Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
if you were even dimly aware of the THOUSANDS of discarded animals .... mutts and purebreds, i don't see how you could consider promoting adoption over purchase from dubious sources to be an "unreasonable ideological belief"
it becomes an unreasonable ideological belief when you attack people who sell them from stores. when you prefer to adopt shelter dogs, its your preference, its fine.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,554 times
Your name calling was uncalled for. This was the wrong place, IMO. There are better ways to convey your message without inciting already high emotions regarding this particular issue -- especially here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what are you talking about? .

Old 09-02-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Your name calling was uncalled for. This was the wrong place, IMO. There are better ways to convey your message without inciting already high emotions regarding this particular issue -- especially here.
are you really this sensitive or are you just being a drama queen for the sake of the argument? the people from a business post about all the work they do to maintain a quality establishment and the shelter wackos basically so they dont care, selling animals is evil. thats uncalled for. i think people who are in this whole animal adoption world sometimes forget that most people have different priorities and we dont want to hear how evil it is to purchase a puppy from these self rightious wackadoos.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:42 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
Quote:
im not defending my choice, and i dont need anyone defending my choice. im just saying that a pet store is a business and they have a right to operate and sell animals so long as there are people who want to purchase them from them. they also dont have any obligations to take them back beyond their own return policy and people should consider that when buying.
yeah and the dogs should consider that when being sold.

after all they're the ones who end up dead or cooped up in a cage for the rest of their lives because of irresponsible breeding and irresponsible buying.

a reputable breeder wouldn't sell to a pet store. reputable breeders sell directly to owners, have buyers for the pups before they're born, and have a return policy. the return policy is NOT for the benefit of the buyers - it's for the benefit of the dogs. in fact if a buyer from a reputable breeder wants to get rid of their dog and takes it to a shelter, or even gives it to someone else without the breeder's approval, they are in breach of contract.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yeah and the dogs should consider that when being sold.
they are dogs, they dont have any say in the matter.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
they are dogs, they dont have any say in the matter.
i was being sarcastic. thanks for making my point for me which is that the return policy is not for the people. it's for the dogs.

so your saying "people should take the return policy into consideration before buying" is a moot point.

people SHOULD do a lot of things. in these cases, when they don't do what they should, it's the dogs who pay the price.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i was being sarcastic. thanks for making my point for me which is that the return policy is not for the people. it's for the dogs.

so your saying "people should take the return policy into consideration before buying" is a moot point.

people SHOULD do a lot of things. in these cases, when they don't do what they should, it's the dogs who pay the price.
the breeder isnt selling anything to dogs, they dont have money. their policies are for the people and for themselves and their reputations. i see people who wouldnt recommend buying from a breeder who doesnt have a policy to take the dog back. so it is for the customer, even though it doesnt really impact their experience.

it makes little difference. a dog is a product and ultimately the one who needs to be satisfied is the buyer.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
it becomes an unreasonable ideological belief when you attack people who sell them from stores. when you prefer to adopt shelter dogs, its your preference, its fine.
Sorry - can't agree with you. It is not unreasonable to take a stand against profit made from the misery of dogs. Just because its legal doesn't make it right. If you had ever had the misfortune to deal with dogs (the puppies and the breeders) that had been pulled from a puppy mill, I'm sure it would turn your stomach too. Puppy Mills don't give a hoot about the animals, good breeding habits or anything else except the dollars they bring in. The dogs from puppy mills have a higher likelihood of genetic issues and are more prone to socialization and temperment issues. As I said in my last post, the main customer for puppy mills are PET STORES. If you can stop the profit, it will stop the industry.

Unfortunately, its also true that most puppies purchased from pet stores are done as an impulse buy. Its done with no thought of the breed characteristics or temperment or something as obvious as size! Pet Stores will sell to any adult off the street that has the money for the purchase. So tell me again how concerned they are for the puppies well being. There is no more regard for the animal than if they are selling a loaf of bread. Am I passionate about it? Obviously.

Last edited by Va-Cat; 09-02-2009 at 10:21 AM..

Old 09-02-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
the breeder isnt selling anything to dogs, they dont have money. their policies are for the people and for themselves and their reputations. i see people who wouldnt recommend buying from a breeder who doesnt have a policy to take the dog back. so it is for the customer, even though it doesnt really impact their experience.

it makes little difference. a dog is a product and ultimately the one who needs to be satisfied is the buyer.
right, i forgot that we already established that you don't give a damn about the suffering of dogs who aren't your own. i'm sure some random chick on the internet is not going to teach you about basic decency. in that case there is no point in arguing that particular point with you.

the reason people recommend breeders who have those kinds of return policies is because it is a sign that the breeder cares about the welfare of the dogs they breed, and wants to make sure that they can keep track of them and ensure that they live full and happy lives. it's not an OPTION to return - it's an OBLIGATION to return. a good breeder is not just interested in your money; in fact proper breeding is not a very profitable enterprise. they want to make sure the dog is a good fit for you and if it isn't that you won't be dumping it.

a couple of years ago there was a lot of publicity about ellen degeneres running into one of these return policies - she gave her dog to a friend who had a child younger than allowed by the breeder, without notifying the breeder. this broke degeneres' contract and the breeder demanded the dog back. so how exactly was the breeder's return policy benefiting degeneres? that kind of return policy is a restriction on what the owner can do with the dog, not just an out if they don't want the dog anymore.

Last edited by groar; 09-02-2009 at 10:17 AM..

Old 09-02-2009, 10:13 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:

so that beautiful, living, breathing, feeling girl you researched so carefully and spent so much money for is still just a product to you?? no different than a television, car, shirt or bottle of your favorite beverage??

wow.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs