Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:13 PM

269 posts, read 1,267,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
No one said a thing and a few months later a neighbor was leaving for work just as I got home and she said " Oh good I want to talk to you about your dog" I of course thought " Oh Oh here it comes" Instead she said" do you take her to work with you or drop her at someone elses house as we never hear her barking" Whew!!!!!!!
I'm dreading this... Arya has been indoors the past few days but everyday when I get home I'm worried that I will see a note on the door or that a neighbor will stop by to complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 12:41 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
We have the Bark Stopper Pro which works well on my older dog and two out of the three of my neighbors' dogs. Does not faze my puppy or the neighbor's puppy at all.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:18 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
I have found that it helps alot if I inform my neighbors and ask for their help. Any time I have gotten a new dog I have told the neighbors and said let me know if you hear any barking or obsevere anything I should know about as I can not fix a problem I do not know about.My new guy Dazzle is a loud whiner so I asked all the neighbors to let me know how he does when I am gone. So far everyone claims that he has behaved. They can't wait to tell me he is being good as I think they really appreciate knowing that I am concerned about how my how my dogs could affect them and that I will work on an issue that they may have instead of getting mad like alot of people do. I have found when you are willing to work with people most people are willing to work with you and thus you get feedback not nasty complaints.

With Jazz no one ever complained but I noticed myself that she tended to bark at every little noise so when I was home I would call her and ask her to get a toy thus distract her and hopefully teach her to take it out on a toy rather then bark and when I was gone she got the bark collar for a few months. I have also put her in the bathroom for a few minutes if she barked at things when she looked out the window. I would call in a happy voice "Jazz lets go have a party" She and Dash would both come running as would Henry and Taffy if we were at my parents ( usually if one barked the others joined in) and all would file into the bathroom and I would shut the door and leave them for a few minutes, it got to the point where all I would have to say is "Party time"and they would file into the bathroom and not come out until I said The release word..I did not even have to get up or close he door. My friends all thought that was so darn funny but it worked so I have done several different things to stop barking but the collar did work for me when I was not home.

But most important be willing to work with the neighbors and let them know you want to fix the issue and may need their help and mean it too.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:29 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Agreed...keeps you on good terms with them, too.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
But most important be willing to work with the neighbors and let them know you want to fix the issue and may need their help and mean it too.
Thanks for the advice- I really think that it's exactly what we should do. DH is a little miffed and doesn't want to admit anything to the neighbors yet. Arya is staying indoors till he's fully trained and ready to spend some time outside by himself!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Agreed...keeps you on good terms with them, too.
Yes, and that is quite important to us!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:08 PM

16 posts, read 146,100 times
Default Citronella does work!

Ok, we got a rescue dog (part beagle/part brittany spaniel) three months ago. She has separation anxiety, and everytime I leave the room she starts barking incessantly. My friends think the dog is a nusience...and she is. We've tried shaking cans with coins, and also spraying her in the face with a water/whilte vinegar solution, which help somewhat, but even I am loosing patience.

Yesterday I got the citronella collar - and she immediately stopped barking after the first spray. I understand that beagles are stubborn, so I was impressed and thought, "Why didn't we do this sooner????"

I would stay away from wireless shocker collars. 10 years ago, with my last dog, I got the barker breaker collar and within 3 days the dogs entire mouth was swollen. When I took off it's collar I found that the prongs had made holes in his neck where blood and pus were draining out. It was unbelieveable. Took him to the ER right away and was told by the VET that he sees this "all the time with invisible fences/shock collars". He said that any wireless electronic device can make the collar zap the dog - your microwave, your phone, etc. THREE DAYS!!!! I could have killed the poor thing. Needless to say I never recommend that.

Every dog is different, and you never know what your dog will respond to. TRy the citronella collars and see what happens. IT's worth a try - and cheaper, too!!! GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs