Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where did you get your dog?
pet store 1 0.78%
shelter/rescue 80 62.02%
found as a stray 14 10.85%
breeder (small scale, contract required, dogs kept as pet) 30 23.26%
large scale commercial breeder (backyard breeder, no contract, many litters) 5 3.88%
unknown breeder 0 0%
friend who bred their dog 5 3.88%
person who had to get rid of their pet (friend or from classified ad) 9 6.98%
other (please explain) 12 9.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:53 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,102 times

Advertisements

my lab was adopted from the Guiding Eyes for the Blind released puppy program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 12:11 PM

19,521 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Currently our two pooches came to us via rescue/shelter groups.
People often ask us if they're related. They do look similar in some respects. Maybe it's that they both have a little Chow in them but they don't look like a pure-bred. One has more of a Husky look and the other,.. hmm... the body of a Daschund, the ears of Yoda, kinda the face of a Shepherd. Both are so sweet and get along together fabulously. A boy and a girl. First time I've ever had a female dog - it's great. She loves the attention she gets from my husband. Little hussy

In the past years and counting down:
The two previious to that were from the local Humane Society. The older one was mix of Chow/Akita (?), so someone there told us. We think the one we have now, may be his grandson. His Grandpa was the Gene Simmons of Dogdom. The other was more of a challenge. Wish we had gone thru dog some obedience classes prior to that. Our fault. We know a bit more after having done so but wish it had been sooner.

How my husband and I acquired our very first pooch together requires a bit more explaining per the poll, since it falls under the "OTHER" category. My husband and I were stationed in Naples, Italy. When we first arrived, we had to spend some time at the hotel while paperwork goes through the proper channels pending our search for a place to stay and all. Well, the desk attendant had a hotel mascot and he was such a lovely dog too. Every chance I got, I would say hello to him. I guess the person at the front desk sensed how much I cared for the dog and asked if we wanted him. My husband was a little reluctant at first, but the dog must have put on the face for him and won his heart.

Growing up as a kid - my folks, brother and I visited a breeder and picked out this white German Shepherd puppy dog with the tell-tale signs of spaghetti sauce all over his face. A gracious, loving and super guard dog.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:26 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Currently our two pooches came to us via rescue/shelter groups.
People often ask us if they're related. They do look similar in some respects. Maybe it's that they both have a little Chow in them but they don't look like a pure-bred. One has more of a Husky look and the other,.. hmm... the body of a Daschund, the ears of Yoda, kinda the face of a Shepherd. Both are so sweet and get along together fabulously. A boy and a girl. First time I've ever had a female dog - it's great. She loves the attention she gets from my husband. Little hussy

In the past years and counting down:
The two previious to that were from the local Humane Society. The older one was mix of Chow/Akita (?), so someone there told us. We think the one we have now, may be his grandson. His Grandpa was the Gene Simmons of Dogdom. The other was more of a challenge. Wish we had gone thru dog some obedience classes prior to that. Our fault. We know a bit more after having done so but wish it had been sooner.

How my husband and I acquired our very first pooch together requires a bit more explaining per the poll, since it falls under the "OTHER" category. My husband and I were stationed in Naples, Italy. When we first arrived, we had to spend some time at the hotel while paperwork goes through the proper channels pending our search for a place to stay and all. Well, the desk attendant had a hotel mascot and he was such a lovely dog too. Every chance I got, I would say hello to him. I guess the person at the front desk sensed how much I cared for the dog and asked if we wanted him. My husband was a little reluctant at first, but the dog must have put on the face for him and won his heart.

Growing up as a kid - my folks, brother and I visited a breeder and picked out this white German Shepherd puppy dog with the tell-tale signs of spaghetti sauce all over his face. A gracious, loving and super guard dog.

your current two sound fascinating..... would LOVE to see pictures..... and of any of the older ones as well.....

gene simmons of dogdom.... hahahaha... good one..... i think there is a gene simmons red heeler .... don't know if it is a male or female version.... somewhere by me ..... the shelter i got bailey from has had at least 2 or 3 more in the 4 years that i have had my girl..... .... and they all look suspiciously alike.......

Old 10-13-2009, 02:31 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
You can all just kill me now, but, we got Storm from a large breeder. They breed about ten different breeds of dogs and kept a very clean kennel but I kind of felt sorry for his mom because she was shy of people and I don't think she every really got out of her cage at all. The breeders breed about ten different breeds of dogs I think whatever is the current "fad" dog and in all truth I think they are sort of like a puppy mill. In all honesty I would not have chosen a puppy from that breeder but my pushy SIL knew the women that owned it so naturally she pushed my husband into getting a GSD from them We ended up with a nice dog though....haha I had to fight for the puppy I got because when we got to the breeder we had a choice of two puppies and I chose the one I wanted but naturally my SIL started insisting that I take the other one Thankfully my husband figured it would be OK for me to pick so I got my pick of puppies

Old 10-13-2009, 02:36 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
Two different Rotty Breeders in very early 1980's since then all from rescue org.

We LOVE our Rotts

Old 10-13-2009, 05:30 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
2 of mine are rescues.. 1 from rescue worked with that found in kill shelter that had 55 minutes til death, English setter from a friend that vet gave bad diagnosis (said pinched nerve not blood test or x rays) found out was lymes as I told him. My oldest female breeder in Missourri and my stud out of Wisconsin breeder who has top line SAR bloodhounds.
I also breed SAR dogs and all sold on contract.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:49 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,455 times
Is this for one-upsmanship? Those who got a dog from a shelter are doing something better than people who bought a dog as a puppy? I think not. Who cares where you get your dog...the more important thing is how you train and raise your dog. Where did you get your husband or wife???

Old 10-13-2009, 05:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I am almost 55 years old and had pound puppies all my life until around age 35-40.
That was when we discovered mastiffs.
Since then we have been in touch with breeders, very ethical breeders, and that is where our 4 different dogs, over the years, have come from.
We now have a purebred 10 month old pup, but recently lost a dearly loved five year old who died from a heart tumor.
I have been looking for rescues.
But it gets tricky when the rescue needs to be the only dog in the house, or does not like cats.
We will just wait until the right one comes along.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:19 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
My 9 year old dog was purchased from a knowledgeable local breeder and whelped in a home before made him part of our family. My dear late kitty was dumped on our road and left to die in Nov. in Maine and we took her in...she gave us 11 wonderful years.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:48 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
My first 2 were from a friend of my BF's sister who wasn't careful...his chihuahua got pregnant & he didn't have the means or time to tend to them, so we took them in and kept all 3 (my BF has the third)...The guy was in tears at having to let them go, but is quite poor. We helped him spay his chihuahua, but he didn't want $ for the pups, just good homes where they'd be loved.

Cinnamon was also the product of an unplanned pregnancy, a teenager (younger brother of a friend) whose dad threatened to kill all the pups unless he got rid of them somehow, so I took the whole litter & the mama (they were only a few weeks old & still nursing) found homes (free of course) for all but one...couldn't resist her spunky personality & kept her myself!

Guinness was found on the street, filthy and starving. He's now technically my mom's dog, but he spends a few nights a week here with me so he can play with the sisters he loves & grew up with.

Boo came into the e-vet center (where I work) after a dog fight...one eye had to be removed, and the owners wanted to have her put down. The doctor refused since she was perfectly healthy (besides the eye) and since she's already 8 yrs. old, I knew her chances in a shelter would be slim, so I adopted her.

My BF's other dogs were all rescues as well...a white boxer (Aphex) found dumped (and very sick) in an alley...my guess is the "Breeder" thought she might be deaf so discarded her.
Lilith (some sort of Pit mix) was also found wandering the streets, starving and filthy...he fell in love with her big brown eyes & couldn't say no.
Amoeba, another chihuahua, belonged to a bunch of bikers who went to buy beer at my BF's parents' family store, but didn't have enough $...they offered to give my BF the chihuahua as a trade for beer, (I know...disgusting & unbelievable!) and he agreed, knowing the poor thing clearly wasn't loved at all and would be better off with him!
And finally Pinky (also chihuahua...) was the runt of a former friend's litter...the guy didn't want her and couldn't sell her, and was going to take her to the HS...no way my soft-hearted BF could let that happen, and now 12 years later, she's healthy, happy, and loved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs