Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Sadly, I think it would be best to put him to sleep. I think there's too much of a risk of him being abused if he ends up being placed in another home.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sadly, I think it would be best to put him to sleep. I think there's too much of a risk of him being abused if he ends up being placed in another home.
While I agree that that's better than going to another home, we are willing to work on these issues and I have gotten some great suggestions here. If I didn't care about him, I'd have dumped him long ago without asking for advice! I am getting him medication (and he's getting neutered next week) and we'll see where we go from there.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
He was definitely hit when he pooped/peed in the house. And the crate was used as punishment, that's all I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
Ewww..they used the crate as punishment. No wonder he's freaking out.
Agreed. You can't crate a dog that was punished with the crate. It's just too cruel.

How does he behave when he's alone at home and not in a crate?

Old 03-19-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Agreed. You can't crate a dog that was punished with the crate. It's just too cruel.

How does he behave when he's alone at home and not in a crate?
But I can't leave him out in the open, even contained in the bathroom, see above pics. I have no choice. Either he's crated or we come home to a destroyed apartment. I'll take the crate until I figure something else out.

We left him out with PC before and he destroyed the place. We didn't ever plan on using the crate, as I'm not a fan. He had the same freedom that PC had but abused it severely. We tried for a long time to just let him wander as he pleases. He totally abused that privilege, and did the same kind of damage as you see in the picture. Only to the main living area.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
While I agree that that's better than going to another home, we are willing to work on these issues and I have gotten some great suggestions here. If I didn't care about him, I'd have dumped him long ago without asking for advice! I am getting him medication (and he's getting neutered next week) and we'll see where we go from there.
Glad to hear that you don't think it's a good idea for him to be re-homed.

Hopefully, the medication will help him transition and learn.

How old is he?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
But I can't leave him out in the open, even contained in the bathroom, see above pics. I have no choice. Either he's crated or we come home to a destroyed apartment. I'll take the crate until I figure something else out.
Maybe he was trying to get away from the crate. How would he have behaved in the bathroom if the crate hadn't been in the room? Do you have a basement?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Maybe he was trying to get away from the crate. How would he have behaved in the bathroom if the crate hadn't been in the room? Do you have a basement?
We tried that before resorting to the crate. Same outcome, though today's episode was the worst yet. No basements in San Diego. We live in a one level apartment, with the hallway, living room, dining room and kitchen all totally open, with no way to even install baby gates (which he can jump, btw).

Old 03-19-2010, 08:04 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
IMHO, a dog is only as good as it's owner and many people who get dogs do not do their homework about the breed and then dump them with the first bit of bad behavior.

...it's evident Winston is a tortured soul and just doesn't know how to be the good boy he was meant to be. It's pretty evident, to me, that he has been severely mistreated.
That's a pretty awful video. How heartbreaking. I agree, poor Winston is a tortured little guy. Placing him in solitary confinement will only worsen his issues. He's desperately frightened, for some reason.

Have you tried going to a professional trainer (NOT Petco, etc.)? I haven't read your other thread in its entirety, so if you have tried a trainer, I missed that.

MAK, you've twice mentioned the fact that Winston "abuses" privileges. I do not believe that a dog processes thoughts as humans do. He is utterly panicked and frightened - that much is clear.

I had a rescue dog whose response was much like Winston's. It's not an easy road, but I never once thought she was doing anything vindictively. She was just so horribly scared of being abandoned. I was at a loss as to what to do. I went to a professional trainer and learned a few things you will not get on a forum or reading a book. To me, it was worth it. Because she was such a very good girl when she felt secure and loved.

Sorry, but no sympathy on your 'destroyed' bathroom. Those damages are an easy fix; I once had a dog who nearly ate through the front door frame.

Another clue is that you say your DH will be angry when he sees the damage. Would he be as angry at a little child for breaking a tv or something like that? I certainly believe that Winston is picking up on the fact that neither of you seem to want him.

Please listen to ZSP and get in touch with her. If you can't or don't want to invest the time and energy, please let ZSP try to find little Winston a home where they have the time to help him. Like she said 'a dog is only as good as its owner, and it's abundantly clear that Winston's been severely mistreated.'

Old 03-19-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Like she said 'a dog is only as good as its owner, and it's abundantly clear that Winston's been severely mistreated.'
If you're insinuating that we are abusing him, you're way out of line. We have done much more than most people would have even though to do with this dog. While he was at his previous home, we don't hit him, yell at him, or treat him any differently than PC. So please stop drawing up an image of me as some animal abuser because it is simply not true!

Old 03-19-2010, 08:18 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
All the suggestions have given me an idea: suppose he is attached to you b/c you treat him kindly and he freaks out when you leave b/c he is afraid you aren't coming back? Or the first owner will come back for him? Maybe it is an extreme form of seperation anxiety? Poor W and poor you - you have my sympathy but I can't really help much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs