Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

My friend has a golden and he is always walking, running, or biking with his dog. I don't know about all dogs . . but his Golden would not be happy cooped up in an apartment all day.

What about some of the smallish breeds that are more suited to a small space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:56 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperdooper View Post
I wanted to know if I could possibly have a golden in a 110 meters apartment knowing I am absent from 8h30 to 16h45
This probably deserves its own thread but a golden, as an adult, (like most any of the retrievers) will be fine by itself in a crate for eight hours per day so long as its human is committed to providing the dog with about an hour of intense exercise, mental challenges/stimulation and (especially with goldens) a lot of affectionate attention when you are home.

I don't think the size of the yard or domicile really makes that much difference. If you aren't spending the time to exercise and stimulate the dog, the dog isn't getting enough of either.

So, the question is really more about whether you have the time for a dog than whether you have the space.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:54 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
My friend has a golden and he is always walking, running, or biking with his dog. I don't know about all dogs . . but his Golden would not be happy cooped up in an apartment all day.

What about some of the smallish breeds that are more suited to a small space?
It's a misnomer that small dogs do better in a small space. They have way more energy and tend to Yap in a high pitched manner continuously and most breeds aren't well suited for apartment living do to this. While there are some breeds - not all small breeds do well in an apartment environment. As I stated in another thread I adopted one of my fosters, a min-pin, because the girl who originally owned him lived in an apartment and the neighbors complained of his constant yapping. He did yap at everything he heard, but he's doing much better here than in an apartment.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:59 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
My maltese seemed very suited for apartment living; he had plenty of room to run on cold winter days; and he was not a constant yapper. My yorkie would be fine as well; she's so tiny that a few ball chases down the hall or up and down the steps wear her out. They still need walked; mind you; but they get some exercise inside too. She's not a huge yapper either. Lots of apartments have size restrictions; at least that's what I found when I was renting.

My Westie would not fare so well due to his exercise requirements and HUGE desire to spend most of his day in our fenced yard.

I grew up with a Lab and he LOVED to run and be outside. He would have hated being cramped up in an apartment.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:58 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
I have to agree that smaller dogs do not always make better apartment dogs. I live in a condo and have a small patio that has a dog door so the dogs can go out if I am not home. I work 3 nights a week so am home during the day and 4 nights a week. The condos have no size restrictions and I can say there are alot of larger dogs living here that you would not know are here unless you happen to see them out walking. I rarely hear the big dogs barking but often hear the smaller dogs barking non stop.

Over the years I have lived here with an english cocker, a border collieX cattle dog, a border collie X springer spaniel , an aussie and a silken windhound. I usually have 2 dogs and for awhile had 3 and all have done very well. I have never had a neighbor complain and I have made sure that my neighbors do know that if they hear the dogs barking when I am out to go ahead and tell me as I can not fix a problem if I do not know about it.

My dogs get a ton of exercise by going on walks , runs at the dog park or the leash free beach and agility so in many ways they are luckier then most dogs I know that have yards as many of them spend alot of time alone in a yard. Dogs do not need yards but they do need an owners time.

I think when you live in an apartment or condo the most important issue is are you being honest with yourself about the amount of exercise time you are willing to spend with a dog and to consider that it is not just for a week or two but for the life of the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs