Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 06:55 PM

71 posts, read 424,484 times

Advertisements

Hey all. My husband and I just bought our first house and are looking to buy furniture for the living room. We have 2 dogs (about 50 pounds each) that like to get up on the sofa with us so we're wondering what kind of material would be most dog-resistant. We're thinking either leather or microfiber. Leather would be nice in that any dirt would be easy to clean off, but one of the dogs likes to 'scratch' her sleeping area so we are worried about the leather scratching. A furniture salesman at one of the stores we went to said Microfiber is good because there are no threads that can be pulled by scratching (which is what has happened to one of the couches we currently own...a twill-type material). Does anyone have experience with sofas and dog scratches?? Of course we could just try training the dogs to stay off the furniture, but I kind of like having them next to me on the sofa...they keep me warm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 06:57 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CObound View Post
Hey all. My husband and I just bought our first house and are looking to buy furniture for the living room. We have 2 dogs (about 50 pounds each) that like to get up on the sofa with us so we're wondering what kind of material would be most dog-resistant. We're thinking either leather or microfiber. Leather would be nice in that any dirt would be easy to clean off, but one of the dogs likes to 'scratch' her sleeping area so we are worried about the leather scratching. A furniture salesman at one of the stores we went to said Microfiber is good because there are no threads that can be pulled by scratching (which is what has happened to one of the couches we currently own...a twill-type material). Does anyone have experience with sofas and dog scratches?? Of course we could just try training the dogs to stay off the furniture, but I kind of like having them next to me on the sofa...they keep me warm!
I would go with leather. That is what we do with the vehicles.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:16 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
The salesman was right about the microfiber. It is very tightly woven so it doesn't fray easily. Good for dogs and really good for households with cats as there is nothing for them to get their claws into. Easy to clean, too.

I have a dog and a cat, and I have a microfiber sofa and a leather club chair. Both seem to be holding up well.

(Congrats on the new house!)

Old 10-17-2009, 07:41 PM

519 posts, read 1,377,654 times
I have micofiber and hate it, I have to very spoiled Collies and they love to get on the couch and furniture also and the bed, I have a night cuddler. Anyhow if you do this get a very dark color and with my cats they have started to fray a bit, it stains easily just a word of causion. I have kids to so tha doesn't help with the stains but if the dog comes in the least bit wet and doesn't get dried off then its on the fiber and it starts to stain, and it doesn't come out easily. Just my experience with microfiber myself.
Congrats on your new house.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:46 PM

737 posts, read 2,588,183 times
Leather, unless your dogs don't shed. We have one leather sofa (main room) and one micro-fiber (t.v. room). Leather is much easier to clean; we've gone through a ridiculous amount of the 3-M wipes on the micro-fiber for the pet hair and it holds their smells. However, THANKS TO THIS FORUM, we have recently re-trained them to stay off the sofas (by placing pillows at the front of the sofas; they won't get up because they can't see what is on the other side). So instead of being on the sofas, we simply increased the number of pet beds on the floor and now they seem just as happy to hang out at our feet.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:52 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Of course we could just try training the dogs to stay off the furniture, but I kind of like having them next to me on the sofa...they keep me warm!
Your husband is supposed to keep you warm...get a quilt and snuggle up. Train the dogs to stay off the furniture.

There's no magic fabric that will hold up 'well' to a couple of 50 lb dogs. Yes, the leather will show scratches and the microfiber is probably your best bet but in a short amount of time it will still look like you have dogs on the couch.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:10 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
We have leather chairs, a leather couch and a leather loveseat. We now have a pekingese but this old furniture has seen us through other dogs and cats, plus kids. The animals were always getting up on the furniture, I can't imagine anything else holding up so well...

Old 10-17-2009, 09:15 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
I'd go with the leather too. The microfiber we had stained horribly as well.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:48 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,881 times
I bought a microfiber slip cover for my sofa. I have three large dogs who are allowed on that piece of furniture. I just throw the cover in the wash once a week. It always smells fresh and any dog hair comes off in the dryer. After a year, it doesn't show any signs of wear.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:08 PM

142 posts, read 571,375 times
We have a leather couch with tan microfiber cushions and back pillows. The microfiber has been peed on, spilled on, you name it we even got tar on it when they re did our roof and it all came out there are no stains on it what so ever. The leather arms however are all scratched up from my dogs using them as a launching pad or the kitty jumping and not quite making it then digging in his claws as he is slipping The poor couch is barely a year old too. I would go with microfiber unless your dogs are super well behaved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs