Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,959 times

Advertisements

I just moved back to the mobile area and my 7yr old Pitbull is not adjusting well! We're here with him all the time, walk him, play in the back yard, but as soon as we leave the house he freaks out. We also have a 13 yr old female pitbull and a min pin. Those two are fine when we're gone. We started leaving them in our room with the door shut while we were gone but a thunderstorm came and we came home to a torn up bedroom door that we had to replace plus drywall!

I love my baby so much and have no idea what to do to stop this. He's always been an inside dog. He doesn't even want to be outside when we're at home. He stands at the door and crys and has chewed his way out of the fence to get to the front door trying to come in!
(He never did this at our other home)

Any suggestions?????

Help! Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I moved your thread to the Dog forum. The folks here are GREAT and can give you lots of info on things to do for your baby.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:44 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Would exercise him before you leave ("a tired dog is a good dog"), put the tv or radio on, exit quickly (don't make a big deal when you leave, just give them a quick goodbye and a small treat - same when you come home, virtually ignore them for the first 5 or 10 minutes or it'll give him a reason to think he should be nervous when you leave, if you gush over him/them). YOu might also want to leave often for short periods til he gets adjusted. THere's some other good threads here w/ other tips - anyway hang in there and good luck.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:55 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
When my dog is under stress or I think he will be (thunderstorms predicted, etc.), I give him drops that I got from the pet store (we have Concord Pet but you can purchase this at any pet store) to calm him. They are a natural homeopathic and called Anxiety TFLN. It seems to work and while I have a prescription for him, I would rather not use it unless absolutely necessary. I took it to our vet and he approved it.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:03 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,299,253 times
My dog used to have moderate separation anxiety as well. I found that leaving for short periods helped condition her. I also left her treats to chew on. I got some hollow bones and stuffed hot dogs in them. It usually took her about half an hour to eat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs