Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where did you get your dog?
pet store 1 0.78%
shelter/rescue 80 62.02%
found as a stray 14 10.85%
breeder (small scale, contract required, dogs kept as pet) 30 23.26%
large scale commercial breeder (backyard breeder, no contract, many litters) 5 3.88%
unknown breeder 0 0%
friend who bred their dog 5 3.88%
person who had to get rid of their pet (friend or from classified ad) 9 6.98%
other (please explain) 12 9.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:04 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,326 times

Advertisements

One dog was a friends who clearly didn't know how to train it, I told them I would take her, in a week they called me.

One from the shelter she was a chewer and was ready to be pts the next day, all she needed was something good to chew on

One kept running away from its owners and the police were after him, so I said I would take him, big dog needed to run, could not live in a city home with small yard.

One came to work hiding in the shade, dehyrated, had a crack in his back from abuse.

Friends and people can be weird, they get a dog, start hollering at the pet for chewing or peeing, like that is going to train the dog.

A nice voice, some training and patience and love is all a dog needs, you'd pee on the floor and chew things too if you constantly got screamed at or beaten for something that was not taught to you , plus the fact of the stress from one owner giving up on you and being placed in a shelter , I'd be scared too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:00 AM

43 posts, read 128,972 times
I put "other" because my father's friend gave it to me since that time i dint have any pets but turtles,cats and birds. Two of my turtles are still alive in my big pond in the house. The cats found a home for themselves and the birds... I let the birds go. He only gave me the puppy because I kept telling my parents I wanted a dog so much. And one day my father's friend came to the house and dropped of the puppy. It is black and white and it came to my house at 5 weeks old. now it is already going to be 1 year old. Its birthday is coming soon. It is on 7th November. I just love dogs!!!! Their so adorable and cute! ♥

Old 10-19-2009, 09:01 AM

by the way.... how do u do the polls?

Old 10-19-2009, 10:26 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
1st dog, Jasper, got him off the back of a truck as a puppy at the fleamarket. It was fitting..he came complete with fleas!

2nd, and most recent, Jupiter,Found him by the side of the road.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:33 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
and i bet those fleas were no extra charge too!!

Old 10-19-2009, 01:18 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetLover321 View Post
by the way.... how do u do the polls?
when you start a thread, it gives you the option to include a poll.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:22 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
and i bet those fleas were no extra charge too!!
LOL no such thing as a free puppy! The vet charged me extra to get the fleas off of him fast-quick-in-a-hurry.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:40 PM

141 posts, read 330,134 times
I have 2 mini-schnauzer's that we purchased from a breeder. They have 2 puppies.

I have a stray pitbull mix that took over our outside doghouse 2 years ago and had puppies in it. She tried to eat us up for 2 months every time we came in and out of our house. She was almost dead before we started feeding her (we couldn't let her and her pups just die), she was scarred all over her face, emaciated and shaking constantly. She was scared of her own shadow. And after 2 years she is loving and loyal.......but, I don't think we're to the trusting part yet. She has one pup that lived and we still have. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body. She's like a big baby.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:09 AM

thanks! i dint know that since i just started few days ago...

Old 10-20-2009, 07:58 AM

29 posts, read 138,914 times
Ours came from "barnyard breeders". Farm families who owned a lot of livestock - cattle, horses, chickens. We got each one as a pup at eight weeks. In both cases, they came with AKC papers but no contract or health guarantee.

I knew the type of puppy we were looking for and contacted an awful lot of people - rescue places and breeders from several states. It took more than a year of searching before finding our youngest dog and almost as long to acquire the other, but it was definitely worth the trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs