them a comfortable retirement for however long they have left.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:03 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Hi Mayberry

These are things I think a resposible breeder should do.

It should be obvious that a breeder would be aware of genetic defects and negative behavioral traits and not breed or sell, intact, such animals. I also feel there is too much inbreeding going on that is producing dogs with specific medical problems. I wouldnt mind seeing some back breeding to try to make breeds overall healither.

The number of litters from a particular female should be limited and spaced out.

Of course a breeder should have proper facilities for all their animals, not keeping them confined in cages.

There should be some level of screening of potential buyers. I dont go for the 20 page form of questions, proof of income, reference letters, etc. but at least a meeting with the buyers, and maybe a check with their vet, or ask some questions about care of the animal, vac.s etc to get a feel for the person.

I cant say what I would look for in a breeder because all my dogs have been rescues except a 2 yr. old rott that was bought from an individual because there was a baby on the way and they didnt want him anymore and the pit pup my son bought from a, oh my, "BYB".

Old 06-18-2009, 08:26 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Here you go:

Backyard Breeder vs Reputable Breeder

This is from the boxer club, but can be appied to any breed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs