Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:15 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,215,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroae23 View Post
A flat,unprogressive tax is the fairest way to tax everyone.The days of collecting revenues via the custom house levy are long dead.Income tax,pay as you go,and applying it to ALL wage earners is about as Jeffersonian as I am willing to go.
A flat tax is good is we have an ever growing national income without major flucuations.

Land tax is reduced on developed land, so it promotes lower cost housing.
The Remedy: Its Justice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
I read another good article..this one balanced about what some indicators are showing. Not "proof" of anything, but could be evidence of something as no one can really predict the future.

Double dip in the Baltic – Telegraph Blogs

A poster earlier in this thread noted that airline traffic is up while most freight traffic (truck, train,boat) is down. The linked article said this about the uptick in air traffic:

"Air freight tells another story. IATA said global freight traffic was up 34pc in May from a year earlier. “It is absolutely booming,” Lufthansa’s chief executive officer, Stephan Gemkow. But air freight tends to be a current indicator, not a leading indicator. It covers mostly finished goods, in a high-value added niche. It accounts for 1pc of global tonnage shipped, but 33pc of total value."

The article summarizes by saying we'll really know which way we're headed in the next 3-4 months.
So we wait another quarter.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 AM

630 posts, read 1,874,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
You have to kind of follow the conversation. The policies I referred to were the ones having to do with the banking, and real estate. The government is purposely attempting to keep the real estate and stock market values inflated to protect the assets of the wealthy. The money they are using to prop those markets up is being put on the Federal Debt and will be paid for by taxpayers.
Jim,I doubt this debt will ever be paid for by anyone,other than the people who hold the worthless paper,they will pay with their losses.Debt will continued to be rolled over and snowball until it becomes unsustainable.As I have stated in other posts and threads,I am short U.S. Treasuries,I have only nibbled at this so far,trying to heed Keynes advice that markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroae23 View Post
Jim,I doubt this debt will ever be paid for by anyone,other than the people who hold the worthless paper,they will pay with their losses.Debt will continued to be rolled over and snowball until it becomes unsustainable.As I have stated in other posts and threads,I am short U.S. Treasuries,I have only nibbled at this so far,trying to heed Keynes advice that markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.
As go treasuries, so goes the value of the dollar. I believe the confidence in the dollar has less to do with our financial position and more to do with our military position. Pressures caused by world wide depressions usually end in war. Since the chances of economic recovery are slim, I reason there is much being bet on our ability to prevail in war. With the Chinese real estate market beginning to implode, and Europe beginning their policy of austerity, look for tensions to increase worldwide.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:15 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
If you want to exist in a fantasy world and call it optimism, that’s fine, but calling a sow a silk purse does not make it so. To the people who are living in reality, stay out of debt and build cash positions to take advantage of what is coming. The haze from the smoke and mirrors is beginning to clear, and soon the situation will be undeniable here as it is in Europe now.
Since we're doing blasts from the past recently, I love this gem from July 2010.

S&P 500 at time of this post = 1064
6 months later = 1283
one year later = 1316
currently = 2101

I wonder how long this guy stuck it out with the "build up cash for what is coming" before realizing how poor that prognostication was and punting?

Old 06-28-2015, 06:46 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,559,630 times
He ain't no Dr.Doom.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:52 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
As go treasuries, so goes the value of the dollar. I believe the confidence in the dollar has less to do with our financial position and more to do with our military position. Pressures caused by world wide depressions usually end in war. Since the chances of economic recovery are slim, I reason there is much being bet on our ability to prevail in war. With the Chinese real estate market beginning to implode, and Europe beginning their policy of austerity, look for tensions to increase worldwide.
actually they have been moving opposite the dollar. treasuries have been plunging , especially the 30 year while the dollar gets stronger.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:05 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
He ain't no Dr.Doom.
But at least from my experi4ence, both are wrong about everything.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:51 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
actually they have been moving opposite the dollar. treasuries have been plunging , especially the 30 year while the dollar gets stronger.
This is like the broken clock that is right twice a day. This guy is a piece of work. Year after year after year he posts his doom and gloom scenarios and mostly political "reasons" for his predictions. Some how he can continue his posts without ever reflecting or acknowledging that he has been consistently wrong.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:12 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Since we're doing blasts from the past recently, I love this gem from July 2010.

S&P 500 at time of this post = 1064
6 months later = 1283
one year later = 1316
currently = 2101

I wonder how long this guy stuck it out with the "build up cash for what is coming" before realizing how poor that prognostication was and punting?
"You have to kind of follow the conversation. The policies I referred to were the ones having to do with the banking, and real estate. The government is purposely attempting to keep the real estate and stock market values inflated to protect the assets of the wealthy. The money they are using to prop those markets up is being put on the Federal Debt and will be paid for by taxpayers."

If you don't understand our money and money systems, then chances are your predictions will turn out no more accurate than a monkey's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics