Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:01 PM

4 posts, read 8,995 times

Advertisements

Hi -

My husband's job may have us relocating to the area between Duluth and Pine City. We're looking for the right town: not too big, not too small (in population or mindset), good schools for our kids, runaround room for the dogs, and (ideally) a lake for our small sailboat. I've looked at listings from Pine City to Duluth, and nothing feels quite right, and numerical demographics can only tell you so much.

Having lived in small towns before, we know they're not always welcoming to new people, so we're trying to do this carefully ... looking for a community that values education and has some knowledge of the world beyond its own borders.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be helpful!
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 05:16 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,142 times
That's a tough one to answer in my opinion. I grew up in Duluth and back in those days it was a great place and I would have encouraged anyone to live there. Nowadays not as much. It's a tough call with the outsiders and small towns. Esko has excellent schools but there's not much to the town. That being said, it's close to Duluth and everywhere up there is close to some lake or another. I personally like Moose Lake but don't really know how the schools are or how outsiders are treated. But I think it's a cute town. Good luck! I hope you find the right place for you.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:48 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
Cloquet is an absolute dump.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:29 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
That's a tough one to answer in my opinion. I grew up in Duluth and back in those days it was a great place and I would have encouraged anyone to live there. Nowadays not as much. It's a tough call with the outsiders and small towns. Esko has excellent schools but there's not much to the town. That being said, it's close to Duluth and everywhere up there is close to some lake or another. I personally like Moose Lake but don't really know how the schools are or how outsiders are treated. But I think it's a cute town. Good luck! I hope you find the right place for you.
My wife grew up in Esko and her parents still live up there. They seem fairly happy with the area, FWIW.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:43 AM

781 posts, read 2,628,773 times
I have a few friends from Pine City (college aged) that moved to Duluth for school. From the sounds of it for kids, there isn't much to do but drink. Just for sake of not being completely without things to do, I would choose Cloquet. Plus, you're much closer to Duluth, where you'll find plenty to do. Also, I don't consider Cloquet to be a complete dump.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,142 times
I agree that Cloquet is not a dump. I think you can find things to do there and being so close to Duluth helps.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:06 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
My wife grew up in Esko and her parents still live up there. They seem fairly happy with the area, FWIW.
That's wierd...I have an aunt and uncle in Esko. All I know about Esko is that the schools are excellent and so are their athletic programs. I believe there are a good number of commuters to Duluth and lots of new homes.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:55 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
does Esko still have that obnoxious blinking light aka "the heartbeat of Esko" near the school?

Old 05-15-2008, 04:26 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
does Esko still have that obnoxious blinking light aka "the heartbeat of Esko" near the school?
I haven't been over by the school for years.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:39 PM

721 posts, read 2,610,320 times
I grew up in Cloquet and think the schools and atheltic programs were good as well as the drama program. The director worked for the Guthrie for a time-or one of those theaters down in the cities. As far as knowing anything about the outisde world, I think you may have trouble with the small towns and even Duluth.

I also lived on Island lake near the city of Moose Lake in the town of Sturgeon Lake. Confusing yet? All three of those lakes are gorgeous. I loved it. The downside is that you are driving 45 miles or more to shop or do anything.

You may like Hanging Horn lake near Barnum. That is a pretty cool spot too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth