Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:31 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,304 times

Advertisements

Ok, I promised an update so here it is.

Ellie had a visit with the behaviorist last Saturday. We spent about an hour going over her history. He confirmed what I pretty much already knew. Since Ellie didn't have any particular triggers or warning signs that we could work with and since there is a major size difference the safest option would be to rehome here. He said we could try Prozac and behavioral management but there would be no way to tell if it was working and so we could never let down our guard. Since Ellie is so sensitive to people's moods, she would never be relaxed either.

FiveHorses, you might be interested to know that Dr. Hunthausen told me he did a retrospective study on dog aggression and 75% of all cases were female/female aggression.

Ellie is currently at my parents' house until a spot opens up with the Aussie rescue lady. I got to know her when she brought in one of her rescue puppies for an expensive cardiac procedure. So I'm comfortable that she'll take good care of my girl.

I'm heartbroken of course. My fiance hates to see me cry and has offered several times to rehome Sophie instead. But Ellie deserves a home where she can be more active. Not to mention the fact that we're moving in a year for me to go back to school full-time and what with all those wonderful under 25lb restrictions everywhere, it just makes more sense for us to have 2 small dogs instead of a small and medium-sized dog.

I usually follow my feelings, and it takes every ounce of self-control not to take my fiance up on his offer. But everyone in the world is telling me that I need to let her go and I know they're right. I just wonder how long it will be until I can live with myself again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:39 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
I know that was a hard decision. (((((Hugs))))))

Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
That had to have been one of the hardest decisions. You know you are doing the right thing though. Maybe the Aussie Rescue can update you once she finds her new home. That could bring you peace of mind. Hugs to you!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Thanks for update Kansas Sky. Difficult decision to make but you love Ellie and know you make that decision with the best for her in mind. Virtual hug!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:57 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Kudos for doing what is best all around for you and yours and the dogs involved. It's never easy. (I just came back from euthanizing an adoptee- an older gal who had put my smaller gal in the hospital twice, and who was attacking my new senior terrier mutt. I put a blanket on her head, got her off the terrier, and she ducked the blanket and tore into my ankle- a three-inch cut down to the muscle. She had to go to quarantine for ten days by law. I had to go the ER by ambulance, and now, ten days later, fortunately do not have bone infection but have to have daily IV antibiotics for two weeks.
I don't hold it against the dog- I loved her. But she was fairly unadoptable when I got her (age, accidents) and then had all this aggression after several months to my smaller female. (I thought it was a girl thing, but then she attacked my male terrier mix).
If she could have been adopted anywhere, I would have happily done so.
For any who might remember, she was the "senior dog escape artist" who seemed to love to climb the outdoor fence, rampage around, and wanted to be free. She also wasn't "13 and spayed" as was told when she was removed from severe neglect. She was maybe nine or ten and NOT spayed. Very sweet, but hard to live with, and now she is at peace. I hope.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:31 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post

FiveHorses, you might be interested to know that Dr. Hunthausen told me he did a retrospective study on dog aggression and 75% of all cases were female/female aggression.

I just wonder how long it will be until I can live with myself again.
I am interested. Thank you for that.

In your head you know there's no reason you should not be able to look in the mirror and know that the reflection staring back at you did not only what is best for the dog, but took the hardest route out of love for the dog. Hold your head high my dear.

The trouble with this is that the heart doesn't listen to reason and logic. It just hurts.

There's no quick fix hun. But tell yourself every day that you did the right thing and that Ellie is going to be truly at peace and content in her new life. Say it often enough, and the heart might start to listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
For any who might remember, she was the "senior dog escape artist" who seemed to love to climb the outdoor fence, rampage around, and wanted to be free.
I do remember - she was an Arctic breed or mix thereof, was she not? There are some that we just can't heal. My sympathies, it must be really hard on you right now.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:49 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
I can imagine how hard it was to make the decison about Ellie but sometimes rehoming a dog is all that can be done. No chance your parents might decided to keep her after fostering her? I ask because when I had to rehome Phoenix because Jazz would not stop attacking her she never hurt her but it did traumatize her, My parents took her. That turned out to be a great solution as she loved them, they loved her, the dog they had at the time,Henry loved Phoenix and I get to see her frequently . When I visit she goes to the dog park with Dazzle and gets walks etc with Jazz and Dazzle .Now Jazz and Phoenix get along great because they are not together 24/7. It is now only my dad and Phoenix and the cat which makes me even happier that I gave her to them as she has helped my dad over the deaths of both my mom and Henry so in a way I think she is where she is meant to be. If something were to happen to my Dad Phoenix would come back to live with me as Jazz is too old now to really give Phoenix trouble.

I hope that Ellie too finds a great home.Know in your heart that yes you are doing what is best for her.

Brightdog lover, sorry to hear about your escape artist you tried to give her a loving home but sometimes things are just out of our hands. I do hope that your injury heals with out any complications.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:50 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
((hugs, hugs and more hugs)) I can only imagine what a difficult decision this has been for you.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:15 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,304 times
Thank you all for your support. It means a lot to me.

I am kind of hoping that my parents will decide to keep her, but I'm not counting on it. My Dad isn't too fond of her, and they're pretty happy being a one-dog family with the one they already have. I'm just grateful that they are willing to look after her until I can get her into the rescue. They have a big backyard and like to go on long walks, so even though I miss her like crazy I think she's probably already a little better off there. At least she doesn't have the tension of being around Sophie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Kudos for doing what is best all around for you and yours and the dogs involved. It's never easy. (I just came back from euthanizing an adoptee- an older gal who had put my smaller gal in the hospital twice, and who was attacking my new senior terrier mutt. I put a blanket on her head, got her off the terrier, and she ducked the blanket and tore into my ankle- a three-inch cut down to the muscle. She had to go to quarantine for ten days by law. I had to go the ER by ambulance, and now, ten days later, fortunately do not have bone infection but have to have daily IV antibiotics for two weeks.
I don't hold it against the dog- I loved her. But she was fairly unadoptable when I got her (age, accidents) and then had all this aggression after several months to my smaller female. (I thought it was a girl thing, but then she attacked my male terrier mix).
If she could have been adopted anywhere, I would have happily done so.
For any who might remember, she was the "senior dog escape artist" who seemed to love to climb the outdoor fence, rampage around, and wanted to be free. She also wasn't "13 and spayed" as was told when she was removed from severe neglect. She was maybe nine or ten and NOT spayed. Very sweet, but hard to live with, and now she is at peace. I hope.
I am so sorry for what you've been through. I've come to believe that dogs can suffer emotionally and mentally too. Sometimes they can be 'fixed' with the right care, but many times they can't. I don't believe it's any more wrong to euthanize these patients than to euthanize a patient suffering from physical pain.

I am extremely grateful that Ellie will not redirect her aggression from a dog to a person. Hopefully all it will take in her case is the right home.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:48 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
You did your best, and you will continue to do so to ensure that Ellie finds a good home. You have explored all avenues in trying to keep her, you cannot ask more than that from yourself.

I am so sorry that you are going through this, but there is a bright side: she is healthy and you will find a home for her for which she is better suited. Who knows what joy Ellie may bring to someone else's life? My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs