Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Honestly, it's a mixed bag right now. Healthcare is generally inflationary. Real-estate is deflationary and food stuff has been mildly inflationary.
I'm not talking about right now, I'm talking about inflation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 08:43 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
I'm not talking about right now, I'm talking about inflation
and im saying it's not as simple as pure inflation vs. deflation. we have both trends going on depending on where you are looking.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:52 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
There are not enough jobs for the middle wage earners. Educational experts are saying they are preparing everyone for college however not everyone is interested, able, or motivated to go. Those that do go aren't necessarily getting what they need to compete globally.

This recession has been 30 years in the making as the acceleration of good paying manufacturing jobs have been shipped out and replaced with homogenous service jobs that pay low wages and offer little advancement opportunities.

Without good paying jobs for the masses the risks of a prolonged recession remain. The increased structural costs and US debt load make a bad situation worse.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 07-20-2010 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 10:57 AM

507 posts, read 879,018 times
Quote:
inflation is good if you are joe 6pack in debt
Till you get it paid off and bread is still $78.99 a loaf.
Also, would not surprise me one iota if Supreme Court approved of financial
firms "adjusting" Joe's debt in any manner they so choose.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:39 PM

630 posts, read 1,874,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
No the government is trying to counteract the private sector de leveraging by taking on massive debt and transferring debt from private to public. While families and businesses instinctively know the solution to the problem is less debt and more savings, the government is trying to preserve the profits of the financial sector by artificially propping up real estate and stock market prices. Allowing deflation would hurt the rich disproportionately and the government is owned by the rich. When people begin to really understand that then they can put pressure on government to change policy. Unfortunately most of the public are like deer with their eyes in the headlights unaware of the truck that is about to hit them.
I will agree with you that wealthy people have more access to government than ordinary citizens.In our society the fastest,boldest,smartest and of course,best connected get to the top.People flock to this country by fair means or foul because of the opportunities it affords.Your other posts show you to be an otherwise intelligent person,I'm dissappointed you would hide behind the rich man ,poor man argument so many others do.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:58 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
I hide behind nothing. The truth is the countries policies have been skewed to benefit the wealthy at the expense of the middle and lower classes. That is a fact.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:32 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
I hide behind nothing. The truth is the countries policies have been skewed to benefit the wealthy at the expense of the middle and lower classes. That is a fact.
which policies? Despite what most liberals think, Bush literally let millions of people become new zero-tax filers under his tax cuts. It has only gotten worse over the last couple of years with the recession

47% of households owe no tax - and their ranks are growing - Sep. 30, 2009

Old 07-21-2010, 10:43 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:

This is how a debt based monetary system works. Plus when land hoarding and speculation is promoted more via taxes than development and housing, the bottom 90% struggles.

If we had a georgist based land tax we would not have nearly as much inequity.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:02 AM

630 posts, read 1,874,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
This is how a debt based monetary system works. Plus when land hoarding and speculation is promoted more via taxes than development and housing, the bottom 90% struggles.

If we had a georgist based land tax we would not have nearly as much inequity.
A flat,unprogressive tax is the fairest way to tax everyone.The days of collecting revenues via the custom house levy are long dead.Income tax,pay as you go,and applying it to ALL wage earners is about as Jeffersonian as I am willing to go.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:11 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
which policies? Despite what most liberals think, Bush literally let millions of people become new zero-tax filers under his tax cuts. It has only gotten worse over the last couple of years with the recession

47% of households owe no tax - and their ranks are growing - Sep. 30, 2009
You have to kind of follow the conversation. The policies I referred to were the ones having to do with the banking, and real estate. The government is purposely attempting to keep the real estate and stock market values inflated to protect the assets of the wealthy. The money they are using to prop those markets up is being put on the Federal Debt and will be paid for by taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics