Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:50 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,203 times

Advertisements

Saw that fact on a NatGeo show and found it fascinating.

"All dogs share 99.8 percent of the same DNA, which means that Chihuahuas and Great Danes are more alike than they are different."

amazing that .2 percent determines the vast differences we see in dogs today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 07:38 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post

"All dogs share 99.8 percent of the same DNA, which means that Chihuahuas and Great Danes are more alike than they are different."

Yes, that is correct.

That is why it is:
Animal
Dog
(Dog's name here)

Old 08-27-2011, 07:41 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
Sounds good to me!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:48 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post

not really that surprising when you figure humans and chimps share over 98% the same dna.

that show was really interesting. i guess basically all dogs started out the same and all dogs are essentially mutts, its after generations of breeding they are then considered a specialty breed.

alot of people say the new breeds like olde bulldogges and thingsl ike that aren't real breed or recognized breeds but essentially all dogs started out like that.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I have to giggle at those "doggy DNA" tests sold in the in-flight magazines next to the other Sharper Image type stuff.

A friend actually received one of these for Christmas from his gullible brother, so he could figure out the breeds in his rescue mutt. It was highly scientific and consisted of some cotton swabs and mylar mailing envelopes, and an address of doubtless somebody's basement in Des Moines, Iowa. The results came back "inconclusive." Hah.

His wife was sharing this at the vet's office and chuckling, and the vest asked, "Well, what breeds does she look like to you?" Wife replied, "She looks like a rat terrier with beagle-like markings and acts like a rat terrier, so I'm gonna go with rat terrier/beagle mix." The vet said, "Good enough for me."

Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have to giggle at those "doggy DNA" tests sold in the in-flight magazines next to the other Sharper Image type stuff.

A friend actually received one of these for Christmas from his gullible brother, so he could figure out the breeds in his rescue mutt. It was highly scientific and consisted of some cotton swabs and mylar mailing envelopes, and an address of doubtless somebody's basement in Des Moines, Iowa. The results came back "inconclusive." Hah.

His wife was sharing this at the vet's office and chuckling, and the vest asked, "Well, what breeds does she look like to you?" Wife replied, "She looks like a rat terrier with beagle-like markings and acts like a rat terrier, so I'm gonna go with rat terrier/beagle mix." The vet said, "Good enough for me."
Hilarious story! I saw that ad in the SkyMall magazine this weekend while flying.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:06 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
The thing with mixed breed rescues is that, unless the dog was born in the shelter you get him or her from and the parentage actually known, most of the time, the breeds they are assigned are really just the best guesses of random volunteers with varying knowledge of certain dog breeds. So there's gonna be varying accuracy. It seems like most people wanna be able to define what breeds are in their mutts, but when you get to researching different potential breeds, it gets to be like looking at horoscopes..."Oh, I for SURE exhibit those Libra traits..." "Yes, I really SEE the basenji in his attitude." You tend to see what you wanna, and assessments or may not be accurate...but in the end, it doesn't really matter much.

Our dog was labeled by the refuge as a catahoula-beagle mix. He's visibly very beagle-like in build, temperament, voice, and scent-tracking behavior, and he certainly has the mereled markings of a catahoula...but, really, who's to know? He could just as easily have Australian Shepherd or Australian Cattle Dog mixed in, and that could account for the markings. It's hard to say.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:34 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
Yeah, guesses can be really on the mark, or way off. Our only dog that didn't come from a shelter, was a Dalmatian/Dobie/GSD mix. The vet took one look at him and said, he looks like a purebred Australian Shepherd. And he did, except I don't think they come in black/white/grey coloring.
I used to diss DNA tests too, but I'd heard Wisdom Panel's latest was much improved and I finally broke down and did it on one of my girls. She came out 50/50 Amstaff and Great Dane. That's very similar to how she looks (had guessed Dalmatian for her spots but Harlequin Great Dane would fit the bill). So I do have to put some creedence in them now, that couldn't have been some random result. It must not have been the test you describe, it had a little mascara brush type thing instead of a cotton swab (unfortunately- twirling a mascara brush inside your dogs cheek for 10 seconds, twice, doesn't go over all that well but we got it done)

Old 08-29-2011, 04:06 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,102 times
I did the same thing as subject2change. I bought a wisdom panel at my vet advice. He said it would be cheaper and faster than if they did it and it would be the only way to change his breed info. I still have a two week wait but am excited to find out results.

We got him from the shelter and they listed him as a red nose pit. He is absolutely beautiful but when I look at him, I see a Dog de Bordeaux (Hooch from Turner and Hooch) and English Bulldog mix. His eyes are the color of honey.

He has the red mask from the Bordeaux, slobers, webbed monster paws, box muzzle, his teeth go straight back (bulldog) instead of the v shape the pits have. He could have pit mix but he's not full pit. The body, legs, shoulders and legs aren't right for pit or am staff.

Do you remember the cartoon character Spike, back when we were kids? He was gray, big muscular shoulders, little butt...when he walked his shoulders rippled and moved almost like a cat? That's my Diesel. It's comical.

He snores and breathes like a bulldog. He also gulps air the way they do and therefore it comes out the other end...in a green cloud. I think that is why they named him Diesel, because of his fumes. (lol)

Anyway back to the doggy DNA test. Last year Banfield told me they would do it for $300. My vet will do it for $125, he recommended the wisdom panel for $70 and I got a coupon on-line for $10 off. Pretty good deal, they have a data base of more than 170 breeds. Which after some research, is the best and least expensive out there.

I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks if it was worth it!

Old 08-29-2011, 05:01 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
I am SO SO SO tempted to do these tests on my crew..... mainly just to see if my guesses are correct.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs