Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:58 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,087,797 times

Advertisements

My husband felt the same about getting a small dog, he wanted a Mastiff, But for our 9 yr old sake, she's not comfortable with large dags yet. He found our Little Mia and surprised us with her. I never planned on breeding her or annything like that so, whether she's poorly bred or not, doesn't matter. You couldn't tell, she as smart as a whip, loving and the best 6 pounder watch dog you could have. This morning while I was getting ready for work, she started barking and barking and then came into my room twirled in a circle ran to the door and came back to me, she did this until I went to see what she was barking about. (the neighbors where talking over a car engine). She watches over my daughter, she is such a joy. Just very stubborn, as all Chi's. I wish I knew how to post a picture here. Oh! She also started howling like a Beagle. Cracks me up.

Last edited by ShellzBellz; 07-14-2009 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:37 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
my chi is a deer head too; according to what I read.
I was offended by the comment:"Deer head" chihuahuas are poorly bred chihuahuas
and would like to know what is meant by that.
I'm as sensitive to my fur baby as other to their children.

To the OP--yes I have one and she's more beautiful-to me-than what might be considered the standard chi.

She's a long hair and she's sweet,doesn't bark, isn't hyper,is very sweet and gentle.................what more could a mom want??

Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 PM

hey, my daughter isn't a member here but read this thread. When she read your prior post---she cracked up!! She got it!! She said it's the same with people-the longer they live, the meaner and crotchety they get!! (she deals with geriatric patients all day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
You guys are just like chihuahuas - can't take a joke.

I'm really fooling around. I've had two chihuahuas in my family for a long time and they have been great dogs (even if they are more like high-maintenance cats).

Ease up people.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
my chi is a deer head too; according to what I read.
I was offended by the comment:"Deer head" chihuahuas are poorly bred chihuahuas
and would like to know what is meant by that.
I'm as sensitive to my fur baby as other to their children.

To the OP--yes I have one and she's more beautiful-to me-than what might be considered the standard chi.

She's a long hair and she's sweet,doesn't bark, isn't hyper,is very sweet and gentle.................what more could a mom want??

What I meant was they are very poorly bred chihuahuas. And if you read my post, I said I have 5 very poorly bred chihuahuas. It doesn't mean a thing about their temperament or how cute you or anyone else thinks they are. But the fact is there is no breed called a deer head chihuahua. And according to the breed standard (I posted the link) they aren't even close to the standard, therefor, they are very poorly bred.

It doesn't mean you don't love them. It doesn't mean they're not worthy of life. All it means is they are poorly bred. Just like mine are. I still love mine and although I think they're kinda goofy looking, they're just as sweet and wonderful as can be.

For the record I also had a poorly bred rottie that I just had put to sleep. Breed standard wise, she was a horrible example of what a rottie should look like. But by God she was an amazing ambassador to her breed, temperament wise. She was pack mom and my right hand in the rescue.

I also have 2 horrid examples of German Shepherds. And a terrible example of a chow that's as sweet as he can be. And a terrible example of a rat terrier, a cocker spaniel, and a beagle. But they are all wonderful, sweet, loving, affectionate dogs. But by no means do they meet breed standards for their specific breed. And just because the beagle has a really cute curling tail with longer fur does it mean he should be bred for it. And that's what people have done with the deer head chi. It's not a breed, but they breed them anyway even though we're killing millions of dogs a year.

Just because a dog doesn't meet breed standard doesn't mean they're stupid, untrainable, or unloveable. But be honest about what they are. Just like if someone asked about their yorkie-poo. It's not a breed, it's a mutt. Call it what it is.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:16 AM

what does poorly bred mean???

Types of Chihuahua

Old 07-15-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
what does poorly bred mean???

Types of Chihuahua

Poorly bred means the person that was breeding the litter that the puppy came from did a poor job. I'm not sure how else to explain it. They do not conform to the breed standard for the chihuahua. A properly bred chi would have parents that meet the breed standard, as based on the link I posted. A deer head will not meet that. That also means most likely that there were no genetic tests done on the parents to make sure it would be a healthy litter. That's where my concern comes in.

And the link you posted? It's a site to sell chihuahuas. They could give a fig less about a properly bred, healthy puppy. All they care about is money, much like most of the 'breeders' out there.

I'm not sure what you're not understanding.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:57 AM

the link I posted provided information about Chihuahuas. How do you know they don't give a fig about healthy pups? You make too many assumptions, I'm thinking.
I don't "get" how you know if a pup is the product of poor breeding unless you were there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Poorly bred means the person that was breeding the litter that the puppy came from did a poor job. I'm not sure how else to explain it. They do not conform to the breed standard for the chihuahua. A properly bred chi would have parents that meet the breed standard, as based on the link I posted. A deer head will not meet that. That also means most likely that there were no genetic tests done on the parents to make sure it would be a healthy litter. That's where my concern comes in.

And the link you posted? It's a site to sell chihuahuas. They could give a fig less about a properly bred, healthy puppy. All they care about is money, much like most of the 'breeders' out there.

I'm not sure what you're not understanding.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:35 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,087,797 times
I'm just curious as to what breed of dog was bred with a Chihuahua to get the Deer headed Chihuahua? They are just so darn cute!
Mia isn't not a "Yapper" BUT she will howl like a beagle, and her ears go up and down then flop down depending on her curiousity. She is very loving, but hesitant around young children and adults, she has initiate the first contact. I guess protective of her family. My 9 yr old and her are the best of friends, so I'm glad to hear they live long lives.

We are working to break her of that, she is always with us around family gatherings and outings. Any suggestions??

I appreciate all the information you have.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
the link I posted provided information about Chihuahuas. How do you know they don't give a fig about healthy pups? You make too many assumptions, I'm thinking.
I don't "get" how you know if a pup is the product of poor breeding unless you were there.
Simple. Ethical breeders breed to improve their breed, not to make money. Any breeder that is breeding chihuahuas that do not improve the breed - as in deer head chis - are not ethical breeders. They aren't there to improve the breed; they do what they do to make money. There is no way to make money breeding dogs if you are doing it properly. If you're not doing it properly, you're doing a poor job.

I'm not sure why you're worked up. So you don't have a show dog. Big stinking hairy deal. Do you love it any less because it wasn't bred properly? It sure hasn't changed the way I feel about mine.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:37 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,134,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellzBellz View Post
I'm just curious as to what breed of dog was bred with a Chihuahua to get the Deer headed Chihuahua? They are just so darn cute!
Mia isn't not a "Yapper" BUT she will howl like a beagle, and her ears go up and down then flop down depending on her curiousity. She is very loving, but hesitant around young children and adults, she has initiate the first contact. I guess protective of her family. My 9 yr old and her are the best of friends, so I'm glad to hear they live long lives.

We are working to break her of that, she is always with us around family gatherings and outings. Any suggestions??

I appreciate all the information you have.
I had a chi/minpin mix that had similar features to the deer face/deer leg chihuahua. And she had what we called "bad ear days" where her ears or one ear would flop. She also would howl at times too. So yours could have a bit of mini pinscher in her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs