Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 01:55 PM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times

Advertisements

I found this guy on the side of a country road. I named him "Walter" due to my last name being the same as a famous news man.

I named this girl "Hairyit" because I always thought "Hairy" would be a funny name for a male dog but I was assigned (dumped) a female dog so I had to make an adjustment.

Last edited by Wartrace; 08-08-2022 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 02:48 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
Love the name Walter...my Harry would have been a Walter but I was outvoted...plus Harry is also a also a famous news man so I was ok with that.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:39 AM

103 posts, read 52,637 times
Our chihuahua's name is Dora. She seems to think she is a tracker and wants to go into the woods. She showed these tendencies as a puppy and the name just stuck.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:42 AM

2,341 posts, read 613,440 times
My Goldendoodle is Bastian - I asked my family for suggestions and this is one my Middle daughter came up with. I like it. My cats are Maxine (she was Max before I found out she was female) and Leo - Leo is long haired and has different color around his neck - so Leo. Maxine is short haired - but she sheds as much as Leo does. They all with be 4 yo at the end of this month.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:06 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,026,236 times

Granddaughter just got a new pup.....Ryder Maverick (last name). He's adorable. I have no idea where they got that name, I'm assuming GD named him.

Yes 12 yr old GD named him!! Wow, I love it.

Last edited by tasmtairy; 08-12-2022 at 11:15 AM..

Old 08-12-2022, 11:35 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
My cat is named Patrick.

A. Because I got him on St Patrick’s Day
B. Because it’s sorta hilarious

Old 08-17-2022, 12:53 PM

4,843 posts, read 3,270,079 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...aying-ball.jpg

Two youngest Cavaliers... blenheim is Baxter. No idea why... it just seemed to fit. The tri is Charlie. Completely unimaginative.

Old 08-17-2022, 01:57 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
almost 14 years ago, when i was campaigning for a puppy in my household with my ex, i kept using the name riley... or how about ripley? or bailey? pookie, wouldn't you just love to have a puppy named riley around???

not only was my ex saying no to the names, he was saying no to the dog.

so, over a 9-hour round-trip car-ride on a visit back home, i spent the entire time defending my position on the puppy front...

meanwhile, back in my hometown, we hung out with some old friends and met up with some new ones, one of whom was named barnaby.

back in the car on sunday, my campaign began anew... 4.5 more hours of all-puppy, all-the-time conversation.

back in charlotte on monday, my ex asked this question: so, when are we going to go get barnaby?

me: wha??? who? why are we going to pick up my friend's boyfriend?

ex: NO. the dog. the puppy you're been talking about for months. didn't you want to name him barnaby?

me, falling over laughing: ha, ha, no! you got the names confused... great name, though! and did you just say GO GET A PUPPY???

hence, over 13 years later, here sits barnaby beside me, and it's been a great name!

(p.s. he does have an official pedigree name, too... but this is the one that counts!)
Good story. Unique name.

I struggle with 3 syllable names for dogs. I would tire of saying "Barnaby, down or Barnaby, come". One syllable names are just so efficient for dogs.

Cats are easy.

I named one of my cat's Mr. President, after the cat who was president of the universe in the silly 5-book trilogy "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". It was a luxury I had because you never actually need to refer to your cat by name, except at the Vet or the Groomers. The Vet loved the name. It was a party favorite. "Mr. President wants to sit in your lap. Mr. President just coughed up a hairball. I need to clean Mr. President's litter box."

So I limit myself to 2 syllable names for dogs, and one syllable is even better. It is just so clear when you are giving them a command. Not that longer names are deal breakers. Some dogs are smart.

Old 08-21-2022, 04:46 PM

1,864 posts, read 841,146 times
rosie e lee named after robert e lee but the dog a female

that what I tell people but really it just rosey lee, just a name, dont know how mama decided on it

Old 08-22-2022, 07:47 AM

500 posts, read 359,596 times
I got my first dog in high school . German shepherd mix.

I named him Sam - after Son of Sam.

I'm one of those who have an interest in serial killers.

Now, I name my dogs numbers. Worked in accounting most of my adult life.

Currently have 9- who we call puppy & 10 whose nickname is little man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs